did the dumbest thing

jch364

Registered
I have to confess i did the dumbest thing the other day. After all the work i had done on my bike, i had it back for only a cpl of days when i decided to change the oil from the castrol acto back to my beloved amsoil. well for reasons i cannot imagine nor contemplate i did the unthinkable. Yes thats right I tightened the bolt instead of loosining it. The ending result was not only a stripped drain plug hole but also a cracked oil pan. Of course not to miss out on adding insult to injury i didnt discover the crack until i spent the money on the re-threading tool and tried it first. Alas it is now back at the shop getting the pan welded. so on top of everything else i lost 4 qts of amsoil too...lol... Some days you just shoulda stayed in bed...:banghead:

Boy is it easy to screw that oil pan up. wow.

I see you have an 06' Your in luck, PM me your address. I have an oilpan/pickup for you.

Or call me. 540-223-3785 Paul

Last edited:
Thanks gmbusa but its been taken care of. its been welded and i should get it back tomorrow...i just feel really stupid. kinda dee,dee deeeee

Well, since we are self disclosing our stupidity tonight...I spent half a year painting my bike...yesterday as I was putting the plastics back on around the instrument guage...i don't know WTF I was thinking...I had a long shafted allen key in one hand as I put the panel in I gouged a nice little gouge into the panels that sit up alongside the tank...my beautiful black panel now has a squiggly white snakkyy wound. I almost blew my head gasket as I screamed at myself....it only takes one second of non-diligence to mess something up....feel your pain

Thanks gmbusa but its been taken care of. its been welded and i should get it back tomorrow...i just feel really stupid. kinda dee,dee deeeee

Well, if you need a pan let me know.

You really should have stayed in bed that day, Ive had many days like that myself. Least ya got her fixed up and im SURE you wont make that mistake again.

After I changed my oil the first time the old oil filter gasket inadvertently stuck to the block. I poured in $70 in oil checked for leaks, none. Rode down the street and lost all my oil. Thats the first day also I realized how heavy the bike was to push four blocks.

Jeff sorry to here about your bad day.... at least you are fixing it and closer to riding the busa after all the work you put into it!

Lesson Learned: "Lefty Losey/Righty Tighty" :laugh:

but cheer up..not "The Dumbest Thing" i've ever witnessed/heard-of..there are (2) worse that i know of...

1. Had an internet O/A rally/ride aqquaintance i knew of that sacrafice/sold his Bike as "a mechanics special" after what he thought was himself botching up a DIY jet kit installation he couldn't seem to remedy..and after the new owner removed the rag that got sucked into the airbox?...the bike ran great! :laugh:

2. FZ1 Owner...from the FZ1OA...met and rode with him as well at one time up in the mountains..pulled his beloved Yami FZ1 out of the basement after months of winter storage...wasnt a mechanically minded chap..more of a techno geek...didnt like the light rust that developed on his rotors..so he gave the bike a good pre-ride cleaning...using WD40 to..well?..remove the rust from his rotors! :laugh:

do i really need to tell anybody here how that ended? :rofl:

so cheer up..ignorance might be bliss but it sure can hurt at times! :laugh:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

I have to confess i did the dumbest thing the other day. After all the work i had done on my bike, i had it back for only a cpl of days when i decided to change the oil from the castrol acto back to my beloved amsoil. well for reasons i cannot imagine nor contemplate i did the unthinkable. Yes thats right I tightened the bolt instead of loosining it. The ending result was not only a stripped drain plug hole but also a cracked oil pan. Of course not to miss out on adding insult to injury i didnt discover the crack until i spent the money on the re-threading tool and tried it first. Alas it is now back at the shop getting the pan welded. so on top of everything else i lost 4 qts of amsoil too...lol... Some days you just shoulda stayed in bed...:banghead:

Boy is it easy to screw that oil pan up. wow.
Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey :thumbsup: :laugh:

On a side note from a welder thats done countless aluminum oil and tranny pans, give it a real close look and make sure it didnt heat crack when they welded it. That aluminum soaks up the oil and alot of times the cracks in the weld are so hairline they dont get noticed...

I remember spending hours cleaning alison tranny pans the best i could and still chasing cracks around in the pan and welds as that oil started coming outta the pores:poke:

When I first started working at a chevy/cadillac dealer I was putting a northstar back together after a head gasket job. Don't ask me how I did it. To this day I can't figure out how I managed to pull it off. But I left every single rag in the 8 intake ports of the heads when I put the manifold back on.... Had to pull the engine BACK out of the car, remove all the rags, make sure no valves got bent (I don't know how in the world none of them did cause that's a very close tolerance engine and some of them had a couple valves stuck open). You wanna talk about feeling like a moron.... The worst part about it is when I was walking past the engine to go get the intake I specifically remember looking at the ports and thinking "gotta pull those out before the intake goes on." Oops.... I still have some of the burned pieces of basically extremely heavy duty paper towels sitting in my roll cart. I'll never forget that screw up...:laugh:

i stripped mine a few months ago due to complete laziness. my torque wrench was hanging on the wall and i was too lazy to get up. it's not hard to swap out but it is tedious. lesson learned that's for sure.

Back