Causeway Creepiness

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
I moved to a location where I must go over a causeway with several over water passes to get to work, and have found that I get nervous/anxious when going over these overpasses on the bike.

Never have really had issues on overpasses before. Hell, I'm a private pilot and deal with heights OK in the airplane.

On the bike, though, particularly the Busa, I find that I've made overpasses into a monster and now become anxious while transiting them... particularly as I reach the top and go back downhill.

Has anyone else had a similar phobia, and how have you dealt with it? Had a really rough time of it today. Rode for about an hour today, and had a blast except when I clammed up on overpasses.

Appreciate any advice on keeping my cool... would hate to get rid of the motorcycles because of this fear, as there is no way to avoid the causeway while riding to work.

Of note... I've done just fine riding on, and typically enjoy, longer rides on US-1 and A1A. Don't believe I'd enjoy the interstate, but do best on lower traffic roads. The causeway presents irrational fear whether there's traffic or not (but moreso when there's someone behind me.)

Gonna have to master this fear or stop riding. In my 37 years, I've never found anything I can't do and would rather retain motorcycling as a hobby. Hope some others have found ways to overcome this type of anxiety.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I fear you shouldn't really be asking this question of a bunch of amatuer psychiatrists. It sounds to me like maybe you should have a couples sessions with a shrink. There's nothing to be ashamed of...I did it once. Sometimes just speaking your fear to another person can help you come to terms with the absurdity of the problem.

Mike I'm no shrink but I went through a period of anxiety/panic attacks once. I look back now and realize how silly it was. I couldn't even go from one town to another without freaking out. Turned around many times. People who have never had them don't understand. You just have to talk yourself through them and make a game or a joke out of it. It worked for me and I haven't had one in a long time. Oh, one important thing. Breathe! I hope you get it worked out. Tony

Mike I'm no shrink but I went through a period of anxiety/panic attacks once. I look back now and realize how silly it was. I couldn't even go from one town to another without freaking out. Turned around many times. People who have never had them don't understand. You just have to talk yourself through them and make a game or a joke out of it. It worked for me and I haven't had one in a long time. Oh, one important thing. Breathe! I hope you get it worked out. Tony
Pretty good post. Yes, it sounds like irrational fear, and that has to be conquered mentally.

But maybe there's a rational part to your fear as well? Perhaps there is rain grooving in the road surface in the over passes? That can make for a squirrelly ride and sometimes changing to a tire with a different tread pattern will help.

Personally, I hate riding over tall bridges. Don't like them much in cars, and really don't like them on a bike. I hate walking on "open" walks like catwalks. I'm not at all afraid in airplanes (also a private pilot, even aerobatics), but some things set off my triggers just like you, so at least you're not alone! :)

I know for me it would feel odd on a bike...I was in the Newport Ri area, although in a car, the road surface was like riding on a grate...it would take some time to get comfortable riding on. Better than buzzing through a long tunel.

Well since there is usually no police on overpasses just hammer that beeyotch over it and let the adrenalin overide the anxiety !

lol...blonca...

it has been my experience that a little fear every now and then keeps ya honest. When you loose that healthy fear is when you tend to be a little less cautious and thats when the trouble begins. Problem with fear is when it becomes an obsession. When iot becomes physical. I would say until then just enjoy the fear and realize it keeps you on your toes. Without it too much confidence could set in and thats when mistakes are made. hope this helps a little?

I have experienced this anxiety on certain overpasses my self, but only certain ones. Realized for me it was that some of these overpasses feel like they did a real horrible job of putting them together. Large space in between the slabs with a certain curvature to them. Going through those overpasses the up and down movement as I went from one slab of concrete to the other and the noise the wheels make as goes from one slab to the adjoining one. Felt like a roller coaster ride without being strapped into the seat. And having the thought of the elevation in my head, coupled with the fact, I am always looking ahead for hazards instead of down on the ground, I thought my anxiety came from the thought the next slab was going to be there :laugh:

You can feel the road moving when other cars are on it at the same time you are............

Thats was just for me ... seek help as posted above I just stopped using that overpass:laugh:

HOLY COW! I had no idea that others might have experienced this, too! I just don't get it!

It is interesting how, despite KNOWING that this "fear" is irrational, it is still a fear. I appreciate all the advice and stories folks have related... will work on this. The advice to focus on the road beneath the bike is well taiken.

