Looking for help on riding southern AZ, CA, NV

wdkomo

Registered
I haven't posted much here, mainly because I've been able to find a LOT of information over the years just by reading. Great site!

So, long story short, my brother and I, and two others are looking at a mid winter trip to the southwest in January or February. We are planning on trailering our bikes, probably six total, and driving non-stop to get there. Ride for 7 days, drive back. A few things you should know:
1. We're in Canada
2. It's cold here
3. I am still riding, and I normally do until the snow comes and stays for good. December 1st last year, not bad for these parts. So obviously, riding in 45-55F temps is something I do all the time, and enjoy. If I didn't, I'd get like two months of riding up here.
4. We are thinking of driving/trailering to Phoenix, riding from there around southern Arizona, California and Nevada.
5. This is FAR from the dumbest thing we have ever planned. Trust me on that.
6. Renting bikes is NOT an option. If I go thru this much trouble to ride, I'm riding MY bike.

So I'm searching weather data for those regions, and I'm not at all turned off by what I'm seeing. Compared to -30F, 45-60F sounds like shorts weather to me.

I guess what I would like is some info from anyone familiar with:

a.) weather in those regions in Jan or Feb. Can we expect 45F, or is that to much to ask for? What can we expect? Please don't say snow. :please:
b.) roads/rides in those regions. I'm seeing lots that look good, but I would surely appreciate any advice on roads to take, or avoid.

I need some help! I cannot go another winter without riding my bike(s). Once I put them away, it's minimum 5 months before the roads are rideable again up here.

Thanks!

If this is in the wrong forum, sorry mods, move at your discretion.

Grand canyon will have snow so that is out.
Your not going to find snow around Phoenix and the Southern Nevada area.
Hit the new bridge across Lake Meade that is parallel to the Hoover dam just outside Vegas.
Ride from Vegas to Death Valley, enough highway in Death Valley to make that a one day trip all by itself. Where else can you ride a motorcycle that is 282 feet BELOW sea level?

If you come to socal, the Arrowhead or Big Bear riding is out. Lots of snow. However,
Malibu will be open, its right off the ocean. As for the San Diego area. It should be open. All areas south and west of Palm Springs are spectacuilar and are low enough to most times avoid the snow level.

post up the dates when your in town, Lamb would love to meet ya.

Expect wind, rain, fog maybe a mudslide, snow at elevations above 4500, sometimes half that high. Lows could be in the 20's even in the valleys. Who knows it could be sunny and 65 the whole time or could be nasty. Probably not as nasty as your winters at home, but be prepared for it.

Sign up for Pashnit's Motorcycles Roads. It will point you towards the good stuff.

Last edited:
Expect wind, rain, fog maybe a mudslide, snow at elevations above 4500, sometimes half that high. Lows could be in the 20's even in the valleys. Who knows it could be sunny and 65 the whole time or could be nasty. Probably not as nasty as your winters at home, but be prepared for it.

Sign up for Pashnit's Motorcycles Roads. It will point you towards the good stuff.

Sounds like fun! lol Can't wait to get there!

post up the dates when your in town, Lamb would love to meet ya.

Thanks for the offer! :thumbsup: Once we get this all figured out, I'll have some solid dates. We could sure use a lifeline when we get there, being noods to the area. Would be fun to have some locals show us the good stuff!

Keep the info coming!

Sounds like fun! lol Can't wait to get there!

Thanks for the offer! :thumbsup: Once we get this all figured out, I'll have some solid dates. We could sure use a lifeline when we get there, being noods to the area. Would be fun to have some locals show us the good stuff!

Keep the info coming!

Is that Kanuck for what we call "nudes" stateside? Bro I know you Northerners gotta be tough, but your gonna freeze your willy off even in a SoCal winter. When I said be prepared I meant ATGATT. I've got a noodsist colony a few miles from my crib. If your lookin'.

Is that Kanuck for what we call "nudes" stateside? Bro I know you Northerners gotta be tough, but your gonna freeze your willy off even in a SoCal winter. When I said be prepared I meant ATGATT. I've got a noodsist colony a few miles from my crib. If your lookin'.

My bad on the typo. Not that there's anything wrong with "nood"ing it. Not my personal thing, but good on ya if it's yours. Canadian winters have a way of......affecting.....nudists. Think really really cold swimming pool.....

I ride into late November for sure every year. Temps at best by then don't get above 40F. I'm not saying I ride 500 miles a day, but if the roads are good, I ride. I figure if I can ride a sled when it's -30, I should be able to ride a bike when it's +40. We are definitely acclimated to the climate here.

But I'm serious when I say this: we would be happy riding somewhere with 50F highs and clear roads.

Last edited:
Back