Check your tire repair kit.

Acehole

The crowbar!
Donating Member
Registered
Went to a viewing for a friends ex-wife this evening. When i came out and took off on the bike it felt wiggly..:laugh: Sure enough rear tire was pretty low.
So i limped it about 6 blocks to a gas station feeling all smug that i had my niffty-spiffy tire repair kit under the hump.

I put the bike up on one of those sticks to raise the back off the ground. Bought a bottle of water and went looking for the leak. D'oh! small cut leaking air.

I pull out the the tire kit, poke a hole thru the cut with that raspy thing and thread a plug on to the tool. I go for the tube of glue and the plastic bag that it's in is all hard, but the tube is in perfect condition. So i punch a hole in the top and proceed to squeeze .....nothing. The tube goes flat and feels like its dry inside.

I had to make a call to a friend to bring me some rubber cement so i could finish the repair and ride the 35 twisty miles home.

Good thing i was in town and not out on the open road.

Moral of the story?

Check you tire kits and anything else you depend on for repairs out on the road. You might just save yourself a big :banghead:

I have a compressor, tire plug kit, & rubber gloves, in my hump... just in case.

It's been raining.. running out of things to do on the bike.. so I checked mine today..

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Good Idea! My kit is about 3-4 years old and no sense have it if it aint gonna work.

I'll check it this week.

will do...my kit is fairly new but it still wouldn't hurt to check before someone needs to use it! :beerchug:

Good advice.
What kind of plug did you put in there ?
Did you just use a regular style plug you put in a car or a mushroom style one ?
And where did you get your air from ?

I bought a mushroom plug kit from Pashnit that came with four c02 canisters and I'm curious if anyone has ever used the c02 cans and how many it took to fill tire ?

I don't have one, but now I feel that I need one. Recommendations? Any sponsors have a good kit (including a compressor)?

I carry the one with no glue as well. When I picked up a screw 70 miles from home it proved worth its weight in gold. Definitely a MUST HAVE for any rider. Good advice! :thumbsup:

Good advice...I keep the sticky plugs now that do not require rubber cement...they can get kinda gooey on a hot day though~!~

I guess I need to catch up with you guys, I don't evwn have a kit at all. I am going to Advance Auto today for sure and pick one up.

I picked up one of those nifty little Slime compressors at Wal-Mart for around fifteen bucks. I don't pack it around locally but it goes on every trip.

Like UncleSteve says, try the plugs with self adhesive glue.

Harbor Freight has a little compressor that would be a good size to pack for a trip...

Overall dimensions: 6-5/8" L x 2.8" W x 5-1/4" H

12 Volt, 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

image_3456.jpg

image_3456.jpg

I bought this kit from Tim at Pashnit for less than $50 shipped.
Comes in a pouch and fits nicely in my 'trunk'.
Also has laminated instruction card.
Mushroom plugs and four C02 canisters.
Should work but I hope I never have to find out .
f2368345.jpg

Back