Can my insurance company do this?

MR Felt

Registered
Two weeks ago we had a brutal wind storm with high gusts and my bike blew on its side. I went to the dealer and got a quote for the damage, turned it in to State Farm. I got an email tonight and they want to pay the shop, not me.
Can they dictate to me where I get the parts or repair?? The quote was for $1500.
One of the damaged parts was one of my two cans. I don't want to invest in the stock exhaust system The stealer prices the cans out at $470.00 that is half way to a Brocks/Yoshi ect. I don't want to invest in the stock exhaust.

If this turns out to be the case I need a board member who works for a Suzuki shop who I can get parts from and shipped here. There is a lot of ways to chop up $1500. and I would like it done my way.

same thing here happened to my gen1 with geico, tell the dealer you want a different system they should do it mine did

what did the FINE print in your policy say about who/where/how repairs are done?

From my experience the ins company has wrote a check to a shop and me...requiring two signatures. The shop will tell the ins adjuster his rate (which state farm knows) and the cost of parts to bring it back to pre accident condition. If you decide to upgrade the parts or forgo stock part #'s that seems like they will work with you. If you want to forgo replacing parts and still collect the full amount that is between you and the shop...likley they will work something out that is not going to get them in trouble. Tell the shop your intentions and see what they say...if it is flat out no...try another shop.

That is pretty standard really. Although, you do not have to get stock pipes put on, just work with the dealer and get what you want put on. Of course, if you want to get a full system you will have to pay the difference.

I did the same thing when some one pulled out in front of me and I wrecked my GSX-R 600 a few years ago.

do you own your bike or do you have a lien? if you have a lien they will make the check out to the paint shop and you...if you own the bike you can have it made out to just you...also you can pick your own repair place if they tell you have to take it to a certain place this is illegal and called Steering...

do you own your bike or do you have a lien? if you have a lien they will make the check out to the paint shop and you...if you own the bike you can have it made out to just you...also you can pick your own repair place if they tell you have to take it to a certain place this is illegal and called Steering...

No lien...It's mine.

I am getting my busa back either tomorrow or Friday.

I got $720 from sf for my Yoshi r-22's "Bling"

Instead I chose $500 M4's, used the difference to help pay for a undertail/turn signal eliminator

Been over a month now, biggest hassle ever.

Call and have a talk with your agent. Seems like if the bike is yours out right then they should send you the check.

if you can get the check sent to you ....keep receipts of parts. If you ever damage it again...they will want proof you fixed it the last time.

ummm the bike is insured as is. It's not insured for you to afford upgrades. You're looking at the claim as an opportunity to make changes. Insurance isn't designed that way. I'm sure you would be a little pissed if the insurance company responded to your claim with a check for $0.00 and stated "to replace the damaged exhaust can a shorty muffler can from auto zone is available for $20.00. No additional costs are needed. Since your deductable is above the $20.00 total compensation you're on your own. Since you've reported this claim to us we've added two more insurance points to your record and your policy will be reassessed. Your new adjusted premium will be calculated and a balance due letter will be sent to you. If you do not pay the balance or wish to cancel your policy there will be an early cancellation penalty that will be assessed as well. Thank you for your continued business. Have a nice day"

:laugh:

Last edited:
I recently got into a 5.2K bender myself, and my insurance is through State Farm as well. I am not sure why SF did not cut a check to you, as that is what they did for me. In my name only minus the deductible. I then was able to fix my bike back up using aftermarket parts as they came in way cheaper than OEM. I t helped offset the deductible some. Do you have a history of accidents? Or have you not repaired a vehicle with insurance money before?

Not sure, but you may need to talk to your agent. I live in Texas, so I am not sur eif that makes a difference on why they just cut me a check. In fact in 2007 when my 2 week old truck was left on blocks, SF cut me a check that same afternoon, and I was able to go and get some aftermarkets 4" bigger than stock for 1G less. :thumbsup:

Whatever happens, try and talk to HondaEastJustin for your parts. he did very weel for me during my down time.

never heard of such thing. you pick where you want to have repairs...they only try to force you to go where they want too because the automotive place gives them a special deal

As others have said, talk to your agent. May be a mix up where SF feels the dealer still has interest in your bike. Being it's paid for, the check should be yours.

The check is yours. You own the bike so you dont have to fix it if you dont want to. Also as was stated by others you can take it anywere you like. state farm can not dictate this. What they can do is have thier own appraiser look at it and try to low ball your estimates you got. Dont ever settle for thier first offer or your first bid. Take it to other places that you know will bid it high. Have three estimates. That is the best way to negotiate with them. Also they dont have a say in what parts you use to repaior your bike. You do not have to use oem parts. I am an insurance agent on the side through state farm. lol so if your agent tries to keep it up Switch insurance...after of course you get an attorney and settle with state farm. If they dont want to negotiate with you then burn em. Never ever take what they offer. Always go for more. Hell you probably need to rack up some medical bills as well......Hint hint. Also dont settle opn the medical side money wise. You have the legal right to keep the case open for a year:) Make them work to please you. If they dont want to negotiate tell them ok just keep my case open and we will settle when i have all my medical visits done etc. That will loosen the old wallet up.

In California, a guy backed into me recently. 800 bucks damage. State Farm wrote ME the check. I took the bike to the dealer (after the State Farm inspection/estimate) and the dealer was happy with the amount. The dealer cost to repair was three bucks more than the check. The dealer ate the difference. BTW, I own the bike outright. Good luck.

if you can get the check sent to you ....keep receipts of parts. If you ever damage it again...they will want proof you fixed it the last time.

This is why they are doing it. They did the same thing to me as I used to fix the bike myself but they wanted proof positive the bike is getting fixed. You can take the check, not repair the bike and 6 months later claim it was knocked over by some little old lady backing into it in a secluded parking lot. Then you file another claim.....who can prove otherwise.

I agree its lousy that they are doing this but you can see why they are. I didn't like it because sometimes dealers get the check and take their sweet time ordering parts and doing the work while you have no ride. I have heard of people having a springtime crash and even though the bike was ridable, it sat in the dealership the whole summer before they got it back.

If the owner would have recieved the check, the bike could have been ridden and repaired at the same time. Quite often the damage is basically cosmetic but it sits for months in the dealership waiting for parts and they won't let you have the bike until its repaired.

Back