With welded clutch, can i just use spacers?

Pat Dietrich

Registered
I hate heavy springs for the clutch. Going to weld up the clutch hub today and was wondering if anyone reading this has a higher hp (220)bike that has the 1 piece or has welded the clutchup and has got away with just using spacers over heavier springs without clutch slippage??
Went to the track last weds and just could not come out smooth at all with stock clutch. Best of 8.97@158. Short time was "ok" 1.48 but my 330 was like 3.94 i think so was fighting the bike through all of 1st and need to fix this before this friday when a few of us are going back to muncie IN dragstrip. Just dont want to try the spacers if we already know they wont hold anything over a stock bike.
Thanks for any input.

I know of a lot of guys that run a welded or one piece hub, then run spacers or springs. You should be fine at that HP level. I've seen spacers/springs go to the 300(and beyond) mark on quite a few bikes.

Crawler- I would rather just run the spacers they offer for the mod (.160) instead of having to put in heavy springs. Springs will hold no problem(heavy)just wondered if anybody went with the spacers that came with Brocks 1 piece and actually had to change to heavy springs because the spacers just wasnt enough added pressure to get away with it?? I searched and went through 4 pages and gave up so was hopin someone might see this(quick:laugh:) and be able to share their experience with this.Thanks:thumbsup:

Stock springs and the spacers was marginal on my bike (GenI) and I'm way short of 220hp. By marginal, I mean that the clutch bite was a bit soft allowing more slippage on engagement. Thus clutch life suffered. I don't know what the working height is with the Gen II. The springs and posts are different. I was going to update mine and never did. (Still may) The combination of some heavy springs and spacers will result in coil bind on the Gen I bikes.

You might look at a combination of stock springs with spacers and heavy springs without. I ran 4 stock , 2 heavy as well as 3 stock 3 heavy.
Somewhere on here I posted some pressures of various springs with and without spacers.

Thats what I was looking for Sir. Old bike I ran 3 springs that were heavier than norm heavy springs and 3 stockers with spacers. Looks like I'll have to do something similar. Thanks for the help Prof:thumbsup:

either way you go you are going to need a slave support. the stock sprocket covers are very week and will crack with spacers or heavy springs.

If the spacers work out please post it, I use half of the APE springs along with half of the brocks spacers w/ stock springs for the 311hp. Have not had time off work to try it on the track.

I did not notice obvious problems with brocks spacers on stock springs when only at 240hp for street riding and only once at the track. Pic of the clutch plates just before the 311hp upgrade.

platebrn.jpg

These were the same clutch plates that were cleaned up and put back in the bike, then dyno tuned. No slippage noticed then or now but with half heavy springs installed.

So what im doing is welding stock hub together and got a set of gen 1spring studs to use with gen 1 heavy schnitz springs. Will use 3 heavy with 3 stock and see how that works out. Obviously slave support was ordered today also. Although with spacers only theres a good chance its not needed. Ran spacers for sometime in gen 1 bike and never had an issue. Put one on when I switched to the heavier springs for reassurance. Thanks for everyones help.

Back