Making exhaust louder?

mysql

Registered
This is going to sound stupid, but my bike with Ti full race exhaust (single sided) is really quiet. It really doesn't make any sound unless I'm on the throttle.

I'd rather the bike make a little more noise, but the Akrapovic is too nice for me to want to swap out. I was thinking about removing the packing in the exhaust, but since it's Ti, I don't know if it's going to sound terrible after.

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Cut 3 or 4 inches off the length of the can on the end the pipe goes into. Re drill and rivet, leave the packing in.

Here's what the bike sounds like right now:

If it's the nature of the engine to sound like this and not very loud, I'm ok with it I guess... the video makes it sound louder than it really is when cruising at 4k. In fact my SV650 (v-twin) is several times louder in real life, but on youtube videos, it sounds just as loud as the busa.

I had Yoshi RS-3 stainless exhaust which is much like what you have. I removed the baffles and packing it it. I was very happy with the sound. If standing directly behind it because the exhaist is thin stainless steel you may get a little bit of metal sound in the exhaust. Hard to explain unless you hear it. I was still very happy with the sound after taking the insides out than I was with them in. Only reason I replaced them was because I cam across a Yoshie carbon fiber TRS exhaust that matched my new paint better and had to get it. I also took the baffles and packing out of it but there is no metal sound because the muffler is fiber glass.

In other words you may be happy with it you may not. Does make a nice difference in shound. Worse comes to worse buy some exhaust packing from the manufacturer and just repack the exhaust the same day if you dont like it :thumbsup: the packing is cheap

Last edited:
I had Yoshi RS-3 stainless exhaust which is much like what you have. I removed the baffles and packing it it. I was very happy with the sound. If standing directly behind it because the exhaist is thin stainless steel you may get a little bit of metal sound in the exhaust. Hard to explain unless you hear it. I was still very happy with the sound after taking the insides out than I was with them in. Only reason I replaced them was because I cam across a Yoshie carbon fiber TRS exhaust that matched my new paint better and had to get it. I also took the baffles and packing out of it but there is no metal sound because the muffler is fiber glass.

In other words you may be happy with it you may not. Does make a nice difference in shound. Worse comes to worse buy some exhaust packing from the manufacturer and just repack the exhaust the same day if you dont like it :thumbsup: the packing is cheap

Yeah, it's kind of a hi pitch ringing sound with the guts out. Shortening the muffler leaving the packing in will get louder the shorter you go, but retains a similiar sound to how it was before.
Both ways sound good, but gutted can draw more of the wrong kind of attention, depending on where you live.

I've seen some people online shorten an exhaust, but I've never done anything like that. Most of my tools are for wood working. I'd be worried about messing it up.

I've seen some people online shorten an exhaust, but I've never done anything like that. Most of my tools are for wood working. I'd be worried about messing it up.

Drill the rivets at the pipe end, they have to come out whether you gut it or shorten it anyway. Measure what you like the look of, start with around 3", you can always cut again if you don't think it's enough.
Make one straight cut completely through with a sawzall, portaband or bandsaw with a fine tooth metal blade.
Wrap a piece of masking tape around the muffler and use the edge as a guide, cut slowly, let the blade do the work. Fit the pipe back together and use a pencil or sharpie to mark the holes. Take the pipe back apart, center punch for a good start for the bit and drill. Pop rivet back together.
Cover the muffler up with a towel and put it in a vice, or use a C clamp(s) to hold it to a workbench. It's actually really simple.:thumbsup:

Back