Suggestion for white paint?

crankinaway

Registered
I have located a local painter which paints only in HOK. They are very well known for their work and have spoken and seen their work.

Heres my question....I am going white for sure. I love the new snowflake white pearl that is on the newers Suzuki autos, but I am also looking for something that is easily touched up. I believe pearls are tri coat type paint jobs? What options in white do I have in white that aren't really expensive to paint? Even better if you had pics.

Pearl shouldnt cost so much more that its not possible to get it. Your already payin alot for piant, 10-20% more is worth it to get what ya want. As for touch up, well, dont scratch it and you'll be fine. :laugh: Pearls are tri coats.:thumbsup:

I have located a local painter which paints only in HOK. They are very well known for their work and have spoken and seen their work.

Heres my question....I am going white for sure. I love the new snowflake white pearl that is on the newers Suzuki autos, but I am also looking for something that is easily touched up. I believe pearls are tri coat type paint jobs? What options in white do I have in white that aren't really expensive to paint? Even better if you had pics.

for the record, pearl is usually mixed into the clear and not into the paint... and.. pearl, metal flake, and things like that are harder to paint match, and harder to bottle into touch up paint containers..

if you end up tearing up a fairing and have to replace it, it will be very hard to match the pearl.. the painter has to put the exact same amount of pearl in the new batch of paint for it to match accurately.. and... while the painter is painting it the first time, naturally, due to gravity, the pearl will start to sink to the bottom, which basically changes the consistency throughout the paint job... what i mean is... even if the painter matches the paint exactly, it still won't spray the same just because of the laws of physics...

so... keep that in mind.. if you screw up a fairing or something, you're going to get your whole bike repainted for it to match correctly...

I agree the pearl will not cost significantly more, my main concern is ease of touch up. I am anal about trying to keep things looking new and after this last season my bike is far from new looking. I actually put more kms on my bike in 3 months than all year in my truck.

So what if any nice base clear whites are out there?

If the pearl is mixed in the clear, that's a Kandy color and not consider a standard pearl. Most regular pearls apply just like a base coat. If you do have a transparent clear/pearl coat between the clear and base coat then that's a multi layer paint job. Yes, it's difficult to correct if something happens.

The hard part is finding a white pearl that looks white, even when the sun isn't shining on it. Most white pearls that have a nice pearl flake to them have a peach colored effect when in the shade. The white pearls that appear white even in the shade usually don't have much shimmer to them as they appear somewhat flat looking. Meaning that the metallics are smaller and finer, so the white color doesn't distort as much like bigger flakes can.

Can you tell I've done paintwork for a bit? lol

If I were you, I would go for a heavy metallic white pearl. The heavy metallic(big flakes) will look great in the sun and give you the shimmer that we all like.

Last edited:
here's my favorite white one...:whistle:

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

If the pearl is mixed in the clear, that's a Kandy color and not consider a standard pearl. Most regular pearls apply just like a base coat. If you do have a transparent clear/pearl coat between the clear and base coat then that's a multi layer paint job. Yes, it's difficult to correct if something happens.

The hard part is finding a white pearl that looks white, even when the sun isn't shining on it. Most white pearls that have a nice pearl flake to them have a peach colored effect when in the shade. The white pearls that appear white even in the shade usually don't have much shimmer to them as they appear somewhat flat looking. Meaning that the metallics are smaller and finer, so the white color doesn't distort as much like bigger flakes can.

Can you tell I've done paintwork for a bit? lol

If I were you, I would go for a heavy metallic white pearl. The heavy metallic(big flakes) will look great in the sun and give you the shimmer that we all like.

So you're saying a more standard type of pearl sprayed is actually in the paint and clear is clear?

It is hard to find a nice white pearl, Cadillac is nice but starts to appear cream instead of white in the sun.

Originally I wanted a flat white but the paint tech told me if you ever tried to polish anything out it would become shiny instead of matte....so thats out.

Ogre...now thats white. Pearl or single color?

Last edited:
The HOK line is actually cheaper that the factory colors from automakers.

A safe way to spray art work or pearl coats is to put the base down and then a few coats of intermix clear...which is the base coat miuns pigment, toners, Al or mica...then put on the mica coat / art work and lastly the clear coat.

If you want a nice multi color scheme or mica / pear coatl don't worry about repairing a scratch...having what you like will be more rewarding. There are fine, medium and coarse micas...it goes by particle size. Addinga touch of blue to the white base will take away from the yellowing of the layers of clears. It is hard to have a colorless clear...they have a yellow hue...not that it is noticable with the human eye...but instruments do see it. Do it up and ride it.

Thats freakin awesome. HOK has some that glows in the dark, but this has it beat. Can't imagine trying to touch up tho and definetly out of my budget.

I dont know about touch up but it wont take all that much paint to do a bike and they sell it as a kit it comes with primer clear everything needed. It is out there though. Someone on here had a balloon white busa it looks great https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-mods/128900-lamborghini-balloon-white-busa.html

Last edited:
Back