Tucking in noise

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Is it just me, or does the noise volume double in that little space behind the screen? Trying to figure out why?

Is it just me, or does the noise volume double in that little space behind the screen? Trying to figure out why?

Yes, or at least it seems to sound that way. You have your head directly behind the sheild redirecting the wind around it and your head. Kinda the same thing as opening the window on your car, you hear the wind rushing around the winshield and body.
There is a scientific reason, I'll wait and let an engineer come along and explain it correctly.

you're not tucking your head down low enough. get the bottom of your helmet below the top of the windshield into the low pressure area where there is no air moving past it.
basically try to see the road through your windshield.. nice and quiet there :)

^ What he said. Depending on your body position, it gets kinda difficult to see out of the very top visible part of the helmet opening. When it's raining real hard that is what I do (this is the reason to get a CLEAR shield:laugh:) or when I'm goin real fast. :whistle: It does get quiet, the reduction of the air moving around the helmet = no wind noise. Of course this is much easier with a "double bubble" type screen as well. :thumbsup:

if it was going supersonic....you wouldnt hear anything...lol

It does for me also, unless I'm sucking in, and chin on the tank, looking through the windshield. Kinda hard to do with the stock windshield. That's why I plan on getting a double bubble.

you're not tucking your head down low enough. get the bottom of your helmet below the top of the windshield into the low pressure area where there is no air moving past it.
basically try to see the road through your windshield.. nice and quiet there :)

I'm comfy tucking in all the way behind the stock screen, when my helmet touches the tank the noise turns up even more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is it wind noise your hearing ? Remember when your tucked your that much closer to the engine and will hear it more so than when sitting upright.

I have a double bubble zg, when in full tuck it gets fairly quiet considering. If it's way loud your head is sticking up in the windstream and your getting some bad drag on your helmet. I don't know about full tuck with a stock screen since I almost immediately replaced it (Ugly! IMHO). Try not only just touching your helmet on the tank, but your neck/bottom of chin should be touching the tank too. That my friend is full tuck and it's not a comfortable position to stay in all the time :beerchug:

Back