Busa Shutting Down

99busababy

Registered
I have a '99 Busa, while riding seems like anything above 4K rpm it's starting to shut down and then picks back up. I notice the guages shutting down as well for that split second. It does have a full yosh pipe with a power commander 3. It does fine under 4K rpm though. Has anyone had any similar issues?

Fuel filter. A few guys here have had the same problem, and it was the filter on more than one occasion. Use the Google search up above and dig around a bit for more details.

Last edited:
I don't see why a fuel filter would cause an electrical "stutter" and have his gauges malfunction. I would lean more towards an electrical problem not a filter.

I would strongly suspect you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. I had bike shutting down on me in the middle of a ride.

Since yours is '99, I would suspect you never took most connectors apart. The humidity/heat/occidation did their job. I would suggest going to autoparts store and getting a spray can of contact cleaner, and a tube of dialectric grease. Open up every connector on the bike, clean by spraying the cleaner, give it a min to dry, then stuff it with the grease and close it up. It will take you a couple of hours, but you will never have a bad connection problem again. That's what I did.

A couple of important points. Wear eye protection when spraying. Take your time opening the connectors so you don't break them - some of them are stubborn.

see how much movement/play the kick stand has before it activates the shut-off switch. Mine was doing this (made the tach to zero out)...caused by kick stand sensor...bent over that little tab so it wasn't so sensitive...problem solved.

The clogged fuel filters on 99s are a completely seperate issue...but as stated above, since the gauges shut down, this is probably not the cause.

Fuel filter. A few guys here have had the same problem, and it was the filter on more than one occasion. Use the Google search up above and dig around a bit for more details.

I agree with this guy:whistle:, if the bike wasnt getting enough fuel it would stall, or start to stall. A stalled bike wouldnt read any Rev's on the tach. Check the other easier things first, but I wouldnt rule this out

see how much movement/play the kick stand has before it activates the shut-off switch. Mine was doing this (made the tach to zero out)...caused by kick stand sensor...bent over that little tab so it wasn't so sensitive...problem solved.

The clogged fuel filters on 99s are a completely seperate issue...but as stated above, since the gauges shut down, this is probably not the cause.

+1 on the kickstand kill switch! I buddy had the same issue, and changed everything else before checking what I suggested in the first place. Have someone sit on the bike and visually inspect the switch with the stand up. In my friends case the stand didn't engage the switch completely.

Back