Ride from Florida to Alaska in under 15 days, 1st one to finish wins $500K in gold!

kromdom

wannabe HOON
Donating Member
Registered
Anybody here heard of the HOKA HEY Challenge? "Hoka Hey" is a Lakota phrase meaning "it is a good day to die" and was the battle cry used by Crazy Horse and his warriors

The 1st one was held last 20JUN-04JUL2010, started from Key West, Florida and ended in Homer, Alaska (with a swing thru Canada). Limited to the 1st 1000 to sign up, around 700-800 actually raced but only around 250 completed the race (one sadly died trying). More info here: Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "hard core" riders here know these too well but take a gander at some of the rules below:
1. you do not know the exact route in advance, you get maps for each leg only at checkpoints. BTW, No GPS!
2. cannot sleep INDOORS (no motels/hotels, etc.), camp outdoors only
3. mostly on secondary roads (highways to a minimum)
4. no auxillary fuel tanks allowed
5. the winner must then pass a drug test/polygraph to ensure no rules were violated
6. motorcycle must be an air-cooled V-Twin (this one's for the Harley Haters/Bashers here)

Another one will be done in 2011, slated to run from San Diego to Nova Scotia and this time, the winner gets a cool $1,000,000. :cheerleader:

Maybe PASHNIT can organize one for BUSAs only? :whistle:
CAPTAIN, this would be the MAN TRIP of a lifetime! sleepless red, this one's for you buddy :beerchug:

Last edited:
Re: Ride from Florida to Alaska in under 15 days, 1st one to finish wins $500K in gol

wow, thats crazy and cool all at once

Re: Ride from Florida to Alaska in under 15 days, 1st one to finish wins $500K in gol

Maybe PASHNIT can organize one for BUSAs only? :whistle:

Couple guys in a bar likely came up with this idea. :laugh:

Krom, Done it, wrote a book about it. But I had spare gas, bag full of military rations, and indeed did hundreds of miles of gravel on this big ole thing. How they would stay off highways? There's only two roads that go to Alaska. Took me about a week. :thumbsup:
Motorcycle Journey- Mount Saint Helens via Crater Lake, Oregon | Pashnit.com

KenaiPenn.jpg

KenaiPenn.jpg

I'm def down with this one! would have 2 raise my bike up tho or i'd be a hurting unit!:laugh:

023.jpg

Yeah, like a Harley is gonna be running for 15 consecutive days.

Seriously, It's sounds like torture.

Why not just try to beat Peter Egans record. Prudhoe Bay to Key West in 100 hours :oh:
And he did this after breaking his BIG TOE in an off just after leaving Prudhoe !

Egan, HE'S DA MAN :bowdown:

Of course in an interview later he said, "I'll NEVER DO THAT AGAIN" :whistle: we will see :laugh:

interesting... :thumbsup:

hmm... im interested

missed the vtwin bit... nvm

must be Vtwin only, 15 days to make it.

Inline4, there and back in 10 days:whistle:

Anybody here heard of the HOKA HEY Challenge? "Hoka Hey" is a Lakota phrase meaning "it is a good day to die" and was the battle cry used by Crazy Horse and his warriors

Are you sure...I thought it was Klingon...:whistle:

V -Twins only ??? No wonder only 250 finished :poke: :rofl:

Yeah, that would be rough with an air cooled v-twin. Well, not all of them, but most of them.
I'm pretty sure that I'd be the one to die, but it would be a cool experience if one were to try it. Guess that my water cooled V-Twin would be out of the question.

Do they give you the next leg immediately upon reaching the check point, or is this one of those "time trial" races where everyone leaves at nearly the same time of the day?

If I have the time, I'd love to try that.

im up for it :thumbsup:
can i use a victory vison?:laugh:
a million bucks can pay alot of speeding tickets!

a million bucks can pay alot of speeding tickets!

There is going to be some VERY SPECIFIC rules :rulez: you sign and agree to. The Legal Liability issue is really tough in most states where rallys are held on PUBLIC ROADS. You speed and cause an accident, the organizers WILL BE SUED ! That's why the IBA takes you Drivers Lic./ Insurance Card and seals them in an envelope. If the seal is broken, YOUR DISQUALIFIED - PERIOD (*Unless you get an Officer to write a statement (or sign one you write) saying you were stoped at a Lic or Insurance Check Point) ! Why, well what does the LEO's ask for first when your stopped ! Infact, Texas was going to get so tough, they were going to pass a bill that would make IBA type rallys ILLEGAL ! So, I'am sure you need to READ the rules FIRST before you think about setting the road on Fire :laugh:

I'm so sharing this with my buddy Andy (guys that know him from the Bash, crazy dude on the Harley)...this is right up his alley! :thumbsup:

did 39 states on my bike around the US in 20 days camping all but one night . hella fun !

Back