1 more time

kennym4

Registered
Today I went to a BIG parking lot, and was working on emergency braking (which I'm not sure is even possible without that OH $4!t factor ?), and when using the rear brake I can get stopped faster, but I'm afraid that when I do add that "oh boy" factor it's not worth locking the rear wheel up. How many of you guys don't use the rear brake ?

I actually had a lot of fun doing this, haven't done it in years, and was RUUUUSTY.

I always use the rear and have locked up a few times when stopping suddenly. Locking the front will put ya down fast, but the rear will only make ya wiggle a bit.

we actually go to the training area here on base to purposly lock the brakes and get the busas and 14 sideways while in the saddle... we challenge each ohter on the boxes and practicing this for a few years now, I hardly ever get teh pucker factor now.. but planning on doing the same on the rainy season to see penrpendicular to the brake range line we can get will bring that feeling back..
O andI use my rear brake more than my front during city comute

I almost always use the rear brake, unless I'm in the twisty's. I don't lock the rear wheel either, but I did have it happen to me (well it didn't "happen", I caused it) one time when it was cold out, I wasn't paying attention for a second, looked up, and traffic had stopped.

When I took my endorsement test the guy told me I got points taken away because I DIDN't lock the rear wheel, I thought that was a no-no ?

It's just been a while since I practiced slow maneuvers, and stopping fast from kinda high speed. I know for a fact I will be going to a track day next summer, I still have so much to learn.

i rarely ever use my rear brake unless it is just to hold the bike from rolling at a stop sign or light...the front brakes will grip enough to pick the rear tire up so i don't see how the rear brake is going to stop me any faster if it has no weight or traction...if i need to stop faster, i just apply more pressure to the brake lever...one thing that might make a difference here is i have Pazzo levers, steel braided brake lines, and EBC HH pads

18,000 miles and my rear pads are less than half worn. I never use my rear brake when stopping, panic or otherwise. Makes a good parking brake at stoplights, and very usefull for slow speed maneuvering in parking lots and such. IMO and findings, the harder you brake, the less use the rear brake is, and the more trouble it can get you into.
But, one place I find the rear brake to be a must though, is going across the yard on wet grass and such. Never touch the front there.

Well i would say you need to add the 'oh my' factor to realize you should probably stay off the rear brake !
I use it all the time but my one recent event I used it a bit too hard and locked it up . This caused me to lose ability to continue to try to steer around truck in front of me and I smacked the back of it. Had I not used rear brake I may have been able to steer around it but likewise if I had not used the rear brake I may have hit it alot harder because up until the last second or so it did slow me down more so than not .
Practice practice practice will maybe make you able to use it without locking it up ?

I have pretty much gotten over my dependence on the rear brake by doing trackdays. Rear brakes are a big no-no on the racetrack. You only have to look at the physics to understand why. When braking, almost all the weight is on the front tire, it takes VERY LITTLE rear brake to kick the rear loose and then you are in a bad spot.

Watch the Pro's - if using the rear slowed you down faster, they'd all be using it in races, but they aren't. I submit that you are not using all the front brake that you have. Until the rear tire comes off the ground in a stoppie, you aren't using it all yet....

Caveat: This observation is only for perfect conditions (clean good dry surface); when it gets wet, rocks, grass and on street, that requires some use of the rear brake.

Last edited:
I just use my ABS system. Kenny, I did the same thing on not noticing traffic was stopping and when I realized it my pucker factor went to about an 8 and I grabbed the brakes. I still didn't engage the computer though. I have done parking lot panic stops on the computer and it really stops the bike quick. My 300lb body wants to keep going!!!

I have pretty much gotten over my dependence on the rear brake by doing trackdays. Rear brakes are a big no-no on the racetrack. You only have to look at the physics to understand why. When braking, almost all the weight is on the front tire, it takes VERY LITTLE rear brake to kick the rear loose and then you are in a bad spot.

Watch the Pro's - if using the rear slowed you down faster, they'd all be using it in races, but they aren't. I submit that you are not using all the front brake that you have. Until the rear tire comes off the ground in a stoppie, you aren't using it all yet....

Caveat: This observation is only for perfect conditions (clean good dry surface); when it gets wet, rocks, grass and on street, that requires some use of the rear brake.

Keith what broke me of the back break was the track too, to have proper poby position (which I dont) you have to have the tips of your feet on the pegs, you can't use the back brake and have your feet where they need to be at the same time... There are probably some out there than can transfer back and forth fast enough but I can't... So I had to choose, rear brake or keep my feet where they need to be.... I chose to use the front brake and keep my feet where they will help me the most...

I never use my rear brake, On the the track or street it is front brake only.

Back