Test ride: S1000RR BMW

CWCobra

Registered
My buddy picked up a new R1200GS today, and I met him at the BMW store. While waiting for paperwork to be signed, etc, the owner saw me looking over the S1000 on the showroom floor, and asked me if I wanted a ride. I said, "SURE!!", with no hesitation.

Here's my unbiased opinion of the S1000RR:
It's a rocket, especially above 7000 rpms. Easiest shifting bike I've ever driven - it had some sort of shift assist from the factory. Fantastic brakes. Really made my 'Busa brakes feel inadequate. Horrible seat. My test ride was only about 10 miles, but my butt felt like 100 miles. Then again, the S1000 isn't exactly a tourer now, is it? Performance above 7,000 rpm was really impressive, but in the typical urban setting of my test drive, the 'Busa is much easier to ride, and more impressive down low in the rpm band.

My conclusion: I don't see myself as a S1000RR owner. The 'Busa does so much more for me, is faaaaar more comfortable to ride, is more impressive performance-wise in your typical urban-traffic setting. I imagine if I were a week-end track warrior, the S1000 would be the way to go. But for my style of riding, and my typical highway experience, the 'Busa is still king of the hill!

The store owner told me to come back real soon...wanted me to test out a new Ducati...I'll keep y'all posted!!

BTW, props to the store: Pandora's Motorsports, in Chattanooga, TN. a real class operation!

CW

thanks for the info...im not sold on the concept of thier mechanical issues so far

BTW, props to the store: Pandora's Motorsports, in Chattanooga, TN. a real class operation!

I test rode one there also. great bike, but even better group of folks that run that place. They do not care what you ride, they make everyone welcome. Awesome place. :)

I test rode one there also. great bike, but even better group of folks that run that place. They do not care what you ride, they make everyone welcome. Awesome place. :)

That's awesome in itself.

We don't have a beamer store but we have a local ducati store...guy's a d:smileyexhibit:

Took my bike to him for a tire change, said he would do it on a Sat. if I dropped
off the bike. Was there first thing, as I pull up the flunky in front asked me
to pull my bike up on the concrete (where all the used bikes are) cause the
asphault is soft. O.K. no biggie.

Dropped my bike off, waited for a call as I never got one, went by to pick my
bike up, it was now just a half hour before they closed at 5:00....MY BIKE
NEVER MOVED AND SPENT THE DAY SITTING IN THE USED BIKE SECTION OUT
FRONT
. No idea how many people poked, prodded, and sat on my baby.

I went in and was like :wtf:, guy said he was busy and couldn't get to it YET.
I said nevermind and he didn't bat an eye or even care I was there...guess
I just didn't ride a Ducati :bowdown:.... and if I ever do ride one...I GUARANTEE IT WON'T
BE BOUGHT FROM THERE (my significant other want's a monster)

The owner at Pandora's saw that I was riding a 'Busa, and brought out one of his techs that he wanted me to meet...goes by the nickname of "Busadoc". Owns two Hayabusas, has lots of experience with them. Spent probably 20 minutes talking about all things 'Busa wise...If I ever need work done, I'll prolly give these guys a shout. Really impressive as to how they meet and greet the customer-no matter what you drive.

CW

test ride, you dont see that often

That's what I was gonna say.....especially having the owner ask you if you want a ride and not the other way round. Also bad when you get those sportbike riders revving the pizz out of the demos!:poke:

:lol:

The owner at Pandora's saw that I was riding a 'Busa, and brought out one of his techs that he wanted me to meet...goes by the nickname of "Busadoc". Owns two Hayabusas, has lots of experience with them. Spent probably 20 minutes talking about all things 'Busa wise...If I ever need work done, I'll prolly give these guys a shout. Really impressive as to how they meet and greet the customer-no matter what you drive.

CW

I've been in there a few times and they've always been very friendly and helpful. From what I understand, the father and son that own the place are in it more as a hobby than a money maker. I was looking at an R 1200 GS Adventure once and one of the owners almost insisted that I take his personal bike for a test ride since they didn't have a demo bike at the time. I've also been invited to track days and other events that they've sponsored. If I were in the market for a BMW or Ducati, it would definitely come from there. I didn't know they had a "Busadoc" there... That's good intel! :thumbsup:

Busadoc is the guy Don always let work on his bike. From what I understand, he is the guy you would want to work on your bike. I get emails from them on different rides and events they have. If my bike needs work in the future, this is where it will go. :)

Tested one in race mode, loved it. seat or position didn't bother me, I'm a lightweight.
Insane brakes.

Back