This particular causeway has a few exits, at least.

Thanks,

Mike

I only had problems going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It's the windiest bridge I ever had to cross. I also lived in the area when the accident happened. Been over many different bridges and causeways and never had an uneasy feeling,barring the Skyway.

As of 4-24-01...
One of the 536 vertical steel tendons that hold together the bridge's 76 hollow pillars has failed from corrosion, and inspectors have discovered potentially harmful rust on several others.

Sunshine Skyway Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://skywaypiers.com/

I only had problems going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It's the windiest bridge I ever had to cross. I also lived in the area when the accident happened. Been over many different bridges and causeways and never had an uneasy feeling,barring the Skyway.

As of 4-24-01...
One of the 536 vertical steel tendons that hold together the bridge's 76 hollow pillars has failed from corrosion, and inspectors have discovered potentially harmful rust on several others.

Yea that one feels like your on your way to heaven :thumbsup:

I don't have a fear of that bridge but I was nervous when I saw some fool doing a wheelie over the top of it at NIGHT!

I personally don't like the roads that have the deep grooves in them, it makes the bike squirm.

Mike,

You have to find the root of your fear. This is fear of what? What exactly are you afraid might happen and why? I would suspect there is more to it. You did go over bridges in the past, right? Did you have trouble before?

Is there any event from your past or someone else's past that could instill that fear? Is it the grooves? The "no escape" road feeling?

Did you have other fears in the past (not necessarily related to riding) and if so, did you manage to confront them, and if so what method did you use? Is it the very first time in your life that you experience something like that?

Last edited:

As of 4-24-01...

WOW all the deaths associated with that bridge are crazy!
Scary stuff there!

IG,

Probably the "no escape" feeling to some degree. I know I can't stop on the downhill slide (cause the bike would roll off the kickstand if I put it down, anyway). Really don't get nervous till I crest the top of each overpass. Never have had any accidents/incidents on bridges, so don't understand the root of the fear other than to say it may be due to the nowhere to go situation.

Overcame my fear of flying by becoming a pilot. Overcame my fear of stalling/spinning an airplane by doing it. Haven't licked the extended overpass issue on the Busa yet. :-)

Interestingly, the fear is not present on bridges. I'm FINE on flat stretches that are similar (have a shoulder and room to maneuver). The issue presents only when going up/down causeway hills (even though we have ample shoulders here.) Heavy traffic probably started the fear. And the idiots who start passing me and are still in my lane as they go past.

Thanks, and hope we'll figure this out. GOD, I'm gonna have to see a shrink because I'm a chicken**** going on the causeway!!! :rofl:

Mike

Mike,

You have to find the root of your fear. This is fear of what? What exactly are you afraid might happen and why? I would suspect there is more to it. You did go over bridges in the past, right? Did you have trouble before?

Is there any event from your past or someone else's past that could instill that fear? Is it the grooves? The "no escape" road feeling?

Did you have other fears in the past (not necessarily related to riding) and if so, did you manage to confront them, and if so what method did you use? Is it the very first time in your life that you experience something like that?

More info... The causeway speed limit goes from 45 to 55, and traffic increases about the same time as the speed limit. Noticed a little nervousness last night, even on flats at 55-60 mph. Was calm at 45.

Most riding is in town at 35-40 miles an hour.

SO... my assignment for this weekend is to get a good bit of riding in at higher speeds. I honestly think that is the number one reason for the worry, the causeway may not be as big a factor as the speed.

Secondary to the speed is the traffic.

Learning more about myself every day...

Mike

Mike,

I think your fears come from your previous life where something did happen. However, in this life it's pure fear with no reason. If by any chance you watched the movie 'Apocalipto', there is a moment there when an older member of the tribe explains fear to the younger guy: "Fear has no reason. It poisons your soul. It poisons everything you look at. It feeds on anything you see or think about. You cannot argue with it. You cannot live with it. There is only one way out - get rid of it." - along those lines. The point I am trying to make that if it's truly the fear for no good reason, and if it's not your inner voice telling you something (you know like all of a sudden you get a feeling there is a danger ahead), you just gotta shake it off. I mean clench your teeth, say 'fuuck it' to the fear, laugh at it, trust in your riding ability and the bike, and just go for it. Ride back and forth a few times just to laugh at the fear.

