Front area bump knock??

cerebusa

Registered
Ok this must be vague but here goes. When going over small divots or bumps the front end makes a bumping noise. If you hols frnt brakes and rock it up and down it makes noise. It was doing this to a lesser degree before I had seals put in the forks. I am wondering if its maybe a bearing in the tripple tree some where?? Any Ideas at all.. and if bearings how hard are they to get to and replace?? 2003 with 26k. Thanks, Mike

Take it to your local dealer and have them check it for you! Better safe than sorry.

Local dealers here I just do not trust, By the time they are done Ill have to rebuild engine. its in the forks Trip tree area

Obviously you need someone to figure out your problem.

You must choose where you want to take it.

Or.. You have the other option, diagnose, and fix it yourself.
Take the front fairing off so you can get a clear view of the forks. Hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth while watching the top/bottom clamp area. If you (which you probably will) see any movement at all in the clamp/stem area, it's bearing time.
Not REAL hard to replace (have done many on dirt bikes). Just have to get the front end supported so you can take the forks out. Then, you will have to remove the top clamp, and take the lower clamp/ stem out. Dunno about the busa set-up in particular, but most require that the bottom bearing be pressed off/on the steering stem. The top bearing will probably set in the frame tube freely. Then re-assemble everything. Just a general idea of what it takes to fix it.
Sounds pretty easy huh?:laugh:
Once you've done it, it is. Get yourself a 'Zuk shop manual to start with, everything will be explained (complete with pictures) there.

From your description it sounds like the yoke nut needs to be torqued to spec. I had the same clunking noise on my zx10r when holding the brake and bouncing the forks. Tightened the nut and the clunk was gone.

From your description it sounds like the yoke nut needs to be torqued to spec. I had the same clunking noise on my zx10r when holding the brake and bouncing the forks. Tightened the nut and the clunk was gone.

+1 on that had the same happen to my old gsxr1000

This may be totally out there but happened to me.

I had a knocking kinda noise in the front of my bike for a while too. I checked the triple trees, forks, the neck bearings, wheel bearings - all kinds of stuff. I couldnt find it. I was about to lose my mind and bring it to a dealer. Then, while washing the bike, I noticed my front left turn signal pod was loose. I hit it with my hand and it made a similar noise. I tightened it up and low and behold, my knock was gone. Has never came back.

Just sayin.

Back