Can you pick out what wrong in this pic?

megawatt

Registered
Take a look. This is what I found today when I decided to investigate my clutch gremlin. Can you see something wrong here?

IMG_1487.jpg

Never mind about the cooked plates, take a close look "at the plates".

You missing one?

looks to be missing #4 from the top. of course I am no expert and will stop guessing at this point.

Last edited:
The clutch should have a fiber plate next to a steel plate from top to bottom. A total of 10 ea fiber plates and 9 steel plates. If you look closely at the pic my clutch was assembled with two steels touching each other below the 3rd fiber from the top.

I noticed I could not put any power down to the street even with just 3 pounds of boost. I opened the clutch cover and found one bolt holding a clutch spring gone (later pulled out of the oil pan. Three other clutch spring bolts finger tight. And only two springs actually torqued down. I was basically using two clutch springs to put turbo power thru the clutch to the transmission.

My fibers were smoked as you can see the material in the basket.

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

Good news is no damage to the clutch basket. Everything seems ok. I did a 150 mile two up ride today with my gf. My busa has not failed me yet, these machines are built like a tank. I will be calling APE in the morning for a new clutch pack and will be back on the road in a couple days.

So a quick reminder to everyone, if something don't feel right it probably is not right and devote some investigation time.

What is the gold Brock's star thing?

Single piece clutch mod from brocks. It eliminates the stock two piece back torque piece, some people think the stock two piece its a slipper clutch but it is not.

Some people with the stock two piece during drag strip launches experiences lurching or grabbing. The gold star thing eliminates it because it removes the back torque property of the two piece.

Single piece clutch mod from brocks. It eliminates the stock two piece back torque piece, some people think the stock two piece its a slipper clutch but it is not.

Some people with the stock two piece during drag strip launches experiences lurching or grabbing. The gold star thing eliminates it because it removes the back torque property of the two piece.

I think this is the piece that some people weld together. Does it works welded?

besides the missing fiber are all the drive plates the same thickness?

My drive plates or the "fiber ones" are all less than .10" (many are 0.093") where 8ea of them should be .12" and two of them at .15"

I did not have a missing fiber plate I had and extra steel plate (driven plate) in the stack. My stack height was 1.94" with an extra steel plate in there! So the fibers are definitely below specs.

The steels are actually all flat with no warping. I will mic the steels later and may keep the good ones for an emergency, but the two steels that were next to each other and all the fiber ones are going in the trash.

Yup, weld the stock two piece to make it one piece or buy the aftermarket type.

Be careful aligning everything up IF you weld it up...if not u will have even MORE clutch gremlins...and i think there are some places out there (maybe even brocks that sell the welded factory parts...

That's sad, but happy that you found it & that it didn't completely fail or shell out on you!!!
Was this done by someone, or from the factory this way?

luckily you caught the damage. Your clutch pack just has minor burns. Locktite those clutch bolts next time (both the towers and the spring bolts). They tend to loosen up.

That's sad, but happy that you found it & that it didn't completely fail or shell out on you!!!
Was this done by someone, or from the factory this way?

Someone else did it, or I should say made the mistake. But all is good now, got a new clutch pack ordered this morning.

Two steels next to eachother to make up stack height is no big deal. They dont rotate against eachother, but you're only using one side against a fiber. it shouldnt have any effect on the actual operation of the clutch. We've got a few guys running the same program around here that 60'f a 63in bike consistent 1.40's and street ride very regularly. Stack Height is stack height around here!

My drive plates or the "fiber ones" are all less than .10" (many are 0.093") where 8ea of them should be .12" and two of them at .15"

I did not have a missing fiber plate I had and extra steel plate (driven plate) in the stack. My stack height was 1.94" with an extra steel plate in there! So the fibers are definitely below specs.

The steels are actually all flat with no warping. I will mic the steels later and may keep the good ones for an emergency, but the two steels that were next to each other and all the fiber ones are going in the trash.

i meant the steels. doesnt the gen1 run 2 different thicknesses as well?

Back