Why does my '07 Busa leak oil???

bjewell

Registered
It used to be an occasional spot on the garage floor, but now it is a bit more serious. Seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine, maybe a drain plug? Anyone else have this problem?

FWIW, I've never bumped the bottom on anything or felt something hit the bike from below. Just a regular riding bike for a 64-year-old owner...

easiest answer is that the drain plug is either over/under tightened or missing the crush washer. Should be 16 ftlbs. Over tightened (like 17) will strip the threads and undertightened will allow oil escape...

^^^I've been informed that this is a common problem with busas. Especially if they always get over tightened during oil changes. So question is what's the fix?

^^^I've been informed that this is a common problem with busas. Especially if they always get over tightened during oil changes. So question is what's the fix?

Do a search for "oil drain plug".

You will see everything from teflon tape, helicoils, over sized plugs to replacing the whole pan.

I have 40k on my second owner '05. I put on 36000 of those miles with an oil change every 3000 or less. Torque wrench every time, same crush washer and still not a leak one.

Also check your stator cover, Could be leaking from there, I have read a couple threads about leaking from there.

mine only leaks when the a gasket or seal fails. These engines don't normaly leak. Find the source of your leak and replace the gasket/seal.

It's not leaking, it's marking it's territory! Now where have I heard that before? :laugh:

I've had some leakage problems with my drain plug, even when properly torqued, with a new crush washer.
Best fix I've found is a little clear RTV on the bolt threads. Torque it, and it has never leaked again.

The shop stripped out my oil drain plug. Smither's fixed it for me with a steel insert from the inside.

It used to be an occasional spot on the garage floor, but now it is a bit more serious. Seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine, maybe a drain plug? Anyone else have this problem?

FWIW, I've never bumped the bottom on anything or felt something hit the bike from below. Just a regular riding bike for a 64-year-old owner...

Hi Tom,
If you don't have the tools or area to work on the bike you are welcome to bring it by my shop where we can determine why it is leaking. I believe I have an extra crush washer if needed. PM me for my cell #

I went through this from a previous owner mishap.. leaked for a year... oil ALWAYS gathers at the drain plug because its the lowest point and when its on the stand it looks like its coming from there.

Mine was the actual oil pan gasket. Fun job..just make sure you do it right the first time so you dont have to redo it.

Thanks guys. I've had all my work done at PCP Motorsports because I purchased an extended service warrantly which expired in July. I asked them to fix that and it still leaks, so I'll ask them to look again. They're decent folks in the service Department.

Thanks guys. I've had all my work done at PCP Motorsports because I purchased an extended service warrantly which expired in July. I asked them to fix that and it still leaks, so I'll ask them to look again. They're decent folks in the service Department.

Tom,
You just explained who caused your oil leak.

I had an oil leak from the oil pan seam so I checked the torque on all the bolts which were good but it still leaked. It only had about 1000 miles on it but I don't trust the dealers service people (scratched plastics, stripped or missing bolts) so I bought a gasket and changed it myself.

To my amazement, when I dropped the pan I discovered that there never was a gasket installed. As clean as can be. Considering that there was no gasket its amazing how little it was leaking.

I've owned 5 Busa's but it was the only one I've ever had a problem with.

I had an oil leak from the oil pan seam so I checked the torque on all the bolts which were good but it still leaked. It only had about 1000 miles on it but I don't trust the dealers service people (scratched plastics, stripped or missing bolts) so I bought a gasket and changed it myself.

To my amazement, when I dropped the pan I discovered that there never was a gasket installed. As clean as can be. Considering that there was no gasket its amazing how little it was leaking.

I've owned 5 Busa's but it was the only one I've ever had a problem with.
I had the same problem only the gasket was torn in a few places...i had the dealer fix the gasket only to find they almost ruined my radiator while doing it:banghead:I do my own work now!

Back