Power commander 3 question

Speed King

Banned
When I bought my aftermarket exhuast system I had the dealer install a PC3 also and they mapped it and everything.

Do you ever need to mess with the PC3 once its already mapped?

If you ever disconnect the battery for instance, does the PC3 reset to where you have to remap it?

Do you have to update the maps frequently?

was bike strapped onto a dyno, tuned and then tune loaded onto PC? if yes, leave it alone! back to a dyno to remap if/when performance mods are added to the bike in the future. otherwise, no need to update.

If it's a gen II you didn't need a PC3 IMO. Also, if they didn't map it on the dyno it's not properly tuned unless they were extremely lucky like maybe winning the lottery!

JMO! :dunno:

If it's a gen II you didn't need a PC3 IMO. Also, if they didn't map it on the dyno it's not properly tuned unless they were extremely lucky like maybe winning the lottery!

JMO! :dunno:

Yes I have a gen II ... and NO they did NOT map it on the dyno.

I watched them map it on a portable laptop.

Yes I have a gen II ... and NO they did NOT map it on the dyno. I watched them map it on a portable laptop.

Did they use "sniffers" on the tailpipes then loaded a map based on the readings?

If not, sounds like they loaded a "canned" map, hope they did not charge you too much for it (since you can download maps from DYNOJET for free).

Did they use "sniffers" on the tailpipes then loaded a map based on the readings?

If not, sounds like they loaded a "canned" map, hope they did not charge you too much for it (since you can download maps from DYNOJET for free).

Ya, but ya need a laptop which I don't have.

I took my PC 3 off the bike (that's what the 9 volt battery adapter is for), and down loaded one off my computer when I first got it. I got it tuned later. My dealer wanted $300.00 to do a "laptop tune".

Yes I have a gen II ... and NO they did NOT map it on the dyno.

I watched them map it on a portable laptop.

Your bike was not custom mapped. You have what I call a "generic" map, which is someone else's map that was done on another bike in another state, probably Nevada. Its like wearing someone else's shoes - they may fit, but they're not quite right, and they smell!:lol:

Arbitrarily throwing a questionable map in is indeed a crap shoot. Your bike will run much better and make more rear wheel horse if you get a custom map. You will feel and see a night and day difference.

But, to answer your questions - no, you don't need to mess with a powercommander once it is set. And no, it will not lose its map if you disconnect the battery, or disconnect the PC from the bike. It will retain whatever map is in it until it is re-mapped.

Get a custom map done at a reputable dyno tuner when you can afford it. You will not regret it . . .:beerchug:

Get your ecu flashed and sell your pc3 to someone else. Just my .02...

i fitted a pair of carbon /titanium face cans that my m8 bought for his ducati, just made a pair of link pipes and it runs great , fueling is still faultless throughout the rev range but i havent fitted a pc3 or anything, it still wheelies and hits the limiter in top gear , what more could expect to gain ?
how much does the ecu compensate for changes ? surely it it automatically remaps itself ?:dunno:

Nope, it won't readjust at a wot condition. The closed loop is only during cruise and part throttle. Maybr your buddy got the perfect set of pipes for your bike. Who knows?

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

Nope, it won't readjust at a wot condition. The closed loop is only during cruise and part throttle. Maybr your buddy got the perfect set of pipes for your bike. Who knows?

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

What? Where did you come up with that? :dunno:

The OP needed a pc3 like I need one more EX-WIFE!

Your bike was not custom mapped. You have what I call a "generic" map, which is someone else's map that was done on another bike in another state, probably Nevada. Its like wearing someone else's shoes - they may fit, but they're not quite right, and they smell!:lol:

Arbitrarily throwing a questionable map in is indeed a crap shoot. Your bike will run much better and make more rear wheel horse if you get a custom map. You will feel and see a night and day difference.

But, to answer your questions - no, you don't need to mess with a powercommander once it is set. And no, it will not lose its map if you disconnect the battery, or disconnect the PC from the bike. It will retain whatever map is in it until it is re-mapped.

Get a custom map done at a reputable dyno tuner when you can afford it. You will not regret it . . .:beerchug:

Thank you, I will get a custom map next summer.

Back