Help Needed..

Raw

Registered
Hi There.. :)

I have falled in love with a Busa from 99, and considering to replace My GSX 1100 R with it..

After reading this thread : https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/141014-best-busa-under-7-000-a.html, and around the net, several questions comes to my mind..

What was the problem with the Fuelpump on the earlier models.. ? So far I have read that it was only on the 99 and 00 models.., is it correct.. ? , or from what year has this problem been fixed.. ?

From what Year has the cam chain tensioner on the first gen. been upgraded.. ?

What was the problem with clutch since it has been improved between 99-03.., and from what Year has this been fixed.. ?

I have read that the sub frame for 1999-2000 at the welds can crack.., how big was or is that problem.. ? Should it be a main reason not to by a 99, 00, 01 model.. ????

Is it correct that the Frames should be made of steel from 02->

I have to make a decision in this week.., whether I should by the 99'er with a great airbrush paint or I have to be sensible and buy a 03'er and repaint it later..

If anyone can answer one or several of these questions I will be very Grateful.. Thanks in advance..

I have falled in love with a Busa from 99, and considering to replace My GSX 1100 R with it..

After reading this thread : https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/141014-best-busa-under-7-000-a.html, and around the net, several questions comes to my mind..

What was the problem with the Fuelpump on the earlier models.. ? So far I have read that it was only on the 99 and 00 models.., is it correct.. ? , or from what year has this problem been fixed.. ?
I dont know there was ever a problem, just that the filter and pump were in the tank on those years. I believe 01 and up they were external.

I am not sure on this one.

What was the problem with clutch since it has been improved between 99-03.., and from what Year has this been fixed.. ?
03 and up this issue was fixed. You can fix it yourself too. If you really like the 99, get it. Fixing a clutch is much cheaper than customer airbrush paint.

I have read that the sub frame for 1999-2000 at the welds can crack.., how big was or is that problem.. ? Should it be a main reason not to by a 99, 00, 01 model.. ????
Those two years the sub frame was aluminum. I have read they are prone to crack with passengers. I think you can swap in a later year subframe, but someone else needs to verify this for me.

I have to make a decision in this week.., whether I should by the 99'er with a great airbrush paint or I have to be sensible and buy a 03'er and repaint it later..

If anyone can answer one or several of these questions I will be very Grateful.. Thanks in advance..

Welcome to the oRg, glad you found us. :welcome:

Thank You very much for the welcome guys.. :beerchug:

I have now searched high and low, and some of the problems in the different categories seems to be Individual with no anwers to what year the problems have been solved.., but after all still interesting reading.. :)

It seems that the subframe problem can be solved with a Subframe Brace from TTS.., and attention to driving with standard exhausts..

If you really like the 99 and its paint job, and the bike is mechanically sound with reasonable mileage get it. The cam chain tensioner was a factory recall that suzuki will have to do for you for free, if it hasn't already been done on the bike. Checking the vin with a dealer will tell you if its been done. Its also the one thing I would be sure to upgrade. The ones that let go cost the owners the whole motor :banghead: The starter won't be an issue as long as you ALWAYS be sure to keep a FULLY CHARGED BATTERY in the bike. The first couple of year busa's broke cases because of starter kickback. A weak battery on a hot motor was the usual cause. You can also upgrade the starter clutch I believe to the newer one with just a bolt in swap, if it hasn't already been done. Unfortunately that wasn't a factory recall from what I remember, so you'd have to foot the bill on that one. The fuel pump and filter set-up is what it is. Its a pain to clean, and seems like it can plug up kinda quick sometimes, but its not a deal breaker in my book if you really like the bike. I only remember hearing of a few aluminum subframes breaking, and that was only under the right conditions, heavy loads like passengers+luggage and modified (single sided) exhausts. The stock (dual) exhausts actually help support the subframe to a degree. I wouldn't sweat the subframe though. Heck I'd even stick an aftermarket exhaust on it if I wanted. I just wouldn't stick a big heavy passenger on back for a long, bumpy ride :laugh: You can also buy a steel subframe for cheap off a newer busa if it bothers you. Or the brace like you mentioned. Same with the clutch. The 99 clutch should be just fine :beerchug: A good portion of the changes through the years were as much for refinement as for correcting problems. The early busa's weren't bad machines at all, they just had a few bugs to work out :laugh:
And welcome, enjoy whatever busa you get :thumbsup:

Thanks alot sleepless.. :beerchug:

Actually I have to admit I had read what kromdom was linking to before, but I had not paid enough attention to all the details I read.. ??? , to much information in a short time can be hard to absorb..

I'm glad he got me back to the basics.. :)

Thank You so much for all Your detailed answers 2Wheels2Live.. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Imo they are very very usefull.. !!, it's nice to have a complete overview over the first models there came out..

Right now I'm in the middle of a trade with 2000 model with 52000 miles on the clock, and a full service manual..

Also thanks for the welcome.. :beerchug:

Thank You so much for all Your detailed answers 2Wheels2Live.. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Imo they are very very usefull.. !!, it's nice to have a complete overview over the first models there came out..

Right now I'm in the middle of a trade with 2000 model with 52000 miles on the clock, and a full service manual..

Also thanks for the welcome.. :beerchug:
I hope I helped you :thumbsup: Whatever busa you get you'll enjoy, they're great bikes with bulletproof engines that will last forever. Keep us up to date on what you end up getting. And there's always lots of good info here on the board if you need it :beerchug:

I hope I helped you :thumbsup: Whatever busa you get you'll enjoy, they're great bikes with bulletproof engines that will last forever. Keep us up to date on what you end up getting. And there's always lots of good info here on the board if you need it :beerchug:

You sure did.. :thumbsup:

I have already used several hours on the board, so yes indeed there's alot of good info and stuff here.. :thumbsup:

Sure I will keep You guys updated.. :)

Thanks for the welcome red1100.. :) :beerchug:

Back