Clutch Sensor

rdnckjim

Registered
The sensor that meets up with the clutch lever, what does it do other than make sure the clutch is pulled in to start, could it cause a stutter when releasing if it was getting worn down, I already had to adjust my levers to pull in more so it would start up.

It also signals the ECU its state. The ECU in turn invokes different parameters that might cause the stutter you are seeing. However, I would think that could happen only if your tune is off. It also lowers the rev limiter.

If you are wondering if you can disable it, not easily. Not by simply shorting the two wires together like you would the side-stand sensor.

I definetely don't want to short it or remove it, I just want to know if it is worth replacing to see if my bike starts acting right again. Didn't honestly know if the switch was anything more than a "the clutch is pulled in sensor". Thanks for the info greatly appreciated

If I short the clutch switch, might I get an error light. I got one, I think it was C40, anyway, its indication was throttle position sensor. Anyway, can shorting the switch cause an error light if I haven't retuned the bike?

Bad connection in the clutch switch may prevent you from starting the bike, but it would not cause the stutter. You can also easily test the clutch switch witout any tools and without taking anything apart. Let me know.

If the stutter is random, and is getting worse over time, I would suspect a poor electrical connection elsewhere. You can get rid of it in a couple of hours. Let me know if you want to take this route, and I will elaborate on this.

Last edited:
If I short the clutch switch, might I get an error light. I got one, I think it was C40, anyway, its indication was throttle position sensor. Anyway, can shorting the switch cause an error light if I haven't retuned the bike?

Does pulling and releasing the clutch lever cause any error codes?

Back