California Governor signs bill into law, no more aftermarket exhausts

2Wheels2Live

Registered
The governor of california signed a bill into law earlier today I believe, outlawing aftermarket exhausts on all bikes in california. I'm not sure of the details since I don't live in the state, but I believe the bill is called 435? You cali guys need to read up on it so you know what you're up against :banghead: I feel for you :-(
Its just the beginning for the rest of us :whistle:

2+ years before this will kick in...won't make a bit of difference to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

The governor of california signed a bill into law earlier today I believe, outlawing aftermarket exhausts on all bikes in california. I'm not sure of the details since I don't live in the state, but I believe the bill is called 435? You cali guys need to read up on it so you know what you're up against :banghead: I feel for you :-(
Its just the beginning for the rest of us :whistle:

The new law does not prohibit you from using a "aftermarket" exhaust system...just that the new one must meet current noise and emission standards.
Posted via Mobile Device

May only affect bikes made after 2013 but all bikes will soon follow once they see how well it works to cut down pollution and noise which the 'Peoples Republic of' is all about doing .
They've got their foot in the door of stopping the AFM market there .
Other chips like dominoes will follow .
Thank God I live in Florida :thumbsup:

The new law does not prohibit you from using a "aftermarket" exhaust system...just that the new one must meet current noise and emission standards.
Posted via Mobile Device

So just like gun makers the exhaust makers will have to produce 'Cali legal' pipes to do business there .
Sad

I read somewhere that the aftermarket exhausts must have an EPA sticker? I might be wrong but its still a dumb lead. What a revenue maker this is going to be.

I read somewhere that the aftermarket exhausts must have an EPA sticker? I might be wrong but its still a dumb lead. What a revenue maker this is going to be.

That's for a new bike 2013 or newer...if you change the exhaust system...even just the cans. They must have a sticker stating that they are in compliance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lamb doesnt have a problem with the law at all. Performance #'s even for the 600's are off the chart. Wont hurt performance, just the sound. Heck, half the bikes just change out the cans providing zero performance gain anyway.

Other than 60 pounds that is!

This is from the LA Times:

Schwarzenegger tells motorcyclists to pipe down, signs noise bill
September 28, 2010*|* 6:17 pm

Motorcyclist and governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger today signed his name to a controversial motorcycle noise bill. SB 435, also known as the Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act, gives law enforcement officials the ability to cite noise pollution violations under the California Vehicle Code, reinforcing a 27-year-old federal regulation that is rarely enforced.

"Gov. Schwarzenegger signed SB 435 to make California consistent with federal law in respect to motorcycle parts, pollution and noise standards," said Matt Connelly, deputy press secretary for the governor.

The law, which goes into effect for motorcycles and aftermarket parts from the 2013 model year forward, states that motorcyclists pulled over for other traffic violations could also be*cited*for illegally*noisy exhaust pipes. A first violation could result in a fine of $50 to $100 -- a fix-it ticket that could be dismissed with proof of correction. Subsequent offenses would result in fines of $100 to $250.

SB 435 requires motorcycles to maintain their federally required emissions equipment on both original and aftermarket exhaust systems, including a readily visible EPA stamp that certifies compliance.

"Our motorcycle-riding governor clearly recognizes that a few bad apples on our roads are infringing on the rights of others with their illegal, attention-seeking loud pipes," said SB 435 author Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills) in a news release issued Tuesday.

SB 435 was supported by the American Lung Assn. It was opposed by the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Assn., both of which recommended the J-2825 standard developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers "as a fair, practical and economical enforcement tool," according to an industry spokeswoman. J-2825 is a stationary sound test and specifies the type of sound meter to be used.

-- Susan Carpenter

Photo: Al Seib / Los Angeles Times

Just another way to cause more unemployment since each system must meet all Air Standards on ANY bike it's put on. And NO aftermarket has the $$$$$ to test EVERY bike model their system would be put on ! Good Ole CopAphonia , next I guess they'll be asking all the rest of us to get them out of Debt :laugh: . UHhhhhhhhhhhhh :nono: , I forgot, they already have :duh: :p

They have legalized a monopoly. By not allowing competition the manufacturer can charge whatever they want for their cans when you need to replace them after a fall or something. I could understand a noise or emission requirement. But that is a little extreme.

I guess by that time they will have found out a work around, gutting out the stockers :laugh:

Back