1125R owners chime in please

1ofakind

Registered
Hi all, so I'm in the market for a new bike. I really want a Gen2 busa, but it's tough financially. So I'm considering what, for me, seems like the next best thing: the 1125R. (Don't want a Gen1 Busa)

As many of you probably know, the Buells are pretty cheap. They had like a gazillion recalls that most should have had done by now. That was their main problem with reliability.

So please, if you have both, share your thoughts as to how they compare: (comfort, handling, reliabilty experience past the recalls, wind protection)

Busa owners can chime in as well, particularly if you're a shorter rider like myself. I really don't want to lower a busa if I get one, just to keep its handling the way it is. If you've had success lowering and/or reshaping the seat, I'd like to hear from you.

Things to consider:
I like twisties although I don't drag knees (yet).
I go two up often with my gf.
I commute long distances on the highway.
I would like to use my bike as a sport tourer for longer trips (have done 1000 mile roundtrips).
I'm 5'7", 145 lbs.

I would probably put "heli-bars" or something of the like on whichever bike I get.

I sat on a buell xb12, and the seat was so wide that I had to almost tip toe to touch the ground.
I sat on a ZX-14 and although I couldn't flat foot, it felt like and easy to ride slowly. Don't know why, I was completely surprised.

They have about the same power-weight ratio ( i think a fraction better on the Buell), they supposedly handle a lot better and have better brakes and require less maintenance. No chain to clean or adjust, silly long maintenance intervals too. Seat height is 30", not sure how wide it is. They don't however, say hayabusa on the side, look like a hayabusa, go 200mph, have the high quality feel and precision of assembly, have the aftermarket and manufacturer backing that the hayabusa has. I think the busa has slightly better fuel economy from what I've read as well.

I've been reading a lot about both bikes, and I'm having a tough time deciding. I know some of you have both, but I can only pick one lol.
I just want to hear from you that know both how they compare. No one compares these bikes online (they're not really in the same category, just happen to fit what I want) and I haven't found many 1125R owners on buell forums with busas to lol.

Thank you for your thoughts!

welcome. just reread your post, no Gen I. Otherwise, you can easily find lost of good used ones for "cheap"

Last edited:
If you like highway riding, the Busa is tops there, among other things.

My Busa is my 5th bike and I couldn't be happier.

welcome. just reread your post, no Gen I. Otherwise, you can easily find lost of good used ones for "cheap"

Yeap, thank you though. I personally like the Gen2 significantly better, mainly because of the brakes and suspension differences. I really like the instrument panel redesign as well.
Also, for the price of a Gen1, I can find a low mileage Buell with warranty left. My bike is an integral part of my transportation, so this works for my peace of mind.

If you want the GEN2 Busa, then wait for it! It'll make it that much more sweet when you get what you want!
IMHO the 1125R Buell is not a sport touring bike at all! It was built as a flat out race bike!

1125r is not a touring bike at all. As much as I loved my XB12R, the busa takes the cake when it comes to long distances. If you are only riding 30-60 minutes, the buell would be fine. Then it also doubles as an amazing city bike as well. The other thing, the sound of the 1125R not buell worthy at all. I'm happy buell came out with something to compete in the races, but I wish they could still produced that beloved sound that I miss oh so much...

The busa is amazing to cruise on. Being 6'1", my feet are flat on the ground when i'm at a stop. It will also be a better if you enjoy riding 2 up on it. The exhaust on the busa, unless modified, doesn't resonate into your helmet, at least for me, at cruising speeds. Unlike the buell, where after 30 or so minutes, your ear just kinda needs a break.

To me they are both great bikes. Buell doesn't need as much attention as the busa, but the busa is undoubtedly far more comfortable for two people to ride on. They both have trade offs, so it really just depends on what you think you would be more happy with.

For me, I plan on owning another XB12R someday. I got the busa for the cruising as it is more comfortable for me and the passenger. The XB though was just a lot more fun when I was in town and wanted to go for a little spin. Plus, I felt safer on the buell in town because it stops quicker and it handled better. Plus, the XB12R has something for the ladies that the busa just doesn't generate...:whistle:

1125r is not a touring bike at all. As much as I loved my XB12R, the busa takes the cake when it comes to long distances. If you are only riding 30-60 minutes, the buell would be fine. Then it also doubles as an amazing city bike as well. The other thing, the sound of the 1125R not buell worthy at all. I'm happy buell came out with something to compete in the races, but I wish they could still produced that beloved sound that I miss oh so much...

The busa is amazing to cruise on. Being 6'1", my feet are flat on the ground when i'm at a stop. It will also be a better if you enjoy riding 2 up on it. The exhaust on the busa, unless modified, doesn't resonate into your helmet, at least for me, at cruising speeds. Unlike the buell, where after 30 or so minutes, your ear just kinda needs a break.

To me they are both great bikes. Buell doesn't need as much attention as the busa, but the busa is undoubtedly far more comfortable for two people to ride on. They both have trade offs, so it really just depends on what you think you would be more happy with.

For me, I plan on owning another XB12R someday. I got the busa for the cruising as it is more comfortable for me and the passenger. The XB though was just a lot more fun when I was in town and wanted to go for a little spin. Plus, I felt safer on the buell in town because it stops quicker and it handled better. Plus, the XB12R has something for the ladies that the busa just doesn't generate...:whistle:

Thanks Phrogg! Very good point you got there:thumbsup:
One of your last points is really my main concern with a busa. I've never maneuvered such a big bike in the city, with traffic, etc. I don't know how it would be. I'm afraid I may be more worried and "on my toes" (pun intended) than enjoying the ride around town. I live in Santa Fe, NM and there are plenty of stop lights and cars here. Gotta leave civilization to find decent suburban roads.
How is the busa around town?
I'm considering waiting for a busa, and sort of am until I'm sure of which one I want. I'd really like to be able to ride with my gf in separate bikes too. I think that would be really cool :)

find a 2009 1125R not the 2008. I am really considering dumping my Busa for an 1125R. I want one so bad. Still being unemployeed I can not just buy another bike so one has to go to be able to get the 1125R.

