Go in!!!

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
I recently snagged a vertical license plate mount off ebay. I was gonna try and have it done before work. Now I can't get the axle to go back through! I've spent the last 30 minutes jostling and rubber malleting it hoping to get it to come through all the way. It's through both sides I just can't get it completely through. Is there something I'm missing here? When I pushed it through the first it was well greased and slid right through just enough for me to slide the license plate bracket over the end of the axle and put it back through. Here are some pics: There isn't much light but in the first you can see the bracket hanging down. It is placed on the axle in between the swing arm and wheel. In the last picture you can see the axle hanging out not wanting to go back. (?)

100_0974.jpg

100_0975.jpg

100_0976.jpg

i would mount it inbetween the adjustor square thing and swingarm outside..

Put the license plate mount between the swingarm and adjuster block! Not on the inside of the swingarm!

Also putting it on the inside of the swing arm makes the bracket act like a spacer. Moves the Sprocket out of alignment.

That is what I noticed, the nut should be on the right side of the bike.

Are you guys sure the nut has to be on the other side? I've read that it's perfectly fine to be on the left side. What's the reasoning behind it being on the right? I'm not saying you guys are wrong I just want to know why it has to be the other way. If this is true and what I read was wrong then the setup from previous owner and his bad habits have me worried. You'll see later when I post a comprehensive look at my poor baby. I sure hope I can save her.
With all that said, I'll move the bracket to the outside of swingarm and reverse the axle and axle nut. Should have it done tomorrow I'll put up a pic of bracket once installed correctly. thanks for setting me straight fellas.

It doesn't specify but in my copy of the service manual it does show the nut being on the right side. If I had to guess the reason the axle won't come all the way through is because the hole in the plate holder isn't big enought to allow it to slip over the axle. Is the threaded part of the axle the same diameter as the rest axle or is it smaller?

I think the axle goes with the nut on the other side of the swingarm.

Stock location for the nut IS on the right side, but it will work on the left also...the bracket DOES need to be on the outside of the swingarm!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Stock location for the nut IS on the right side, but it will work on the left also...the bracket DOES need to be on the outside of the swingarm!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

When you say it will work. It's just the same as if it was on the right, right?

It doesn't specify but in my copy of the service manual it does show the nut being on the right side. If I had to guess the reason the axle won't come all the way through is because the hole in the plate holder isn't big enought to allow it to slip over the axle. Is the threaded part of the axle the same diameter as the rest axle or is it smaller?

jwcfbd, the axle is already through the hole in the plate bracket and coming out the left side swingarm but it won't come anymore than in the first pic. I just assumed the axle was the same size all the way through. I'll pull it out during lunch and have a look see.

Last edited:
Back