Getting ready for a tune

killerrudy

Registered
I did a little research and found some previous threads pertaining to tuners in my area. (SoCal) I actually had some time today to call around earlier today and was kinda suprised with what one business told me. First place I called sounded very professional, Bob's Garage. They stated they have experience in Turbo bikes and can do ecu editing and flash my ecu. Sounds awesome. Cheap pricing also. $75 an hour. Next place I called was American Turbo Power. Looking at their site I would prefer to go there. Lots of different bikes, make their own turbo kits for all applications. But the twist was they they told me they would not tune a bike that they didn't install their parts on.

Sounds like that would really limit a lot of their business flow. I am not a business owner, but if I was. Seems like tuning bikes is a great way to make some profit. Easy work and can charge good money for it. Any owners have any input on the matter?

I did a little research and found some previous threads pertaining to tuners in my area. (SoCal) I actually had some time today to call around earlier today and was kinda suprised with what one business told me. First place I called sounded very professional, Bob's Garage. They stated they have experience in Turbo bikes and can do ecu editing and flash my ecu. Sounds awesome. Cheap pricing also. $75 an hour. Next place I called was American Turbo Power. Looking at their site I would prefer to go there. Lots of different bikes, make their own turbo kits for all applications. But the twist was they they told me they would not tune a bike that they didn't install their parts on.

Sounds like that would really limit a lot of their business flow. I am not a business owner, but if I was. Seems like tuning bikes is a great way to make some profit. Easy work and can charge good money for it. Any owners have any input on the matter?

Brian-

I'm not surprised that ATP will not tune anything they didn't install, there is a good reason for that, and I am speaking from experience! POWERHOUSE does not take the same position, we will tune customer installs, or installs done by other shops, however - at least 75% of the time, it does not turn out to be a straight dyno tuning session. It turns out to be a diagnostic session to find out why the bike is not doing what it should. Thats when we find spark plugs not gapped right, secondary controllers not connected correctly, internal wastegates not opening fully (spiking boost), or other BS issues that any competent installer would have corrected prior to even getting on the dyno.

And of course, the typical customer doesn't want to know or hear why you can't tune his bike . . . or pay for any extra work that may be involved because some inexperienced or ignorant (but well meaning) installer messed up the install. :banghead:

If i was in the Bussiness of tuning or working on any bike i would have a Question Form Or Forms, On what was done to the Bike. The next forms would be What do you Expect. I would have several forms, Just like i have in Construction. When you sign my forms then i will go to work. :beerchug:

Back