WD40 for chain - No!!!!

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
UPDATE: WD-40 and Motorcycle Chains
wBW Visitor "R.S." sent us some interesting information on the use of WD-40 on motorcycle chains:

"Saw your article on using WD-40 for chains and you asked for evidence of potential harm that WD-40 can do, so am attaching a photo. This photo is of a bearing surface from an airplane.

This is a ball and races in a sealed bearing that had been subjected to regular use of WD-40 for a year or two. The grease was NOT cleaned out before taking this photo - there simply is no grease and the brownish tint is really rust.

The ball had grooves (visible) and was shaped like a potato chip. The races had not evenly worn (see sectioned edge) and were rutted in spots, although neither shows too well.

We learned that WD-40 is really good for the light uses that it was intended for and that needs to be emphasized. However, it is largely a penetrant, which will do just that!

Once it penetrates into the sealed area, it dissolves the petroleum out of the grease, leaving the clay binders. What's left in the bearing is essentially dirt that cakes up, causing the balls to skid. Without the petroleum, the bearing will also rust.

The reason that kerosene and diesel fuel are still favorites and recommended by the chain people is that while both can be penetrants, they are a thicker petroleum and just what the O-rings are trying to seal against. Of course, gasoline cleans about the same, but with thinner viscosity and better penetrating power. In all honesty, I still use gas to clean (I'm lazy), but don't beat the bike often, regularly measure for linkage stretch and sprocket wear, and re-lube on every other tank of gas."

Moral of the story is to not use WD-40 for cleaning motorcycle chains. Does anyone know of a better product that is specifically designed for cleaning a motorcycle chain without dissolving the grease behind the O-rings?

wd-40.jpg

Does anyone know of a better product that is specifically designed for cleaning a motorcycle chain without dissolving the grease behind the O-rings?

KEROSENE...just as the owner's maual recommends.

Mucoff chain cleaner and a rag to clean, this is biodegradable and evaporates, then EP90 and excess wiped off with an oily rag, yes I get fling but only for one trip out then a quick wheel clean and it is good for 500+ miles

Have you seen Royal Purple's new spray lube? There's several cool independent tests online.

Ive used wd40 for 25 years on chains for cleaning and never had an issue. But I allways backed it up with PJ1 Blue Label. Maybe thats why.

One thing about cleaning the chain with WD-40. You can spray through the chain to get rid of dirt. Secondly, I never let my chains ever get THAT dirty. Dirt is never caked up on any of my chains. Maybe that's why I've used wd-40 with sucess.

I hope that bearing was just a test to see how bad something could get before it fails. Im a heavy industrial mechanic dealing with bearings all the time, and if we let a bearing get that bad, we'd get fired. I understand that WD40 shouldn't be used on chains, and I wouldn't use it myself. This isnt an apples to apples comparison though between a sealed chain and a bearing which has obviously failed over a year before that pic was taken.

I think the original article has no bearing on using WD-40 to clean the chain. I don't believe for one second that WD-40 would dissolve grease worse than kerosin would do. Also, the grease in the chain is sealed by an O-ring or X-ring which is under constant pressure from metal plates on both sides - nothing gets inside where the grease is - that's the main purpose of having an O-ring or an X-ring in the first place.

Actually, what is the purpose of cleaning a chain in the first place? All the grease is protected by the rings, right? I think the purpose of cleaning and lubing the chain is to get rid of all the gunk on the rings, and also to add a bit of lube to the outside of the rings so they slide easier - that's it.

I even heard (and agree) that a chain can be lubed/cleaned with WD40 only. Because it dries pretty quickly, you'd have to do it very often.

A light spray of WD-40 which is wiped off in a few minutes will dissolve an outside gunk accumulated on the chain - and that's exactly what it does.

I also use it to remove all the gunk from the wheels - spraying some WD-40 on the wheel and then wipe with a paper towel.

I'd be curious to see how long a chain would last if cleaned/lubed with WD-40 only, but done often. With follow up close up pictures of course.

Last edited:
I spray WD 40 on my chain lightly and wipe it off...then warm it up and lube it with chain lube.... 17k miles on this chain with no issues.

WD40 is not oil and it will break down grease/oil etc....it is a water displacer and is to be used under your distributor cap when you get water under it etc...but not for oiling anything even door hinges

WD40 is not oil and it will break down grease/oil etc....it is a water displacer and is to be used under your distributor cap when you get water under it etc...but not for oiling anything even door hinges

This may have been the original intention, but like so many things in life, there are a gazzillion of uses for WD-40. This also includes door hinges. I have this door of the shoe closet by the entrance. It was creaking. I applied WD-40 to the hinges, and not only it removed creaking, but because of the reduced friction in the hinges, the door started slowly closing by itself - probably because it's not exactly vertical. The point I am trying to make is that's it's been a long time - somewhere between 1-2 years, and you would think that WD-40 I sprayed should be gone by now. However, the silly door still slowly closes all by itself. Go figure.

Back