Rust in tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
I have ALOT of rust in my tank. I'll post pics later on today but what are some preventive measures I can do outside of swapping out the tank? (0 experience with major engine components) I'm in the hunt for one asap. I'd like to get one or two more rides before 'old man' gets here.

Muriatic acid or malted vinegar works best along with a bunch of BBs sealed in the tank. Shake that bad boy around for 5 minutes straight...take a 15 minute break. Repeat. Clean it out and your tank should have significantly less rust in it.

If you really want to fix it permanently, you're going to need to have the tank walls coated. The above method, while certainly viable, will only work to remove the rust that exists currently, it will not inhibit future rust formation. Keeping the tank full will also help...but that can be a chore.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-sealer-kits-for-cars.html

Last edited:
Muriatic acid or malted vinegar works best along with a bunch of BBs sealed in the tank. Shake that bad boy around for 5 minutes straight...take a 15 minute break. Repeat. Clean it out and your tank should have significantly less rust in it.

Thanks for the remedy but I'm guessing there'd still be some left over and would only oxidize more of my tank as time passes.

If you really want to fix it permanently, you're going to need to have the tank walls coated. The above method, while certainly viable, will only work to remove the rust that exists currently, it will not inhibit future rust formation. Keeping the tank full will also help...but that can be a chore.

Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cars - Fuel Tank Sealer - Auto Fuel Tanks - Eastwood

Anyone currently riding with a sealed tank? I went ahead and placed an order for this cleaner/sealer. Thanks for the link Vonderbach. Anyone have pointers on removing tank and proceeding with this? Last time I removed my tank I lost some paint. :whistle: Don't ask, that was a stupid error.

Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cars - Fuel Tank Sealer - Auto Fuel Tanks - Eastwood

Exactly what he said. Was browsing quickly before I left for work, so I didn't have time to give a lot of detail. I've used POR-15 in the past on my old Katana to seal the tank. It worked fine for me, but I've heard tons of horror stories about it doing more damage than good. If you follow the instructions verbatim and give plenty of time for it to dry, you will be fine. I suspect most of those horror stories are due to impatience.

I would recommend that you have an air compressor with a decent PSI to make sure that you keep the tank COMPLETELY dry while you have it off the bike. It seemed to me that the potential for it to rust while off the bike was much worse in the colder weather than warm. If it's off the bike, I either keep it filled to the brim with gas or BONE dry. That's what worked for me.

Find someone parting their bike out/price out some alternatives.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some stuff I used awhile ago, rinsed with nuts:oh: to get the loose stuff before product treatment then rinsed product out with water and dried the hell out of it (petcock tube-inlet on bottom and fill hole key slots for vapor/vent exit). Kept it full of fuel with no rust problems since.

Evapo Rust :: Harris International Labs

race & repair 086.jpg

race & repair 085.jpg

race & repair 099.jpg

race & repair 146.jpg

race & repair 148.jpg

race & repair 153.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what he said. Was browsing quickly before I left for work, so I didn't have time to give a lot of detail. I've used POR-15 in the past on my old Katana to seal the tank. It worked fine for me, but I've heard tons of horror stories about it doing more damage than good. If you follow the instructions verbatim and give plenty of time for it to dry, you will be fine. I suspect most of those horror stories are due to impatience.

I would recommend that you have an air compressor with a decent PSI to make sure that you keep the tank COMPLETELY dry while you have it off the bike. It seemed to me that the potential for it to rust while off the bike was much worse in the colder weather than warm. If it's off the bike, I either keep it filled to the brim with gas or BONE dry. That's what worked for me.

I'm out of luck with the air compressor. I guess this is gonna be several weeks long.
Find someone parting their bike out/price out some alternatives.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was doing that but after seeing how simple this fix can be. I've invested in some rust remover and I'll seal it like Volderbach recommended, but mymster's fix is VERY impressive.

Some stuff I used awhile ago, rinsed with nuts:oh: to get the loose stuff before product treatment then rinsed product out with water and dried the hell out of it (petcock tube-inlet on bottom and fill hole key slots for vapor/vent exit). Kept it full of fuel with no rust problems since.

Evapo Rust :: Harris International Labs

WOW! That's very impressive mymaster.

Bike was a 92 GN125 that sat for like 12 years, also dismantled and treated the the carb, very happy with the results.

race & repair 159.jpg

A local Auto Zone carries Evapo Rust. I think, I'm gonna take the plunge and do this on Saturday. After that I'll use the sealant Vonderbach recommemnded. How do I remove the rust and solutions from the tank? Can I take off the cap on the underside of the tank?

A petcock is found on older bikes under the tank. It's a fuel shutoff and reserve lever. You won't have one on your bike. :)

Here's some pics. mymaster, what did you mean by: (petcock tube-inlet on bottom and fill hole key slots for vapor/vent exit)?

A place for the water/moisture/vapor to exit the tank while the drier is blowing hot air into it.

Ok i've got her tore down. Here's where I'm at as of 5 minutes ago. I'm guessing this is the fuel pump. Should I leave it in when after everything is dried out and I use the Evapo Rust? Right now I've got the tank sitting on top of a rubber maid tub above the rust gas. What would y'all do with the rusty gas filter it? toss it?

100_1011.jpg

100_1012.jpg

100_1013.jpg

100_1014.jpg

100_1015.jpg

Back