Yall stip out your drain plugs... thought of this?

jeremy_283

Registered
I drain my bike then give it a couple hours (maybe all night) to let the engine cool down before torque the oil drain bolt back down cause warm/hot cases I feel could weaken the aluminum ever so slightly....

not a bad idea, not sure if it would make a difference though. Would be interested what other people's thoughts are. Normally i just torque it down right after draining the oil. Haven't had a problem yet with 4 or 5 changes, but i would not be a happy camper if i stripped the drain plug, my torque wrench would probably end up through the wall if that happens:laugh:

I think your right on about torque on the drain plug when pan is hot. I stripped mine a few months ago and from what I've read, guys were saying steel drain plug in an aluminum pan while hot and to torque the plug is not good. Again, only what I've read but it makes sense to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hot or cold on the tensile/shear strength of Aluminum between 40F and 220F difference is negligible.

I don't torque, do it by feel, not sure how those Japanese Engeers arrived at the torque number on an oil plug.

This was my profession many, many, moons ago, so I have not lost my "feel" for a good woma... oops, I mean an oil drain plug.:laugh:

Like others said....

Utmost important to not overtighten. Temp doesn't matter.

I usually just warm up the engine for a few min so the oil gets warm and flows easier on the way out. By the time the new oil (cold) is in, the pan is barely warm if any.

I also agree going by feel is the best - it just needs to be tight. It does not carry any load. I do have it wired, too (for the track), but the plug never came loose.

Going by feel is a recipe for disaster unless your an experienced wrench. I've been wrenching since I was a kid and have done many bolts by feel, but still use a torque wrench on the crucial ones. I think its wrong to tell guys that may be new to wrenching to go by feel, the oil drain bolt is one of the easiest bolts on a bike to strip because of the oily threads and the aluminum. Plus its a VERY fine line between too loose/leaking/coming out on the road and too tight/stripping. Always use a torque wrench unless you have lots of years of wrenching, and are very confident you know how a drain bolt should feel when its properly tightened :laugh:
And remember, slightly overtightening over time will still eventually strip the drain bolt.....it'll just take longer to do it :laugh: A torque wrench and proper torquing really is your best friend with something you constantly remove, and is easily stripped like an oil drain bolt :thumbsup:

I stop on mine when the impact gun wont turn it anymore. :rofl:

OK im just messin. I personally don't use a torque wrench on mine... just tighten her up like I have done every vehicle I own for years and years.

Going by feel is a recipe for disaster unless your an experienced wrench. I've been wrenching since I was a kid and have done many bolts by feel, but still use a torque wrench on the crucial ones. I think its wrong to tell guys that may be new to wrenching to go by feel, the oil drain bolt is one of the easiest bolts on a bike to strip because of the oily threads and the aluminum. Plus its a VERY fine line between too loose/leaking/coming out on the road and too tight/stripping. Always use a torque wrench unless you have lots of years of wrenching, and are very confident you know how a drain bolt should feel when its properly tightened :laugh:
And remember, slightly overtightening over time will still eventually strip the drain bolt.....it'll just take longer to do it :laugh: A torque wrench and proper torquing really is your best friend with something you constantly remove, and is easily stripped like an oil drain bolt :thumbsup:

To tighten by feel, you need the following:

You have to have worked with a very tough Journyman, while you were still a young apprentice.
You have to have learnt the hard way, by stripping a bolt, then turning it backwards about a 1/4 turn.
You have to have stripped a few times and got your butt kicked real hard by your tough Journyman.
Eventually, you will develop the perfect feel and never strip a bolt or nut the rest of your life.

If you do not have the above, you MUST go and buy an accurate EXPENSIVE torque wrench.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I can buy 3 accurate, expensive, torque wrenches, for the price of one replacement oil pan.:thumbsup:

I put a dab of RTV on the bolt threads and torque it on the light side (15 ft lbs). No problems in several oil changes.

How do you know if it got stripped out ? I didn't torque mine when I did it. I just tightened it by hand, then just a little more with a wrench. I figured if it leaked I'd tighten it a little more. If I did strip it, it would have gotten loose, right ?

Ok aluminum does not change until 220 degree so cold hot doesnt matter but a torque wrench be carefull I would think you would want an inch pound torque wrench I just never seen someone strip one out even if you did order a helicoil for it no big deal these things dont have to be that tight nothing except vibration is trying to remove them.???

Back