Safety Wire, you do it for regulations or safety?

jeremy_283

Registered
Do you guys safety wire bolts and oil drain plugs for rules at a local race track or for your own safety? I've been thinking lately, if my oil drain plug falls out at speed that oil flys strait back on to the rear tire, any rider would be toast. I've been thinking about going to Lowes and getting a $120 Skil drill press so I can get these holes drilled in the bolts squarely but I am a little tight on cash right now so I was just seeing what others do.

I used a drill press for my oil drain, but have done others just with a vise and a steady hand. If you have a vice try it before spending more $$.
Just go slow and dont rush it.

I got into wire tying just for the tracks, but it didn't take long to start doing it off the track also. Once you get into it, why not~?~ Way I felt about it anyway...

Vice and small bit in a drill does just fine~!~

Been doing everyday pretty much in the Air Force and its carried over to my bike, all you really need is vice grips or just hold the bolt and drill. Wouldn't say as much vibes as a jet engine , although when I had my honda shadow the chain cover bolts vibed out and jammed my chain locking my rear tire so I guess maybe "sometimes" the vibes do get bad on certain bikes. Its just nice knowing they cannot come out I guess is what Im saying

Last edited:
Lockhart Phillips sells a pre-drilled oil drain bolt for GSXRs (all the same bolt), if that's the one your mainly concerned with.

Since being a Tech Official and a racer at Maxton, I have been safety wiring any and all items that could cause me to die if it were to come undone due to vibration. I do it for safety which is more than the regulations ask for. I have lost 3 close friends to LSR racing and no ones really knows what caused each accident. But if I fall, it won't be because I forgot to safety wire something.

Yup, Lockhart Phillips drain plug on all my bikes. Easy $8 and you will never over torque a drain plug and have to deal with heli coils and other nonsense.

And I wrap a hose clamp around my oil filter and safety wire that also. Five minutes of safety wire and I never have to worry about something vibrating loose and stranding me out in the boonies away from home.

Back