Making chain lube easier - interesting product - Z Chain Cleaner Oiler

IG.

Registered
The link

zoiler1.jpg

Z Chain Cleaner - Oiler

This very useful accessory is a must-have for any rider's toolbox.

The Z chain oiler is a deceptively simple but ingenious device that allows you to clean and oil your chain efficiently and easily without getting covered in mess! Regular oiling enhances chain life and avoids costly chain replacement, and can also increase performance due to improved efficiency.
How it works:
Fitting all chains, you clamp it over your chain, with the bike on a stand, and using an aerosol inject either cleaner/degreaser (like WD40), to clean your chain, then inject your favorite brand of chain lube directly onto the chain - all the while rotating the rear wheel to pull the chain through the oiler.

User report:
Prior to it's first cleaning, the chain had close to 3,000 miles on it, and was pretty dirty and a bit rusty in places. Three passes through the chain cleaner, and it emerged spotless. Not only was the job performed in a fraction of the time it would have taken me had I used the standard kerosene and toothbrush method, but it was done without leaving oil and solvent spatter on myself or on the bike.

I couldn't quite figure out how one person could do the job, so I called them up and they explained that the thing is anchored to the bike via included string, so one hand rotates the rear wheel, another hand squeezes a can of cleaner/lube, while the attachment slides over the chain.

Last edited:
I bought this.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

The product itself is flimsy plastic. The cover that must open and close to get it on and off the chain has no hinge, it's just a thin piece of plastic with a fold in it.

The unit won't work unless it's perfectly straight on the chain, this means the anchor point must be exactly in line with the chain or it will twist and fall off. The hinge will just flap open.

When you spray, it just dribbles into the chain (the spout is funneled into two outputs which remove all pressure your spray would have otherwise had). There is NO benefit from using this. It takes too long to setup (attach to chain, attach anchor, attach spray bottle, etc) than it would for you to normally clean your chain. Also the plastic fingers that look like they'd clean your chain, are just semi-hard plastic. They won't wipe much off the chain. You're much better with a brush.

I literally messed with it for 5 mins then threw it into the trash.

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Last edited:
Sounds and looks great! Went to purchase it and came time for shipping and they wanted $12.95 to ship a piece of plastic that weights nothing. They can keep it for the much. Im not cheap, it's the point that they think they can get away with it, that bothers me the most.

Thanks for the information

how does it sound and look great? It's the worse POS thing I've ever ordered for a bike.

Ouch!

I just orderd one on Amazon. At least, the shipping was under $5. I will give it a shot. I agree that selling a piece of plastic for $14.99 is a rip off.

looks like a Grunge Brush tip "modified" to deliver oil

RRA-1160780001.jpg

Last edited:
This is the only cleaning I ever do regularly. Cleaning the chain is a pain in the #$$ and that's that. I've tried everything and kerosene, a stiff brush (above), a scarificial towel, elbow grease, time and your choice of lube. That's it. End of story.

It would be easy to clean if you could easily remove the chain, but alas that's a whole nother kettle of fish...

A small fortune awaits the fellow who can solve this problem.

A shop towel and Dupont is all you need to keep your chain clean and lubed.
4631953918_9fc9f6d15d.jpg

Here's the result. Old pic but you get the same result every time you use it.
4612248914_1d4c893435_b.jpg

The Tirox looks like a pretty useful product, I think I will pick one up.

kerosene and old rags then chain lube. 3 gallons of kerosene I bought 3 years ago probabally have 2 gallons left its cost effictive and the best

OK. I got the thing in the mail. Finally tried and have to agree - this is crap the way it comes out of the box, and won't work. However, with slight tweaking I got it to work by attaching it as shown in the pictures and in two of videos.

Embedded videos don't work for me...

[URL="
Z Chain Oiler - Lubing Hayabusa chain - Part 1[/URL]

[URL="
Z Chain Oiler - Lubing Hayabusa chain - Part 2[/URL]

100_3663.jpg

100_3664.jpg

100_3665.jpg

100_3666.jpg

100_3667.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the amount of time it takes to snap the unit to the chain, get it aligned, attach the cord to anchor it. Then hook up a bottle of WD-40 (or whatever you happen to be using) and spray. Just aim the WD-40 on the chain and be done! Or spray then wipe the chain with a rag...

In theory this looked great, but in reality, it won't do what it claims.

Last edited:
Well, once figured out, it doesn't take long.

What I like about it, that you obviously avoid the overspray and the follow up cleaning. And second, that the chain get scrubbed all around as you rotate the wheel.

It would still drip a few drops down though, so having a piece of carton on the floor is still a must.

Knowing what I know now, I am not sure whether I would've ordered one. I do feel that long term I will be using it.

I use some WD-40 on a rag to clean up my chain, dry it off, then I lube it with chain wax. Only on the inside. Spraying the outside is completely redundant.

Seems like a lot of work to me.

I agree. The way I do it is this....

I hold the shop towel underneath the chain to make sure I don't spray the Dupont on the wheel and do 3-4 links at a time and wipe off the excess as soon as I sprayed. That's all there is to it. No mess at all.

Back