Could my oil pan be stripped/stripping?

jeremy_283

Registered
I use a new gasket everytime I tighten down my oil drain plug, I am very meticulous about the whole process, it started take awhile and i was like "ok torque wrench click now" and I went super slow then the torque wrench all of a sudden it moved the slightest bit easier (thats how it felt) then torqued itself back tight and clicked..... kind of a weird feeling, it has me worried, any input? I am hoping maybe it was just the final "settling in" of the odd sparkplug type gasket suzuki uses for these

Last edited:
... I am very meticulous about the whole process...

I think that's your problem. Tighten by hand, and then give it a little extra push with a wrench - like 10 lb of force (even with a 1 ft long wrench it would be 10 ft lb, if shorter it would be less torque). To verify, try unscrewing with bare hands. If you can't, do you really think any vibration can apply as much unscrewing torque as your bare hands? I didn't think so.

This thread could go on for ever, i have NEVER changed the washer on my drain plug!

You could have certainly stripped the oil pan using the proper torque, according to your torque wrench.

What kind of torque wrench do you have?

torque specs can be either dry or wet.....when a bolt is cover in oil, it is easier to turn and give you different torque numbers compared to a dry bolt....not to mention not all torque wrenches are calibrated and correct.

but i would guess it was the crush washer collapsing that you felt...

This thread could go on for ever, i have NEVER changed the washer on my drain plug!

You could have certainly stripped the oil pan using the proper torque, according to your torque wrench.

What kind of torque wrench do you have?
+1 ...never changed a washer myself to my 08.The first time I did, on my 04,the result was to strip the threads (couldn't feel the "tight" point)...so i stopped changing them.To an old bike of mine(YAMAHA XS ELEVEN) I had never changed one for 25 years(!!!!)and never needed one.Round 100 oil changes

Last edited:
Another vote for not changing the washer unless there is something wrong with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tighten by hand, and then give it a little extra push with a wrench - like 10 lb of force (even with a 1 ft long wrench it would be 10 ft lb, if shorter it would be less torque). To verify, try unscrewing with bare hands. If you can't, do you really think any vibration can apply as much unscrewing torque as your bare hands?

This is how I would do it.

Just tight enough not to vibrate out, maybe check it every once in a while, too many getting stripped out

My Busa had an oil leak from the drain plug after riding. Turned out to be the plug itself. Changed the plug, no more spots on the garage floor.

The Harley doesn't lea a drop... -L-

i have NEVER changed the washer on my drain plug!

I have never used a torque wrench on anything.

Like said above, tighten with hand then tighten with wrench about 5 Lbs force.

I agree, never use a torque wrench, well not never. I always hand tighten and then do another 1/8 turn give or take. Never had any problems. Even if it is stripped, i just bought an 08 oil pan on eBay for $50, so theyre cheap

I wish they would have put a steel liner with threads in the aluminum on this motor. The stripping would be a non issue. I don't know why they don't.

Back