Pickup trucks and motorcycle ramps ? How do you do that ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I'm just curious ? I see these folding ramps folks put on tailgate and tiedown to bumper or whatever . But then how do you actually get bike up and into bed ?
Do you ride it up ramp hoping all goes well and you won't need to put your feet down ?
Do you use two ramps , one for bike and one to walk up on next to it ?
Seems like an awefully heavy bike to push up the ramp and even if you do bike goes up and your on the ground so how do you still maintain stability and make sure it doesn't fall away and over on you ?
Is it mainly a two person op, one in bed one on ground working together or what ?

Again just curious ?

smaller bike but same idea:
- loadbike - getting it on the truck[/url]

Best gizzmo I've seen so far:
- Rampage Lift Works Great for any BIG Bike or motorcycle in and out of your pick up truck[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Some folks will take the risk... but I wouldn't risk getting the Busa up on a ramp. I'm sure it can be done, with the correct finesse, but it is much easier to spend a few hundred bucks on a small trailer to pull the Busa than to risk a $2000+ drop off a ramp trying to load the bike on a truck, IMO.

smaller bike but same idea:
- loadbike - getting it on the truck[/url]

Best gizzmo I've seen so far:
- Rampage Lift Works Great for any BIG Bike or motorcycle in and out of your pick up truck[/url]

The first video you posted is what would make me nervous as heck .
Second one , Rampage lift looks great and seems to work excellent but i bet it cost a bunch .
Thanks for the info as I saw a truck last night passing me by with two in the back and was like how'd he do that .

EEEK
:poke:
- Ben's Bike[/url]

That's exactly what I'm talking about .
Even if bike had not gone over what was he gonna do if it went up and in ?
Hop up on bumper and climb in bed while still holding onto it ?
No way . Seems like that was first time he tried that as ramp wasn't even secured with a strap or tiedown ?
Let a Busa fall from same spot and your bummin !

I like the way Ian from Redlines does it. At the spring bash, Semi and I were up in the truck to catch him and he came FLYIN up the ramp. I think he was worried about slippin on the ramp so extra speed was in order. The rain and the pond in the truck bed didnt help either, but it all worked out:thumbsup:

I do it all the time. Have TWO bi-folding ARCH ramps about 9ft long when open ( 14" wide each) that are open teeth dimond plate. One in center for the MULLET and another one out to the left edge of the tailgate for me. At idle jsut walk the bike right up under fast idle. One up in the bed...it goes right in the baxley chuck. Then I can refold the ramps on in the bed to the left of the bike and the other to the right of it.
Would be sweet to have a 2-part 10ft black widow ramp ( almost 40" wide together). Then I could ride it right up into the back.

I'm just curious ? I see these folding ramps folks put on tailgate and tiedown to bumper or whatever . But then how do you actually get bike up and into bed ?
Do you ride it up ramp hoping all goes well and you won't need to put your feet down ?
Do you use two ramps , one for bike and one to walk up on next to it ?
Seems like an awefully heavy bike to push up the ramp and even if you do bike goes up and your on the ground so how do you still maintain stability and make sure it doesn't fall away and over on you ?
Is it mainly a two person op, one in bed one on ground working together or what ?

Again just curious ?

I have been doing this for years. I am finally going to buy a trailer, but see the pictures below to see how I have done it. I use three ramps from Ramp Master. I just drive it up the ramps. I go slow and actually walk the bike up while straddling it because it can bottom out with my weight on it. I could have used ramps that were a bit longer. Make sure you tie the ramps to the bumper so that the cannot slide and fall during load/unload. I can do this by myself, in the dark....even in the rain. With three ramps, it is not very stressful doing it alone. The busa fender would actually contact the bed because it goes so low over the front wheel, so now I put my Baxley chock in the bed which makes it even easier.

DSC00735.JPG

DSC00741.JPG

DSC03246.JPG

DSC03247.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

I've got a 3 fold ramp bout as wide as the tailgate. Works out great for my brothers truck, my trucks to high and the bikes to low to get her up there.

But yea basically get a good start and ride on up the ramps, its the backing off i never liked

smaller bike but same idea: [URL="
- loadbike - getting it on the truck[/URL]

Buddy of mine that runs the bike shop up from my house can walk my Busa up into the bed of a pickup like it is nothing. No step required, he just steps up into the bed of the truck as the bike goes up the ramp. I can unload it by myself, but loading is still a 2 person job for me.
The dirt bike on the other hand.. I just ride it up the ramp into the truck.:laugh:

I do it all the time. Have TWO bi-folding ARCH ramps about 9ft long when open ( 14" wide each) that are open teeth dimond plate. One in center for the MULLET and another one out to the left edge of the tailgate for me. At idle jsut walk the bike right up under fast idle. One up in the bed...it goes right in the baxley chuck. Then I can refold the ramps on in the bed to the left of the bike and the other to the right of it.
Would be sweet to have a 2-part 10ft black widow ramp ( almost 40" wide together). Then I could ride it right up into the back.

I do the same thing. I wish I had a tri-fold ramp that I could ride the bike into the truck. I dont have space for a trailer anymore.

I do it all the time, using a little 5' double folding 1000lb ramp. Only use a canyon dancer, no wheel chock. Thousands of miles, never had a problem.

When I was young and pretty, I use to ride my dirt bike up on a 2 x 4 with a T screwed to the bottom.

But then I got old and ugly.

In jpsmith1 photo all straps are pulling down and forward, this is correct, when using a front wheel chock. Incorrect placement of straps is the most common error I see.

204007d1286739442-pickup-trucks-motorcycle-ramps-how-do-you-do-dsc00735.jpg

:thumbsup::beerchug:

cheers
ken

Well Blanca I have a BlackWidow ramp that I use. Peeps at the bash like it cause you can prolly have 18 people and a bike on it without worry. (we got close once)

But yeah the width of the tailgate and I can walk the bike up ride the bike up whatever don't have to worry about balance.. IF you ride it up just be sure to stop before you hit the front of the bed.

Back