HID start up question

busa186

Registered
So I have had my 8k HID set up for about 6 months and I have been starting the bike by holding the start botton and then turn the key and pull in the clutch. That way the light does not turn on twice. Lately the gauges have been off the tach will be at 4k when its idle or the fuel gauge will be off. Sometimes the temp will be pegged right at the start.
If I start the bike the normal way this for a away. Does this happen to anyone else? I also installed a integrated tail light of that has anything to do with it???
I reset the gauges and all is good, just want to know if anyone else ran in to this.
Posted via Mobile Device

So I have had my 8k HID set up for about 6 months and I have been starting the bike by holding the start botton and then turn the key and pull in the clutch. That way the light does not turn on twice. Lately the gauges have been off the tach will be at 4k when its idle or the fuel gauge will be off. Sometimes the temp will be pegged right at the start.
If I start the bike the normal way this for a away. Does this happen to anyone else? I also installed a integrated tail light of that has anything to do with it???
I reset the gauges and all is good, just want to know if anyone else ran in to this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you need to move your ballasts, if they are close to the cluster they can cause interference!

Do you think it would happen all of the sudden? It was good for 6 months. Simple fix though.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Some bikes never have the problem and some do, the easist fix, is to try moving them!

There are also a couple other things that could be the problem also, such as battery voltage, it is getting colder out now!

Do you think it would happen all of the sudden? It was good for 6 months. Simple fix though.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

mine jumped around a bit, but then just stopped. So no real rhyme or reason to it that i can see

I'll just go faster. That seems to fix most things. Can't read the gauge, go faster. Wife wants to "talk about it" go faster. Can't make the mortgage, go faster.

That should be a ongoing list.

"The things that make us go faster..."
Posted via Mobile Device

I see problem thread after problem thread about the HIDS and integrated tailights/blinkers/leds. I hope they'rw worth it to you guys because I'll never be using them. I like things that work dependably for VERY long periods of time :thumbsup:
Basically I like my bike to be the one in the group that runs like clockwork on the week long trip while the other guys have all the weird problems with their funky chinese or made for cars add-ons :laugh: I've seen it and I've learned :beerchug:

I see problem thread after problem thread about the HIDS and integrated tailights/blinkers/leds. I hope they'rw worth it to you guys because I'll never be using them. I like things that work dependably for VERY long periods of time :thumbsup:
Basically I like my bike to be the one in the group that runs like clockwork on the week long trip while the other guys have all the weird problems with their funky chinese or made for cars add-ons :laugh: I've seen it and I've learned :beerchug:

Well, how do you really feel! :)

Look I tried to keep it stock. I had a bike before this that I didn't even take the warning stickers off. I get this bike,have it for a couple weeks... then BAM! It's checking forum after forum and Craigslist and eBay for anything that want get me divorced!

Hi my name is Robert and I have a problem...
Posted via Mobile Device

Mine have been on my bike for 6 years, without a glitch!
I have installed over 200 kits, and maybe had 5 or 6 problems!

no problems with mine, about 20k since installing them. I start my bike the same way as you.

no problems with mine, about 20k since installing them. I start my bike the same way as you.

Same here. I have had my HID on my busa for over four years, no problems other than a bulb replacement, but even the bulb worked for three years after this low side crash into a pole at 60mph when a deer jumped out in front of me during a full lean turn. I wouldn't even think of riding at night without the HID.

IMG00276.jpg

Well, how do you really feel! :)

Look I tried to keep it stock. I had a bike before this that I didn't even take the warning stickers off. I get this bike,have it for a couple weeks... then BAM! It's checking forum after forum and Craigslist and eBay for anything that want get me divorced!

Hi my name is Robert and I have a problem...
Posted via Mobile Device
Good sense of humour :beerchug: I've got plenty of performance mods on my bike, far from stock :laugh: its just the lighting mods that I seem to hear so much bad about that I'd be very leery of putting on my bike :laugh: I know guys that have had to cut housings and silicone bulbs in, just to have the bulbs fall out and melt stuff. Car HID kits half-azz modded to fit bikes. Wires that come loose on road trips and kill the bike by the side of the road, led integrated set-ups that have to be hacked/glued in, and never seem to work right, or fail constantly :whistle: It may not be the norm, but between what I've seen and read its kinda discouraging. Plus with my stock lights properly adjusted up I can see amazingly well. The new bikes come with some great lights stock once you adjust them :thumbsup:

Sounds like you need to move your ballasts, if they are close to the cluster they can cause interference!

Yep... I agree with John. Almost 2 years since my install and no issues! Make sure ballast and high voltage wires are routed away from the dash as best as possible. I have done this on my 2 bikes and a few others.... No problems at all!

Last edited:
heh I've had my original ICEMAN HID kit since 2002 .... same bulb....no issues ... none, not one, nada :cheerleader:

now when he sold me the kit he had it all mapped out, I mounted the ballast to the ram tube and he sent me a wiring diagram to put a switch on the light. I always start the bike with it off and I turn it off prior to the bike. 8+yrs and still going strong :beerchug:

Good sense of humour :beerchug: I've got plenty of performance mods on my bike, far from stock :laugh: its just the lighting mods that I seem to hear so much bad about that I'd be very leery of putting on my bike :laugh: I know guys that have had to cut housings and silicone bulbs in, just to have the bulbs fall out and melt stuff. Car HID kits half-azz modded to fit bikes. Wires that come loose on road trips and kill the bike by the side of the road, led integrated set-ups that have to be hacked/glued in, and never seem to work right, or fail constantly :whistle: It may not be the norm, but between what I've seen and read its kinda discouraging. Plus with my stock lights properly adjusted up I can see amazingly well. The new bikes come with some great lights stock once you adjust them :thumbsup:

I think its like bad service at a restaurant. You heat way more complaints then compliments. I think what happened was when I took my nose off I did not route the wires back the way I originaly had it. The wires were laying right up against the cluster. Re-routed and no issues yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think its like bad service at a restaurant. You heat way more complaints then compliments. I think what happened was when I took my nose off I did not route the wires back the way I originaly had it. The wires were laying right up against the cluster. Re-routed and no issues yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like you got it!:thumbsup:

Back