Rock chucks my rim. Need expert opinions!!

CCbusa05

Donating Member
Registered
I hit a rock yesterday (didn't see it hiding in the shadows of a tree over hanging the road), but no damage to the tire. I need to know if I should buy a new front wheel. Unfortunately, Ebay sells the whole set, front and rear and I don't know if I can find an excellent condition used one since my busa is an 09. Not too many OEM silver wheels out there yet!?
Anyway, if you guys think it's OK, I'll have my shop file it down smooth when I change out the tire which was scheduled to do this week anyway. THANKS IN ADVANCE guys, I have never had this happen before and I'm completely clueless!

Jimbo

100_4031 (Large).jpg

100_4032 (Large).jpg

100_4033 (Large).jpg

Ive seen worse on car rims b4 and as long as the rim isnt bent and it does not leak air I would just smooth out the scrape and let it ride.

no worries. Like the previous posts. Do a lil sanding and you're good to go. That is more common than you would think. Although larger than the most common ones, it's not gonna effect anything.

Clean up the edges and run it. Keep you eyes out for a replacement down the road at the right price.

I'm not an expert, but I have had one in similar shape. It will fine, smooth it out and ride it. That is the kind of thing that always happens to me!

Looks fine. Do a good one over on rest of rim. Make sure no cracks appeared anywhere on it. Not likely,but not impossible.

Bummer Jim....the Professor is right....BUT examine the inside of the wheel at the impact point with a magnifying device (2.0 reading glasses work fine) for a hairline crack. It's probably OK but YOUR eyes must confirm that for piece of mind! Doyle
(and in a few months you can find a set of Carrozerria wheels for replacement!)

P1020649.JPG

A rock that big that did that kinda of damage my first thought is I'm glad you didn't crash !
But as the others say if it's still holding air and not bent you should be fine as long as your mind can deal with a nicked wheel .

THANKS a bunch guys! I'll examine it further when the tire is off the wheel, but for now, I'm feeling much better about it. I'll smooth it out and go with it.
I can live with the imperfection.
You guys rock!! :thumbsup:

I had worse than that from a mad tire machine. Rode it for 2 weeks until the dealer got the replacement rim. It'll be fine if it's not bent or cracked any further into the wheel. Sand it off and ride it. I might replace it someday if I could, just for looks.

OMG thats horrible!! Its completly ruined!! I keed, I keed.
Just didnt wanna say what everyone else already did. :laugh:

Back