Advice on clutch parts replacement

TallTom

Registered
After a month of being out of town I finally got to address a leak I had at the clutch master cylinder. So in taking a look at this I want to ask some advice on this as well the notion of clutch replacement advice.

I have a 2003. 17K miles. Original factory never gone into clutch. Never even cracked into her yet for needed maintenance til now.

I developed a leak at my clutch master cylinder (Handlebar cylinder). It appears as though the rubber seal on the piston assembly has failed. I figured I would tear it apart and simply replace the rubber items. However the parts breakdown doesn't go past the piston cup assembly Item 2, as shown on the IPB. I would rather not change out the whole thing for a $3 set of rubbers but I don't see any way to do it otherwise, so a little help there would be appreciated. I will also change the boot, Item 3 out since it is soft from fluid exposure.

Secondly. At 17K should I consider a clutch change out? My clutch wasn't acting like it had any issues but I figured since I'm here if they typically go to 15K and I am at 17 I maybe should consider simply changing it out now as a PM instead of going here in another 2K or so miles.

Can I crack it open and do an inspection of the plates and measure thicknesses. Is there a pass fail criteria?

Then assuming a change out, should I go with OEM or aftermarket say EBC or some other option?

I am not trying to spend money just to spend it, and at 200ish I am not going to do it just to do it, but I will spend it if I know it wil be soon spent anyway.

I have tried calling a few of our board sponsors but am getting no answers on the phone calls. So if I am looking at going OEM I'd like to avoid the Stealership prices.

So in summary I need to replace the rubbers on the clutch shifting cup and at the same time consider the whole clutch. Any recommendations on how and with whom I should proceed getting this sorted out and put back together?

Right now I have the M/C removed and the cup out and cleaned up. I have not touched the case for the clutch yet.

Waiting on you guys to offer some inputs.

Thanks in advance.

OEM clutch plates and fibers are about the best. I wouldn't do aftermarket.
I have never seen anyone need to rebuild their mastercylinder or resorvour(sp).

On a side note. I just HAPPERN to have a MINT set of both, complete handlebar controls for sale, CHEAP!!
Brake handlebar resorvour and lever, and clutch resorvour and lever. :laugh:

I also have a perfect measured stack height set of brand new OEM clutches for about half price, if you decide to go that route.

I obviously have a motive to sell this stuff, so get more opinions, and if I can help, please feel free to let me know. I have a GENII bike now, so no need for thee parts anymore.
Thanks

In all honesty, I go by, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
However, you ARE already right there, so I understand your position. :beerchug:

I never expected a leak at the M/C either. It only leaked when the clutch handle was depressed. I have set of Pazzo's on it. I wonder is somehow they place a different angle of leverage on the piston rod?

At any rate, I have a leak that I will fix and depending on how this goes for parts choices I may see just how cheap, cheap is for your items. :thumbsup:

P.S Are they black? And is the stack for a 2003? I understand there are some differences in stack heights in early Gen 1 vs later ones.

Last edited:
I would just replace the master cylinder. Go with a used unit and save yourself money. As for the plates. I wouldn't bother unless you feel as if the clutch is slipping. I had over 30 k on my stock setup without any issues.
I do a lot of hard riding.

I had Pazzo on my 03, and my 09 with no problem, so I think you just got into a unique situation of a parts failure. The 1s I have are black and mint. Will be a direct replacement.

The stack height on a 99-07 GENI Busa are all the same. Personally, I wouldn't go into it till you see signs of it wearing, but they are here if you choose.

:thumbsup:

I agree, if your not drag racing doing hole shots, that clutch could go alot longer. Dont fix it if it aint broke. My vtx has 52,000 on the stock clutch, No where near the power as my busa but just for comparison.

OK so no clutch replacement is in order at this time.

So back to the original failure fix. Anybody got a line of the OEM parts? Do they make rebuild kits for these master cylinders?

Back