If you've been in an accident with your bike...

Busa_Powered

Registered
Is it normal to be a bit anxious getting back on the bike, after being in an accident?

My bike will be ready mid week, Im excited but also dont know if to get back to riding it like I did, or park it for a while.

The car in front of me got cut off, and I tried to avoid the accident but grazed her rear bumper and hit the pavement and slid a bit. The car that caused it took off.

It was deemed my fault for following too close, I can accept that.

I got a better exhaust on the bike now (m4's) and got an undertail eliminator plus integrated tail lights.

I'm off on Saturday, and I ride with a group, should I skip it or what?

Really undecided at this point.

I was in a cast for a month or so.. once the cast came off i rode around the block with the wifes bike.. but my first real ride was vary scary.. 1 year later my heart still races when i ride or drive thru the intersection where I almost died.. but i dont regret getting back in the saddle again.. I kept the bike I crashed.. and bought a Busa :thumbsup:

i wrecked into the back of a guy and got bucked off onto the ground. it took a few days but i got back into the saddle so-to-speak and ride everyday

Based on your post, I would do the first couple of rides alone. Also, I would plan the rides in a gentle, country environment with low population. I say that because I think it's important to reduce the added complexity of urban situations. Riding alone also reduces the volume of decisions required when you are with fellow riders. After a few rides, then go out with a few friends that are understanding of your "coming back" to your old self! Good luck, remember it's about your skill acquisition AND confidence building. Raydog

I wiped my Kabusa out about 2 months ago, I am still off of work but my doctor told me to start working on the movement of my shoulder ( broke shoulder blade and a rib) as soon as he said that I pulled out my other bike ( 88 zl1000 ) and took it for a ride.
This was not my first bike accedent, but it was the worst one for the damage to me. Was I nervous hell yes, but you get out and ride... You will always remember the accident, but if learned anything you will be a better rider.

Best of luck
1ibandit

as was stated above i would ride alone or close to alone till i got my feet back. But ride you should. It will keep ya sharp.

Based on your post, I would do the first couple of rides alone. Also, I would plan the rides in a gentle, country environment with low population. I say that because I think it's important to reduce the added complexity of urban situations. Riding alone also reduces the volume of decisions required when you are with fellow riders. After a few rides, then go out with a few friends that are understanding of your "coming back" to your old self! Good luck, remember it's about your skill acquisition AND confidence building. Raydog

Very well put Raydog.:thumbsup:

Take it easy at first, but you'll be back into it in no time. I had a sililiar crash before, a car turned in front of me, no time to avoid him, just braked at hit him. I still think cars are gonna pull in front of me, but that just makes me more aware of everything around me and therefor, safer.

i got hit 3 years ago...broke my right shoulder, left wrist and damaged all my facet joints. the woman was going about 40-50mph when she hit me i was rolling about 10-15 preparing to make a right hand turn. the woman got out of her car and told me to get up that i wasnt hurt and then told me again i needed to get up before i got hit by a car :facepalm:

i was back riding before i got the busa but i didnt have a bike i just stole my dads VTX1800 when id go visit him ever month or so...the harley was about 6 months old when it got totaled

if i could have i would have got right back up and ridden away without hesitation but i was a little disabled only one way to get back riding and that is to do it:thumbsup:

I took 9 months to recover and almost 3 years before I would do more than a slow spin around an empty parking lot. Now, well...I reckon that you could say that I've gotten over it, but I still find myself giving the "eye" to cars coming to a stop sign from my right.

You need to get back in the saddle asap. Ride alone or with someone you absolutely trust just so they can be an extra set of eyes and if neede take point so allowing you to work on getting comfortable again. I had a major crash years ago, and to get me back on it a buddie through me the keys of his GSX R 1100 and said just go see you in an hour best thing I ever did as it didn't give time to doubt my ablity to ride. Good luck with your ride, relax and enjoy.

We all know the risk(s) of riding and when you put your key in that ignition.You are signing a contract of sorts, that there could be the possibility of something happening while riding.I wrecked my 94 GSX-R 1100 in March of this year and didnt hesitate a second to get back on any bike.
We ALL take a chance when we ride.Last week there was a wreck where I live and a friend said he heard it on the radio,and thought it could have been me.Come to find out it was the guy I buy smokes from daily and have a good enough friendship with to almost let him become a room-mate.He lost one of his feet and may lose the other leg too.I have MANY friends that are missing limbs,have roadrash,scars,pins and other problems that we dont need to hear about.You get the point!
I was told a long time ago,"If you ride a motorcycle,there are those that have been down,and there are those that are going to go down".I thought he was crazy maybe not so much!
I love riding and wouldnt give it up for ANYTHING,not ANYTHING!

