tank pad removal help

dsbunton646

Registered
As some of you may have read in another thread, I just purchased a 2008 cbr600rr for my wife. I am replacing some items on it and making sure it is all "good to go" before I turn her loose with it. The tank pad that is currently on it is quite worn and is coming loose in a few spots. My question is, what is best to remove all the mass of sticky stuff underneath? Reason I ask is it is flat black paint scheme and I am kind of afraid to use alcohol, acetone or something harsh like that. Wasn't sure if that flat paint scheme would be damaged by something that harsh. Surely somebody has some experience with a product that will make my life easier.

1. blow dryer to soften the residue
2. gently ball up reside using fingertips
3. moisten microfiber towel with GOO GONE, wipe off/clean up

If it is clear coated I used kerosene and it literally wipe off after sitting for a minute. But I have heard that it may cause harm if left too long.

I dont know if any of the commom products would hurt the flat paint, i know it can be weird. If there is a Harley dealer near you ask them, my friends Vrod is flat black and they had a special cleaner for it, maybe it'll help with the goo.

Hair dryer until the adhesive is soft, and WD40 to get rid of the residuals. Always worked for me.

Here is the issue, if it is from the factory then the clear coat is on there and it is just flat not glossy. If that is so, then there are no issues with the above. The best to use is 3M adhesive remover, it was designed to strip wax and adhesives off of cars without other chemicals that can hurt a paints surface. The other side of that coin is, if this was done by someone aftermarket, and there is either no clear in the paint or the clear is mixed before it is shot, then the chemicals in a lot of those products will weaken the paint itself and you will be left with either marks from the "soft" cloth you are using, or you will just strip the paint. If the latter is the case, then I really recommend the 3M approach and do it slow, do not let it pool, and don't let it stay wet to long.

I hope this helps:beerchug:

Back