Need input on my motor from pics

Dehning

Registered
Would all you motor guys take a look at this set of macro pics of the front left of my motor, just behind the fan. There is a small oil leak there and the more I look at the markings on the metal, the more I wonder if somebody did some repair work on the motor before I got it. Is that rough texture normal on the motor ?

Link

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

As Cookie pointed out, looks like cracks were patched up. How many owner(s) before you? Any history of past engine damage?

Can you elaborate ? The bike runs fine except for the oil leak BTW.

Sure. When you have a crack in aluminum you weld it to try and save it. When alloy heats it expands. If the welds were done half-azzed and separate, the medium that is being held back does whatever it can to permeate and escape. Apparently, this is what you are experiencing.

You have one of two choices -

1) Tear it apart (major logistical nightmare) and attempt to repair again

ORrrrrrr,,,,

2) Buy a replacement head from a reputable source and trach can the one you are looking at.

And as all motorheads will tell you,,, This would be a great time to replace your cams to maybe and intake cam on the exhaust side and port~N~polish while you are in there!

This is a perfect example of buyer beware.

Last edited:
definately f-ed up! like others stated half-azz hack job. the only way to properly fix that is to throw it as far as you can. then put a new one on and get riding again.

Def someone fixed it and then got rid of the bike.. Sorry for your luck.. Best to replace the head with a good used one and check the rest of the bike closely, looks like the mount got ripped out of the head..

As Cookie pointed out, looks like cracks were patched up. How many owner(s) before you? Any history of past engine damage?

2 previous owners that I know of, the one before me did less than 1000 miles on it because he had started making it into a show bike but ran out of time. The one before him was supposedly was some sort of engineering type (whatever that means)

There was no history of engine damage expressed to me when I bought the bike and it runs absolutely great with the exception of this small oil leak.

Assuming I supply the head, does anybody know what pulling the motor and having the head replaced might cost me ? ???

2 previous owners that I know of, the one before me did less than 1000 miles on it because he had started making it into a show bike but ran out of time. The one before him was supposedly was some sort of engineering type (whatever that means)

There was no history of engine damage expressed to me when I bought the bike and it runs absolutely great with the exception of this small oil leak.

Assuming I supply the head, does anybody know what pulling the motor and having the head replaced might cost me ? ???

About ten sets of Shinkos!

That can be welded if you get someone good enough you can just remove the top cove and gasket and weld it in place now I know alot of people here will diagree but yes it can be done I am a certified tig welder in medicl and know it can be done fast and hold just fine personally I like the replace and port polish two intake cams sounds like more power and that is me:thumbsup: if you just dont have the money talk to a certified tig welder and show him it

This is me and my fantastic Shinko's ignoring you Tufbusa

Thanks for the input guys, problem is that at this point I can't even tell where the leak is coming from, there are no visible cracks anywhere and you'd think they would be obvious if oil were leaking from them :dunno:

as far as price i just did a head gasket a few weeks ago. the head gasket is about 65-80 bucks depending what you get and new valve cover gasket bout 25 i think. then you just need oil, filter and antifreeze and you are good to go. not very costly just time consuming pulling motor and swapping head and reinstalling.

Back