Anyone run a car tire??

rmodel65

Registered
so on some of the cruiser forums people have gone to car tires anyone running "Darkside" here??

i need a good tire that i can get high mileage out of something with a fairly hard tread compound with good life i lean on it but im not dragin my knees or elbow:bowdown:

A car tire wouldn't be any good for anything other than maybe dragracing, and I doubt that.

Lots of people run them on cruisers.

I suspect their wondrous proclamations concerning how great car tires are no more than a combination of slow riding, an inability to lean their bikes, a stubborn, "I don't care how much sense you make I'm gonna do what I want" pigheadedness, all mixed with a tightwad's cheapness.

If that description fits you, and it fits many here on the .Org, than by all means give it a whirl, and if that description doesn't fit, there are many sport touring tires and more than a few threads on the .Org to help you in your decision.

cheers
ken

Last edited:
I talked with a guy who had a car tire on his Kawi cruiser a few weeks ago. He was also pulling a trailer. I he was happy with it, but then again he said he got 30 hp when he put a PCIII and exhaust on so:whistle:

I wouldnt run one on a Busa, there are enough long life bike tires out there to choose from. :thumbsup:

so on some of the cruiser forums people have gone to car tires anyone running "Darkside" here??

i need a good tire that i can get high mileage out of something with a fairly hard tread compound with good life i lean on it but im not dragin my knees or elbow:bowdown:

Man, it's one or the other. You either want a good tire, or you want one that will give you high mileage.

I cannot understand this mania some people have for hard, high mileage, long-lasting tires. - Your bike is your pride and joy, isn't it? So why skimp on tires that are going to help your bike stick to the road?
And where are these people riding? Are there roads with absolutely no corners? Why would you even own a bike in a place like that?

Man, it's one or the other. You either want a good tire, or you want one that will give you high mileage.

I cannot understand this mania some people have for hard, high mileage, long-lasting tires. - Your bike is your pride and joy, isn't it? So why skimp on tires that are going to help your bike stick to the road?
And where are these people riding? Are there roads with absolutely no corners? Why would you even own a bike in a place like that?

Yep, they call it Florida:laugh:

I wonder what my busa would look like with a set of super swampers on it ? :rofl:

Here's the bike to run one on:rofl:

500_BLUE__23_.jpg

your life depends on it... if you are not able to put proper tires.. hang the gloves up until you can afford one, I like running pures and the like and the cost is a bit higher in Hawaii than mainland but worth it.

Here is a couple of goldwings with car tires on them. sure hope you are serious about not pushing it in the turns because if you do a car tire will most likely push into a wall or off a cliff.

- Going to the Darkside with a KUMHO RF on a GL1800 Goldwing[/url]

video shows it turning just fine but make a note of the speed he is going through them :poke: :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that bike in the pic looks dumb. i mean, if you have the money sure, but for the restof us who just wanna ride i think it is a waste of time puttin that huge tire on a bike that is ment for agility and speed. i would hate to have that tire jumpin around while i slow down from 150+mph.
christ, could that tire even be used for speed??

Here is a couple of goldwings with car tires on them. sure hope you are serious about not pushing it in the turns because if you do a car tire will most likely push into a wall or off a cliff.

- Going to the Darkside with a KUMHO RF on a GL1800 Goldwing[/url]

- VALKYRIE DARKSIDE VIDEO[/url]
video shows it turning just fine but make a note of the speed he is going through them :poke: :laugh:

- SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III[/url]

that looks quit dangerous to me. i kept thinking he was gonna biff it

Last edited by a moderator:

After you get the car tire put on, when it wears out you can have it recapped for even less money. WOW think of how many times you could recap it.

Oh i know get a forklift tire and rim...that solid rubber will last longer than the bike will. i.e. the first corner.

I'll stay with buying the best MOTORCYCLE tire i can get my hands on even if it only last 1000 miles.

I Know and rode with the Kawi guy, Dan is a nice guy but he has his mind made up that a car tire is the way to go, as Ron White would say. "you can't fix stupid"

I to think that its ugly, but its not our bike. That person has the right to do what he wants to it. Everyone has an opinion, Im sure there are people out there that like the looks of it. I personally like a bike lowered with just a little extention. I have no idea why people have to modify their busa, its fast enough and looks great stock.

I remember there was a guy that swore by car tires. He did alot of touring and postd lots of utube vids. Then he did some more aggressive riding and swithed back to a regualr motrcycle and hasn't gone back since.

Car tires are for cars and motorcyle tires are for motorcycles.

I personally like a bike lowered with just a little extention.

I don't. I think those extensions look ridiculous, especially on a street bike. - If you're drag racing, sure, but on a street bike? C'mon...

My bike is lowered 1" at the front and raised 1" at the rear. The handling is much improved, I tell you!

Back