chain loose & tight at the same time.

red1100cc

Registered
ok, this ain't my 1st rodeo, but it's the 1st time i ever noticed this.
most of my playing with a chain is on a hardtail. when its loose, it's loose top and bottom. well, i noticed that the chain on the Hayabusa is loose below the swing arm and snug above it. ??? i know it needs tightened. no problem. but what im trying to figure out is WHY is it tight on the top, and loose on the bottom? the geometry seems to make me believe that no matter how the suspension moved up or down the chain would still be the same distance along the swing arm, sprocket to sprocket.?.
any ideas?

I'd say it's just the weight of the chain pulling down/sagging at the bottom. The chain guide and swingarm stop if from sagging at the top.

Check it with the bike down on the ground, the suspension geometry is more favorable to a more even tension.

Are you sure?

troll-bank-all[1].jpg

Is the bike on the ground? If so, is it in gear? Take it out of gear so the front sprocket can freewheel,should solve problem.

Ok,ok,,maybe I mis-understood what he was talking about,,but if your bike is in gear and you roll back slightly chain will become looser on bottom than top,,it will I tell you!! It will !! :rofl:

Ok,ok,,maybe I mis-understood what he was talking about,,but if your bike is in gear and you roll back slightly chain will become looser on bottom than top,,it will I tell you!! It will !! :rofl:

:thumbsup:you got it. i may be the rocket turtle, but im no rocket scientist. i tightened it up last night and realized my error :banghead: the engine was keeping tension on the top of the chain. when i rolled it around, it loosened up. mystery solved. :laugh:

well i feel silly. :whistle:

thanks for putting up with a silly question :thumbsup:

Hahaha,,thank-you for posting,,now I don't feel like a total idiot for posting the response that I did,,it's just that I have 'first hand' knowledge of this phenomenon,haha :whistle:

Back