Im almost back on 2 wheels!

Rongotti

Registered
So I havent been on here in forever due to my situation, and I am finally back on my feet and ready to buy a used busa. What should I be looking to spend? 5 to 6K sound good? I would love to find another 04 LE but I know that might be harder said than done. I am using a student loan to pay for the bike so that I am not going to get gouged on interest with a motorcycle loan. I have been out of the loop for 3 to 4 years now so just trying to get my bearings before I start looking for a deal.
Thanks,
Ron

For a few $$$ more, you are within striking range of a used Gen II (seen some for sale @ $7500). You should be able to snag a good Gen I for $5K-$6K. Best of luck.

A month later still looking. I definitely dont want to go over $6,000. Having a hard time finding anything with less than 25 to 30K miles.

A month later still looking. I definitely dont want to go over $6,000. Having a hard time finding anything with less than 25 to 30K miles.

Really? I bought mine in March for 6,500 with 8k miles. Are you looking for a gen2?

No offense, but using a student loan to buy a Busa?

Student loans are for an education that might lead to a better job to help you buy a busa with CASH. I would advise this is NOT the way to go about doing this....you can tell me its none of my business, but it kinda is since my tax dollars underwrite the program...

No offense, but using a student loan to buy a Busa?

Student loans are for an education that might lead to a better job to help you buy a busa with CASH. I would advise this is NOT the way to go about doing this....you can tell me its none of my business, but it kinda is since my tax dollars underwrite the program...

Same thing I was thinking....:whistle:

can't default on a student loan either. don't you have to be going to school to get a student loan?

Give the guy a break, it's not like he's robbing banks and jumping out of airplanes with the loot :laugh: (my avatar makes sense if your old enough...) I say use the student loan you can ride the bike to school. Shop around I've seen lots of low mileage gen1's on Craigslist - may be different in warmer climates where you can ride year round though.

Ben, you might think i'm being harsh, but if this economic turndown hasn't shown people to be a little more conservative in their finances, i don't know what will. What if he gets the Busa, and then crashes it? He'll still have the loan and it's NOT dischargeable...talk about carrying a rope around your neck....

I am using the student loan money to buy a busa and save gas money from driving my truck. I am in school and my loan is not subsidized so no tax payer dollars are going to fund it or pay the interest. Just doesnt make sense for me to finance it at 15% when I can use this money at 4%. With a student loan they pay for your classes and then whatever is left over is direct deposited into your bank account to use for expenses. To me it doesnt make a difference if I use this money to pay my bills then use my bill money to buy the bike or vice versa.

I am in the financial industry and I can't see using my cash that is giving me an average return of 18% to buy a bike when I can borrow it at 4%. I have a good job already, but wanted a specific degree in my field vs the double major that I already have degrees in. My first time arround I was a scholarship student so I have no prior student loan debt.

@Rusell no I am looking for a Gen 1
@Ben I have been using Craigslist but I have not looked in colder climates maybe I need to check it out. i have been looking nationwide on cycletrader and havent found one that has made me pull the trigger yet.

Last edited:
Rongotti that makes perfect sense to me, I'm almost a little disappointed though. Somehow being so obsessed with being back on 2 wheels as to buy the Busa with a student loan was striking a chord with my inner juvenile delinquent. Who knew you were actually making a savvy financial maneuver.... photos when you have it!

Skydiver, no I don't consider you harsh, your skepticism was based on limited data and based on what info you had, you offered sound advice - a little surprising coming from someone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane. :whistle:

Rongotti that makes perfect sense to me, I'm almost a little disappointed though. Somehow being so obsessed with being back on 2 wheels as to buy the Busa with a student loan was striking a chord with my inner juvenile delinquent. Who knew you were actually making a savvy financial maneuver.... photos when you have it!

Skydiver, no I don't consider you harsh, your skepticism was based on limited data and based on what info you had, you offered sound advice - a little surprising coming from someone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane. :whistle:

Good luck Ron.

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANE! :moon::laugh:

@Ben with all I went though when I lost my 04LE in the divorce and the financial problems that ensued I wondered if I would ever be able to afford one again, just glad to put that all behind me.

@sky thanks and no hard feelings :)

@Ben with all I went though when I lost my 04LE in the divorce and the financial problems that ensued I wondered if I would ever be able to afford one again, just glad to put that all behind me.

Man can I relate to that one! It's behind you now. You can finally get on with your life again

Back