Very Very Poor Running Busa need advise please

RedBusarider

Registered
I searched the forum a lot and haven't found a problem just like mine.
My 2004 Busa with 4500 miles is sick. It starts just fine and idles OK.
As soon as I start to ride it, it bogs down and hesitates. The problem is that this happens at all speeds and RPM's. Not just a certain range.
If I maintain a constant speed (say 65 mph) it runs pretty steady although maybe not as smooth as usual. If I ride say 25 mph it really is jerky and sounds sick. If I crank on the throttle it slows down then speeds up then slows down and then will take off. The exhaust sounds different too.
The bike is almost totally stock, no engine mods or exhaust changes have been made. I'm thinking that maybe the fuel filter is clogged? I have checked the hoses and found no cracks or leaks so far. With only 4500 miles, everything looks pretty good yet, under the hood. Any ideas will be welcome. If it is a filter, that's inside the fuel pump right? Is that a big job to change? If anyone can think of something else to try first I'm all ears!
Thanks in advance for any help/ideas!!:bowdown:

Id look at the fuel filter, its not too bad to get the tank off and get to the assembly, but Ive never taken one apart ect. ..

I would say start with the easiest and proceed to a point your not capable of doing.

1) Check Fuel Filter
2) Plugs
3) Defective intake air pressure sensor or circuit (are you getting a fault code ? )
4) Fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator
5) Vacuum hose (I think you said your checked them)
6) Fuel Injectors

It can also be a defective coolent temp sensor or a thermostat

But I think, it's probably a CLOGGED FUEL FILTER or FUEL LINE :thumbsup:
I hope so, because the fix is EASY - SMEESY :beerchug:

I would say start with the easiest and proceed to a point your not capable of doing.

3) Defective intake air pressure sensor or circuit (are you getting a fault code ? )

It can also be a defective coolent temp sensor or a thermostat

I hope so, because the fix is EASY - SMEESY :beerchug:

They can be going bad and not throwing fault codes. These are the places I'd start looking. The manual tells you how to test them.

I would start with the air and fuel filters...

did this just happen recently after you filled up maybe ?
Could it be as simple as bad gas ?
+1 or...gas pump malfunction or.. clogged fuel filter...or ....gas tank is not "breathing".For the last reason all you have to do(just to check if this is the reason) is to use both your keys.The one stays on your open gas tank cover and the other to to the ignition.Take a ride avoiding high accelerations and heavy breaking...otherwise there's a possibility to smell and taste gasoline.If problem will disappeare then your gas cap is clogged JMO???

Last edited:
uhmmm..i'm a lil disappointed in you old dogs here..so here's a tip for ya'll...

TIP: whenever we get a newbie with busa problems?...

1. Look up his previous postings

2. See if he's had/posted about any "previous problems"

3. Or?...Electrical related mods he may have made.

and following my own advice?...

Redbusarider...i think you need a new battery.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

"My 2004 Busa with 4500 miles"

I'd think with the age & low miles, fuel system is obvoius place to start, skank gas, "varnish", condensation, water...fuel filter, plugs, then air, mice...., If the bike has been in storage it prolly needs some intensive cleanout. could be packed with dog food or something.

Thanks for your replies!
First off, even though the bike only has 4500 miles it has been stored IN the house during winters. There isn't a mouse nest and I don't have a dog!
It's true the battery is original, but the bike starts fine and I put it on a charger every so often.
I have checked the plugs and they looked picture perfect.
I haven't seen any error codes, however point is well taken that they could be there and not showing.
I had the gas level down to just under a third and then added fresh gas and took it for a 25 mile ride. No difference.
I guess the first place to start will be the fuel filter area. My bike never had fuel plugs with it. Do golf tees work, or should I drain the tank?
I also saw that there is a mesh screen before the filter is that right?
I'll re-check the hoses for cracks or splits and I'll make sure the battery connections are tight.
Thanks again

Also is there any Power Commander on the bike. If so disconnect it and see if any difference occurs.

humm you say your plugs look fine yet your bike is running this way??? i would think they would be wet with fuel and fouled out with what you have described, or the bike isnt getting enough fuel flow and the plugs would look lean, whiteish in color...

Back