Crush Washer for oil pan bolt?

Speed King

Banned
I went to the dealer today to get oil and oil filter to change my oil and he gave me a crush washer also. I told him I did not need a crush washer and he looked at me kinda weird and said "you should always change your crush washer when changing the oil".
Is that true?

I have never changed my washer when changing the oil on my 08.

Maybe you should, I never have, I would imagine it's to help insure the vibration doesn't back it out the bolt :dunno:

I think it's to provide a reliable seal.

thats exactly what its for, and if you dont change it every time, then i'd recomend every other time. they only cost a buck, and you're already down there so why not do it right.

If they give you one, use it. They help provide a seal and also prevent you from overtightening and stripping the bolt out of your oilpan. Always try to use a torque wrench too so you don't overdo it.

search on here, i've seen where many people state they have changed their oil numerous amounts of times without changing the crush washer.... personally, I change mine though, and I safety wire the bolt...

I've changed my crush washer once. After which it went to leaking. Loosened and re-torqued the bolt 3-4 times and it finally quit. That's the only time I've ever had any problems with the drain bolt, so very unlikely that I'll ever change the crush washer again.

I've changed my crush washer once. After which it went to leaking. Loosened and re-torqued the bolt 3-4 times and it finally quit. That's the only time I've ever had any problems with the drain bolt, so very unlikely that I'll ever change the crush washer again.

I have never had any problems not changing the crush washer.

Buy a spare and keep it in the tool box for when you need it. I only change mine when I inspect it and don't like how it looks.

I would say after every other change, replace the gasket, I did, cheap insurance. Theres a few out there, from Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, all have a crush washer, and I found tht the honda one worked and sealed the best.

You don't need to replace the crush washer, unless you damage it somehow.

If you decide to replace it, be careful when your remove the old one, as scoring the drain plug could cause more problems than not replacing the washer.

I replace mine every time. It doesn't cost a lot, take any more time and I like the peace of mind. I also always torque everything back to spec when I work on the bike.

My honda cruiser drain bolt washer is soft aluminum, fairly wide, and solid in construction. Whereas my '08 zuke has a thin split type washer- at least thats what the dealer is selling me. On the honda its harder to gauge the "crush zone". But on the haya is easier to feel it crushing -then you stop. It reminds me of old auto type spark plugs that had a split constuction sealing rings. You would snug them, then go "x" distance or rotation further. I think the split ring type is much easier to set right by feel.

I change the crush washer every time I do a oil change and I would recommend to anyone that ask to do the same.
Crush washers by design compress when forces are applied to them. Two reasons they are used. One the washer gives a more uniform seal to the mating surface of the fastener, being made from softer metal (ie: aluminum or copper). And two. All fasteners lose some tensile strength and begin to stretch after repeated load and unload situations. With this in mind, the crush washer can aid in good seal after fastener has stretched.
If you were to buy new washer, you should see a diference in the thickness. It is recommended to always change a crush washer everytime fastener has been loosened.

Back