But then again most that know me seem to think I am off my rocker any ways.:laugh:

Thats the other thing I forgot to mention. If you do go with the 1125r make sure you get the 09. The 08s had problems with the fuel injectors being at the wrong angle. On the 09s the adjusted the angle and apparently runs a whole lot better now.

The busa isn't bad in town. You just need to make sure you practice good riding habits and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
REALLY???? comparing a busa to a buell? is this for real? i have waited ten years to finally get my busa and have had quited a few bikes in the mean time. the only and i mean only twin that i know that could even come close to comparing to a busa would be the tl1000r, the baby busa. and even that isnt a very close comparison. if you want a great two up bike worth putting some miles on with more balls than most could ever want get the busa. if not get the buell. there is a reason they are so cheap. just my .02

find a 2009 1125R not the 2008. I am really considering dumping my Busa for an 1125R. I want one so bad. Still being unemployeed I can not just buy another bike so one has to go to be able to get the 1125R.

But then again most that know me seem to think I am off my rocker any ways.:laugh:
Lol thanks. Yea I do like the 09s better as well for the different color schemes. Care to share more why your considering the trade?

Thats the other thing I forgot to mention. If you do go with the 1125r make sure you get the 09. The 08s had problems with the fuel injectors being at the wrong angle. On the 09s the adjusted the angle and apparently runs a whole lot better now.

The busa isn't bad in town. You just need to make sure you practice good riding habits and you'll be fine.
Thanks Phrogg, I was under the impression that the injectors could be swapped, think I read that somewhere not sure. My riding habits are somewhat spoiled by my easy to ride, lightweight and torquey 650 ninja. Think I'd def need to change these if I got a busa?

REALLY???? comparing a busa to a buell? is this for real? i have waited ten years to finally get my busa and have had quited a few bikes in the mean time. the only and i mean only twin that i know that could even come close to comparing to a busa would be the tl1000r, the baby busa. and even that isnt a very close comparison. if you want a great two up bike worth putting some miles on with more balls than most could ever want get the busa. if not get the buell. there is a reason they are so cheap. just my .02
I agree the busa in an incredible machine, which is why it's on my list. I want something stupid fast, yet comfortable from the factory. I don't want to spend silly money. These two came to mind. It's not about which is better, but about comparing the trade offs between the two. People who have both have the best idea of what these are, and can help me make a decision to buy what I would be happiest with. Also, the trade-offs are also relative, which is why I explained a few things about myself. For a real tall or big buy, the size of the hayabusa may not be anything special, and in some cases may even be necessary to feel comfortable. That is not my case, and thus why I have to consider it. Same thing with city riding, some may never deal with that. I have to.
I think the 1125R are cheap for reasons beyond their mechanical abilities. They are fine machines that were under the worst possible candidate as owner. Marketing, sales point, service, it all sucked.
But that's just my opinion. I don't have either and only today, I saw an 1125CR on the road, from a distance. I have seen busas around town, but never sat or inspected either up close.

Last edited:
Then go find a dealer ship where you can sit on the busa. 1125r might be a little more difficult to find. lol

A friend of mine has the 1125cr and loves it. He is wicked fast in the twisties. He rides his to the office every day. Its a nice bike. :) Personally I like his wifes Lightening better. :)

I have a gen I Busa and a xb12s... If you do infact like going 2up with your gf then the gen I Busa is the way to go... It's a great bike for everything you listed above... Love the xb12s, but it's not really practical or meant for riding 2up...

Best of luck to you!

:beerchug:

I dont know too much about the Buell's, they never tickled my fancy. I think the Busa has everything that youre looking for, I have an 08 myself, but you are right, it is a big bike. It hasnt been an issue for me, 6'2'' 235lbs, but i have to say i prefer a smaller lighter bike. I am looking into the new 2010 Z1000. Ive heard nothing but good things and it may be a good choice in your situation.

Personally I like his wifes Lightening better. :)

ahem...did somebody say Lightning? :whistle:

8266d1109560950-secret-go-fast-mod-can-you-guess-angle-front.jpg

sorry to thread-jack a bit, 1ofakind. Hold off and wait for a Gen II, it will be worth the wait. it can/will be whatever you want it to be: a bike for the city, track, tour, etc. If you get another bike, you will always be lusting after one everytime you see one pass you by.

Last edited:
When I was looking for my first bike I sat on a few Buell's. By that point I had already sat in the saddle of a couple of Busa's as well. What I came away with was the fact that I just felt more comfy on the Busas.
I like Buells, I think they are great bikes, but a combo of the Busa being more comfortable and the 1125 being ugly as sin made me choose the Busa. Now I say the 1125 was ugly, but it's still a good bike. The Busa is prettier and attracts more attention in my opinion, which helps to keep drivers aware of your presence...(That fact has saved me a few times:whistle:)
As far as difficulty of riding in the city, your going to have cornering issues moving from a 650 to either one of these bikes. The only thing that will help you there is practice. And your height will provide a lower center of gravity to balance the Busa and that'll probably help you out a lot.
BTW I'm 5'10"ish 170lbs and my first bike was an 05 Busa. My advise in do some squat lift to pump up your legs, that will make all your maneuvering worries go away:laugh:

Back