Torque Wrench accuracy

jeremy_283

Registered
I was torquing down some crankcase bolts tonight (2 of them) and I think i accidently torqued them to 20ft.lbs instead of the 19 specified.... I got worried that something bad may result but then I thought about it... I've been using a Kobalt clicker-type torque wrench for 3 years very extensively (i use on everything, have a habit of stripping out bolts) and never had it re-calibrated... you think its pretty far off or what?

also, any harm in the crankcase bolts being 1ft.lb overtorqued? its the ones that holed the pair valve bracket to the crankcase...

Don't sweat it, that's nothing. If you use torque wrenches a lot they should be re-calibrated about once a year or so. If not used that often, just make sure to return the setting to 0 ft/lbs after each use and you should be good for 2~3 years I'd guess. Usually on clicker type torque wrenches I click it 3 times to assure I don't UNDER-Torque it. You are fine!!

1ft lb won't make any difference. As long as you turn it back down to the minimum setting after every use it should still be quite accurate.

No Problem, I don't know anyone that accurate all the time :thumbsup:

You think the local Suzuki Mechanic or Auto Mechanic is that accurate ??? and he has to PAY $$$$ for his errors :rulez:

I told you to ride that bike more and stop mucking around with it. :poke:

Dude! It's almost done, I'm just waiting for my gipro then going to the dyno then it's done!..... Stupid international shipping....

Oil Reduce torque 15% to 25%
Dry Film (Teflon or moly based) Reduce torque 50%
Dry Wax (Cetyl alcohol) Reduce torque 50%
Chrome plating No change
Cadmium plating Reduce torque 25%
Zinc plating Reduce torque 15%

Got the above from the net, don't know if its accurate, but do know the above does change the values.

Had this demonstrated early in my career........the guy used oil from his forhead....un real. So like others have said don't sweat 1 ft/lb.

Too lazy to look up what stretched threads will do to it also..........

Last edited:
Back