So,get back on it, and have a blast doing it!

I think I know how you feel. Since my crash, I have been unable to get completely comfortable with turning my bike on mountain roads. I've ridden over 3,000 miles since I went down back in April, and am beginning to think things may not change for me. I wasn't hurt too bad. The only remaining effects are a couple of scars on my legs and numbness in my right calf area. Nothing too serious, but I just haven't found a way to get back where I used to be. I've determined that it's not the bike that scares me, but the trees, guardrails and other things that I could hit bother me a lot. That's probably a healthy fear, but riding the Busa doesn't give nearly as much of a rush as it used to.

As far as group rides go, I sometimes find myself at the back of packs that I used to leave behind. I don't know if things will ever get back to how they used to be, but I'll probably live longer if they don't. I needed to calm my riding down, and my crash was just the thing to help me do that...https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/130848-chattanoogabusa-down.html

You gotta get back on it. I've never (knock on wood) been hurt badly on a bike, but I will tell a similar story.

One of the 'no-no's in skydiving is a malfunction of your main parachute, which you then have to "cut-away" and pull your reserve (I'm keeping this simple). Some people have several malfunctions due to poor packing, bad body position and general stupidity. I was determined NOT to ever have one (I pack my main myself and am generally cautious about it). Well...about Jump # 860 about 10 years ago was my first (and greatfully, ONLY so far:please:). I was in a spin and tightning up under 1000 ft, so I had a clean breakaway and pulled my Reserve (not many have a complete break anymore because there's a safety device that pulls the Reserve pin as the main risers go away). I didn't have time to think about it until it was over; it was all muscle memory. When I got to the ground I literally wanted to kiss it, because I KNEW I could have made a simple mistake and would not be around to talk about it (kinda like when you see that cage pull a left-hander in front of you). I was pretty shook up (literally shaking). That was my only reserve ride in over 2600 jumps (knock on wood again).

I grabbed my gear, walked back to the truck, got my spare rig out and climbed on the next airplane, because I KNEW if I didn't do it RIGHT AWAY, I might not jump again. While scared crapless, I still climbed out of the plane and jumped again; after that I had restored my confidence in my gear and myself and I was pretty much OK. Just like going on a ride where you put on all your gear and try not to be real stupid, I do the same when on the dropzone.

Bottom line, when you feel good enough, go out and have an easy ride; waiting too long will drive you nuts.

BTW, it's taken me all season to get over the two trackday crashes I had in March/April...

Last edited:
Fall off a horse = get straight back on it.

+8

as soon as i got mine running, i was back on it. I took it easy for a while though, like i just learned how to ride. Then I eventually got back into my old groove.

side note: louder exhaust will not keep you from following to closely or teach you how to maneuver. Im not trying to rag on you, just being real.

Have been in a couple;1st one broke my right femur in 5 places and was riding again with the splint still on(bike was fixed within 2 weeks).

IMG_0186.jpg

2nd took a little longer(and stung a bit more than the first:laugh:),broke my pelvis/nose/left hand(perm. nerve damage)/ruptured bladder/broken teeth and 30 stitches across forehead(even with a full Shoei!)/hole through left shin/etc.,etc.,etc(and totaled out my '02 Busa).Spent 2 months in the hospital flat on my back(external fixator)and took a while to get moving again,used some insurance money to buy the '03 i have now.

IMG_0191.jpg

I was a little cautious for a while(neither accident was my fault)but never thought for a minute about giving up riding(started 40 years ago when i was 17,and i figure 2 crashes in 40 years ain't all that bad:laugh:).**** happens,comes with the territory.:thumbsup:

IMG_0187.jpg

My current '03 that i bought new after the accident with a few mods over the last 7 years(i can still get after it pretty good for an old geezer:laugh:).

IMG_0225-2.jpg

You'll be fine.:beerchug:

PS...this was caused from my crotch hitting the tank(car pulled out in front of me and T-boned it at 60 mph,then went 90' through the air and landed on my face...witnesses said i looked just like Evel Knievel),nuts swelled up big as soft balls so if you see you're going in for a hit like i took...JUMP!

IMG_0188.jpg

Last edited:
Back