If the fear makes you ride slower, this only puts you in more real danger because when you ride slower you have less control of the situation and this also invites others to pass you, often unsafe. Being more aggressive on the bike is safer for the rider. I also often use my left hand to gesture to other drivers my intentions, thus avoiding possible confusion. For example, if I am about to pass a car on the left and move into the space in front of it, when I am slightly ahead of this car I would point to that spot with a finger so the driver knows what I am about to do, then I take the spot and wave 'thanks' (hand up in the air momentarily). If someone is about to make a silly move, I would wave my finger at them, etc. If I had to stop in the middle of the bridge, I would've thrown 'slow down' gesture with my hand to the driver behind, and would've waived like that to make sure the driver behind got the message.

I went through my own fear thingy a while back, and still have a little bit left in me, but I am pretty positive about the approach. Over a period of a few years my great riding was jeopardized by the rising fear triggered by a number of events over a period of a few years: crash at the racetrack, high speeding ticket, hitting a pothole while riding to the track, hitting a deer in the country, having the bike shutting down on me in the middle of a ride, going down while riding to the track. All these events combined tgriggered fear which started poisoning my entire motorcycling experience. I was afraid to go even on a short ride. But I knew I couldn't quit riding because not riding would drive me crazy, so I had no choice by to confront the fear. I understood where it's coming from, understood its poisonous nature, and started pushing it back, curse at it, and laugh at it. Little by little, I took over the controls: went riding in the country (after one year of staying away from it), started doing more track days, and just more and more riding. You gotta get angry at it.

Hope you sort it out. Keep us posted.

Mike, the mind is a funny junkyard, isn't it? We got our first real rain this week in N. California. So, I saw the weather report and decided to get in an hour ride before the day was over. Decided to go up Cobb Mt..because it is very rural, hilly, and windy...Just as I started up I saw the pavement had already received some rain and it began to sprinkle...not rain...just sprinkling. Notched it back a little...Went a little bit further up the mountain..turns getting tighter and I felt the back end slip just a little bit...scared the every living poodles out of me. "That's it"...turned the bike around...and I can tell you straight up...I was like deer caught out on the ice with a wolf trying to chase me down type of fear. I was so nervous that I was litterally frozen up mentally...afraid to lean the bike..adjust rider position..kept it in 4th gear so I didn't accidently break the rear end lose again..You look at the MotoGP guys take a bike around the track when it is raining or the track is wet...now that is Balls-out
Mike..it is all right to have deep seated irrational fears..shows you probably are concientious about responsibility...maybe married..kids...job...and you know what can happen on a bike. Wet roads and me bring maximum pucker power to the hinny for me..if I go down it isn't about the messed up paint or sliding..I always wear the best gear money can by...Kevlar everything...but there is no room to slide where I ride..usually...off into the trees...bobwire..canyons...death on a stick type of stuff...but I have such a fear of wet roads on curves.
It will just take time and drugs:laugh:

Mike,

I just moved from there. Lived in Melbourne. I know all the causeways you can be on there. There are a few things that I think you are trying to process at once here. I had a g/f that rode there that had the same isues exactly. She literally would no ride beach side unless someone could get her bike thyere.

Let me ask a few questions? Are you new to riding?
Are you new to the Busa? Have you ridden on roads that are varied in surface ie. These bridges go from asphalt/concrete to a grooved surface without notice. They also have metal grates on some of them.

Here is what I will recommend. Start with the 192 causeway if you live close to it. If you are Merritt Island that do the Hubert Humphrey Causeway first.

There is a reason I pick these. I want you to go to one of these, park your bike at either end at the bottom and I want you to walk over that bridge and back. When you do that, you will be able to see and digest in your brain better, that bridge,m its surface changes, the winds, the sounds, the sights of the water WAY DOWN THERE etc.

I believe what is happening is you have too many new sensations and conditions that your brain is trying to process. Just like learning to recover from that spin. Yo need to break down the components and learn to control them in your head first.

It can also help to ride side by side with another bike, one who knows your situation. They can set up pace and circumstance to sort of be your wingman to get you into the groove.

Drop me a line. I will be happy to help if I can further. I have friends that are still back there that ride Busa's. We can get you fixed.......:-)

I can also give you some awesome ride routes to start doing. You will love it in no time......:-)

Back