Helmet law passed in Texas this summer

viasevenvai

Registered
Well, it's official.

It's illegal to wear a helmet in Texas, the fines are double when it's hot outside.

I can confirm this by not seeing a single person with a helmet on.....ever.

This is Blanca and I hitting back of this truck at less than 20mph !
db64fa06.jpg

Look carefully at tailgate . This was my shoulder inside of jacket .
Without jacket I would have broken at least collarbone and probably shoulder .
Look at black trim piece next to window. This is helmet marks .
Without helmet I would either be dead or permanently dumb!
Look at bumper and taillight . These were my pants and boots .
Without either I would have most def broken shin/knee/ankle
I walked off and rode bike home over 200 miles.
In an oven as it is here in South Florida I always have and always will wear all my gear .

You really only need a helmet when you crash, since you spend more time riding than crashing it's seems like a logical decision to leave it off. It's more fun riding without the lid....

It's those rare get offs and unexpected collisions that ar helmets shop key selling points when they pushing for the matching helmet sale:laugh:

This is Blanca and I hitting back of this truck at less than 20mph !
db64fa06.jpg

Look carefully at tailgate . This was my shoulder inside of jacket .
Without jacket I would have broken at least collarbone and probably shoulder .
Look at black trim piece next to window. This is helmet marks .
Without helmet I would either be dead or permanently dumb!
Look at bumper and taillight . These were my pants and boots .
Without either I would have most def broken shin/knee/ankle
I walked off and rode bike home over 200 miles.
In an oven as it is here in South Florida I always have and always will wear all my gear .

This is a 20mph accident? Wow, glat to hear u are ok

I'm dead center in Texas, i.e. Austin, and I'd say it's 50/50 here. Personally, will never do it.

I heard that when you are crashing, you just need to jump and you'll be ok.

Same with elevators.

Well, it's official.

It's illegal to wear a helmet in Texas, the fines are double when it's hot outside.

I can confirm this by not seeing a single person with a helmet on.....ever.

Illegal to wear one? Am I misreading this? :poke:

Illegal to wear one? Am I misreading this? :poke:

I don't know what he is talking about, George Bush repealed the helmet law in Texas in 1997 but it required the rider to carry $10K worth of health insurance. Looks like Governor Perry signed a bill repealing that in Sept. of 2009.

Motorcycle Helmet Exemptions
On June 19, 2009, Governor Rick Perry signed into law
Senate Bill 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session.
This law became effective September 1, 2009 and
repealed the helmet exemption sticker program.

Please read the following important information pertaining
to the helmet exemption:

Former law required a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The law removes that minimum amount. The law requires the Texas Department of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 years of age and covered by an applicable health insurance plan. "Health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.
The law prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner.

For more information on this law, please visit Texas Legislature Online or contact the Texas Department of Insurance at 800-252-3439.

I think he's being sarcastic .
Since it's so hot there and he sees nobody wearing them he's being sarcastic and saying it must be illegal to wear one ?

I think he's being sarcastic .
Since it's so hot there and he sees nobody wearing them he's being sarcastic and saying it must be illegal to wear one ?

Oh, gotcha...

To each his/her own I say...I don't debate with friends about the subject anymore. I have friends that wear 'em and those that don't...I'm not their Mom :laugh:

Folks around my area of Texas (at least the sportbike riders) seem to where their helmets, but nothing else... sigh. And lets not get started about the touring and cruiser riders around here.

i go back and forth from okc to dallas all the time, and see most sportbike riders wearing helmets. not so much the cruisers, but im sure thats the case most places.

No. None of us are required to "mother" each other; however! I work as a music therapist at the Centre for Neuroskills and a lot of the guys (yes, they're almost all guys) are there because of motorcycle accidents. We have seatbelt laws for cars, smoking bans to keep people healthier, and other laws that make sense for a modern society to keep its citizens safe, even when they don't want to. Wearing a helmet when riding seems like a no-brainer, which is what you'll get if you don't wear one! I'm all for helmet laws. It just makes sense and will keep everyone's healthcare costs, no to mention insurance, down.

Back