Mileage on Oil

rdnckjim

Registered
How often should I change my royal purple 10-40 oil. Doing it at 3000 miles or 3 months but didn't know if I could stretch it because its full syn

Someone posted a very good read on oil just recently. What I took away from this article was that modern full syn oils are all good for 12 - 15k miles. The article was about cars, so it's probably less for bikes - but probably a lot more than 3k miles. I ride about 8k miles a year and do it once a year.

Life of oil had everything to do with how its life is lived. If you are a hot lapper every weekend at the track your going to wear your deplete your "oxygenated" blood quickly. aka rapid break down. If you are a daily commuter that doesn't really stress the oil with high heat cycles it will be good for a the 10k that some are working with. If you are a turbo guy that tossed your oil cooler in the trash.. Well, there goes the life of your oil and you better be sticken to your every 3k plan. Oil cooler helps prolong the life of your oil by preventing molecular breakdown which occurs more rapidly during high temps. Or you can just keep a regular eye on it. I believe, personally, that you can judge the "wellness" of your oil by just checking it and noticing smell, color, texture. The darker, burnt smelling, and gummy it starts to feel! Sooner you need to change it. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Also, it depends on where you live. Around here with all the dust and dirt in the air, better count on every 3,000. Because it isn't the oil break down that's the problem, it's the dirt contamination and NO; filters will not filter out all of it :beerchug:

Also, it depends on where you live. Around here with all the dust and dirt in the air, better count on every 3,000. Because it isn't the oil break down that's the problem, it's the dirt contamination and NO; filters will not filter out all of it :beerchug:

How does dirt get in your oil?
Posted via Mobile Device

How does dirt get in your oil?
Posted via Mobile Device

Through the breathing system. Even though it's what's called a closed system (which works OK if the bike is parked or stored) the oil contacts air in the crankcase. Filters are good, but if you live in a VERY dusty area (and I do out here) small particles will find their way through the filter system. That's one reason I've never understood someone changing oil, but not the oil filter. Once you fill with new oil, then crank the bike up, the oil just gets contaminated with the old oil in the OLD FILTER. :beerchug:

Through the breathing system. Even though it's what's called a closed system (which works OK if the bike is parked or stored) the oil contacts air in the crankcase. Filters are good, but if you live in a VERY dusty area (and I do out here) small particles will find their way through the filter system. That's one reason I've never understood someone changing oil, but not the oil filter. Once you fill with new oil, then crank the bike up, the oil just gets contaminated with the old oil in the OLD FILTER. :beerchug:

I always thought that was dumber than dirt too...4 quarts of clean fresh oil
plus one quart of old dirty oil from the old dirty filter equals five quarts of old
dirty oil...go figure. A filter is 5-8 bucks...???

Every 3k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Bikes give oil a real battering, so it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Every 3months or 3,000 miles.

I have done the "cheating oil change" a couple time over the years, but I will change the oil filter and top off with oil.

I don't understand adding clean oil to a dirty filter.

Every 3months or 3,000 miles.

I have done the "cheating oil change" a couple time over the years, but I will change the oil filter and top off with oil.

I don't understand adding clean oil to a dirty filter.

You are adding clean oil to dirty oil regardless if you change your filter. There's about half a quart of dirty oil left in the engine at all times unless you rebuilt it every oil change.

I always thought that was dumber than dirt too...4 quarts of clean fresh oil
plus one quart of old dirty oil from the old dirty filter equals five quarts of old
dirty oil...go figure. A filter is 5-8 bucks...???

The filter holds about a half pint, really not a problem.

Now currently using the Motul 300V double ester.Planning to change at 5k km or 6 months

Alisyn full synthetic @ every 1500 miles~!~

I run the Alisyn also (less than zero weight) and add the Petron Additive...this will cost you about 85.00 for an oil change BUT...will do you VERY good (at least 6K)...i happen to KNOW a WELL respected shop that used this in a bike at the track...in between passes made an oil change...but somehow when they went to make their next pass NO oil was put back in...but it had the Alisyn Less than Zero AND Petron Additive before...they made a 7SECOND DRY (no oil) PASS on the bike...when they realized it they had the motor torn apart and NOTHING was wrong with it...TRUE STORY...if there are ANY non-believers feel free to talk to EJ at Brock's...so Alisyn Less Than Zero Weight with Petron Additive id DEF the way to go...

Back