another tire ?

doniton2

Registered
this is my Q2 after just under 3,500 miles. I was realy hoping for more. there was no burnouts or whellies just riding maybe 2 or 3 top end runs on my fav 1.5 mile straight but that is it. I was runing with 38 to 40 psi depending on the guys I was riding with. There is very few HWY miles on them as I like the back country roads less traffic. I went ahead and ordered another but am thinking of switching after the front is gone.

IM000375.jpg

Yep, that is what I am looking forward to. You did good to get 3500 out of it. I am on my first Q-2, but Macon tells me if I get 2500 out of it I am doing good.

After going back and looking at some old posts I must have been hallucinating I guess I did pretty good. I would be happy with getting 5000 out of a set but don't think I'm willing to sacrifice the twisties. I might try PP CT2 next as I'm not riding like I'm on a track but I do like to lean the bike into a corner or 2.

what do you guys think of the pirelli diablo rosso. i just mounted a pair a month ago. and i am wondering what kind of tread life to expect. i don't do wheelies or burnouts so can i expect longer than a poor 3500 miles? i got +7K out of my bridgestone battleaxes so i was just wonderin???

Looking at the way you ride the sides of the tire I don't think it's a good idea to get a harder longer lasting compound :whistle: :laugh:

ive got 5500 miles on my stock dunlops they are sticky enough for me....i want a long lasting tire 3500 miles is way to short of a life for a road bike imho...

shinko....6000 every time...yes...not as sticky...but for commuting!!

Tire life depends on the throttle hand. Rear brake use also has an effect on tire life.

Q2's are great tires. I went to a sticky BT016 front and a longer lasting dual compound BT023 rear. I have 2500 miles on the set and the tires still look fresh.

Tire choice is different for every rider. If I had the money I would be running with Q2's everytime, but for me I think I will stick with BTO16's. They have very good tread life and seem to handle the type of riding I do. And they are easier on my wallet.

Tire life depends on the throttle hand. Rear brake use also has an effect on tire life.

Q2's are great tires. I went to a sticky BT016 front and a longer lasting dual compound BT023 rear. I have 2500 miles on the set and the tires still look fresh.

thats what i was thinking. i must ride like a pussycat, as i have bunch of miles on my Q2's. and i do burnouts, and ride wheelies (very little wheelies:laugh:).

:poke:i guess i should get the stickiest tire i can find next time. :laugh:

Do what I did when I owned a Busa. Every paycheck take a few bucks and stash it in the sock drawer. I called it my tire/chain fund since the bikes eat tires and chains. Better yet, when you buy your next brand of tires buy 2 rears and one front, Most people average a 2:1-3:1 ratio when it comes to tires. Since you got around 3500miles from your previous rear tire, your more of a 2:1 ratio guy. (2:1= 2 rears worn for every front)

3,500 miles is good, The most I have got out of a rear is 2,500, And about 4,800 out of a front. A buddy of mine just rode to deals gap 2,760 miles on a brand new set on a ZX 10 and said they still look like new when he got back, But i havent seen them yet so who knows, But he really loves them also.

I love the way they stick I just wish the center would last a bit longer. I don't race corner to corner but I do like a little throttle through the apex and outand I very rarely use my back brake. I prefer to blip the throttle and down shift unless I need to stop real quick. I might try the BT016's next they have tripple compound in the rear tire. I couldn't find the BT023 how do the 016's work on the rear about the same as Q2's or you think I might get a little more out of them? Tufbusa do you also run them at the track? I ask because I was wanting to do a couple of track days next year with some of you guys it's been a long time since I've seen a track (WERA Nationals 1993)

I would be happy with getting 5000 out of a set but don't think I'm willing to sacrifice the twisties. I might try PP CT2 next as I'm not riding like I'm on a track but I do like to lean the bike into a corner or 2.

I'm doing good to get 5000 miles out of a set of Pilot Road 2s. Powers (2C2s are the same tire except for 3/4" of softer rubber on the edges) last me about 2500-3000 miles too. I've used BT-016s, but only at the track. Great grip, but doubtful they'll wear any longer than any other sport tire.
I read about people claiming they get "7000 miles" out of a set of sport tires, but I don't have a clue how they do it. Same for the "2 rears for 1 front" theory. My fronts toast just about as quick as the rears.

BTO16's are not a good tire, they are a GREAT tire that rivals the Q2. However, given a choice I would take the Q2 if the price was the same.

You'll love the BTO16 on your first track day. It has excellent grip and decent longivity slightly above the Q2.

I would not recommend the BTO23 rear for track days. Although they work great for twisty play and dragging your knee I'd stay with the Q2 or BTO16 if you are planning on the odd track day. I really like the 16 front 23 rear for my busa. Although your busa will overwhelm the 23 if you get greedy with the throttle i see no need for more tire on the streets. And the 16/23 setup should produce 5k miles or so which is double what I get from either the 16s or the Q2s.

The great thing about current tires,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you have lots of choices!

I have gone thru two dunlop Q2 on my gsxr 1000 this summer, I am very disappointed with how they held up. I cant imagine how my busa will eat them up. Anyone know how many miles people are getting out of the dunlop roadsmart?

3,500 miles is good, The most I have got out of a rear is 2,500, And about 4,800 out of a front. A buddy of mine just rode to deals gap 2,760 miles on a brand new set on a ZX 10 and said they still look like new when he got back, But i havent seen them yet so who knows, But he really loves them also.

Shoot I thought you killed Q2's! :poke:Only getting about 1500 miles out of them! Oh that's right you wear them out evenly from side to side!:whistle::laugh: I got a new set of Q2's on the 09 1k.... Ill see how they do!

The Q2s are the ultimate street tire offering the most traction. It is never going to give good tire life. It is kind of funny guys wanting more mileage out of a specialty tire that sits at the top of the tire mountain right now. It was made for one thing only, massive amounts of grip. Tire life is sacrificed to give you that superior grip.

If you want tire life, then you have to leave the king of the hill Q2 and go to a longer life tread compound that doesn't have quite as much grip. Good Luck and have fun!:thumbsup:

The Q2s are the ultimate street tire offering the most traction. It is never going to give good tire life. It is kind of funny guys wanting more mileage out of a specialty tire that sits at the top of the tire mountain right now. It was made for one thing only, massive amounts of grip. Tire life is sacrificed to give you that superior grip.

If you want tire life, then you have to leave the king of the hill Q2 and go to a longer life tread compound that doesn't have quite as much grip. Good Luck and have fun!:thumbsup:

It would be nice if the center was a little harder to give it more life. I love the sides but still have a coulpe hundred left and hate to see it go to waste.:laugh:

Back