Is the world crazy-or just me?

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
I had the strangest experience yesterday! Here's what happened. I'm ridng home after teaching my MSF class--it's about 4:00 PM, traffic starting to get a little heavy on the expressway, bright sunny day. As I pull off the expressway, I stop at the light to make a left hand turn. This little old guy pulls up next to me in his full size Chevy truck and shouts out "Hey *******-do you always ride with your high beam headlights on to bother the **** out of others?" I shout back (of course I can't keep my mouth shut!!)-- "IT WORKED! You saw me didn't you?" Well, he starts this rant--" FU--FU--FU!!!" then starts to get out of his truck. I'm thinking HOLY CRAP-- he might have a gun or something. Now I'm no muscle guy--but I'm 6'6", 230# and do try to take care of myself. Just then, I get the green arrow to move out--so I do and leave him behind. As I move out I can still hear him screaming at me!

It got me thinking--do others bikers ride with their high beams on during the day? I've seen lots that do, and I know I've passed cops and have NEVER been told otherwise. I'm just thinking it's better to be seen that way--especially in heavy traffic on a bright sunny day. I'd be interested in your comments!

i do it, seems like its suggested in the booklet that i was given to read a few years back to get my motorcycle endorsement here in NC. maybe the guy had a bad day and chose to take it out on you.

Last edited:
Its legal here in california for Motorcycles to drive with their highbeams on during daylight hours. So flip that switch and be seen! You should of attempted to park your bike up that dudes A$$! Just saying....:whistle:

I do it everyday I commute to work on the bike. I would rather have some old guy rant at me about it then the alternative.
Anyways if he was in a full size Chevy truck I can't imagine how your high beams affected him that much. I have a Silverado 1500 and with the height of my truck I don't see how high beams on a motorcycle would even come close to annoying me.

All the time, HID's at that. Get comments on how bright they are often but have never been assaulted because of them. You don't see me getting off my bike to preach to others about their poor driving or littering habits though. I'm not a big fan of aggressive behavior, I really do not do well in those situations.

I had the strangest experience yesterday! Here's what happened. I'm ridng home after teaching my MSF class--it's about 4:00 PM, traffic starting to get a little heavy on the expressway, bright sunny day. As I pull off the expressway, I stop at the light to make a left hand turn. This little old guy pulls up next to me in his full size Chevy truck and shouts out "Hey *******-do you always ride with your high beam headlights on to bother the **** out of others?" I shout back (of course I can't keep my mouth shut!!)-- "IT WORKED! You saw me didn't you?" Well, he starts this rant--" FU--FU--FU!!!" then starts to get out of his truck. I'm thinking HOLY CRAP-- he might have a gun or something. Now I'm no muscle guy--but I'm 6'6", 230# and do try to take care of myself. Just then, I get the green arrow to move out--so I do and leave him behind. As I move out I can still hear him screaming at me!

It got me thinking--do others bikers ride with their high beams on during the day? I've seen lots that do, and I know I've passed cops and have NEVER been told otherwise. I'm just thinking it's better to be seen that way--especially in heavy traffic on a bright sunny day. I'd be interested in your comments!

I ride with my highs on during the day all the time, like you said being seen is important
I'm 6'6", 230# and do try to take care of myself.

Sounds like he would have gotten himself broken in half to proving he was stupid...some people ARE crazy.:beerchug:

I have found that 55W HID low beams and an obnoxiously loud fluorescent riding jacket gets the job done for me, but traffic in my part of the world is calmer. For the record, I thin the guy was out of line. Anyways, bright headlights are only blinding if you gaze into them.

Me personaly, i don't,i'm sure they can see the lowbeam just as well(or maybe not ). However I don't see how a highbeam can bother some one on a bright sunny day.I agree with brian i think he was just haveing a bad day(but those are the people you read about in the newspaper the next day).What does bother me is the bikes that ride with there highbeams on at night to light up both lights because it makes there bikes look better than with just one of there lights on.There is alot of bikes that do that here where i live(ANNOYING)

Last edited:
Highbeams anytime until dark too. He was just being a prick.
Next time you see him, just punch him out. Tell him youre a member at zx14.org.:moon:

Given the fact it was daylight, the high beam should not have bothered him or anyone else. Even a high beam is just barely noticeable in daylight, so I think the guy was just looking for trouble.!!
You did the best thing, just ride off and leave the idiot..!! :thumbsup:
I personally don't ride with the high beam on, but it's not a bad idea.

I seem to remember it being recommended to ride with high beams on during the day to make you more visible to other drivers, that being said, I haven't been doing it much since I went HID's, but before that yes all the time. I think that this guy was jsut having a bad day.

But to answer the question posed in the title, yes, it's the world has gone crazy!

I always have my high beam on during the day. Never had that happen. That guy was way out of line. I do know there is a lot of stress in world right now, and he was probably looking for someone to blow up at.

Time for some Hids and go out and find him :laugh: People like that need to realize it is life or death for us because of a bad decision made by a cager and just cut us some slack...

I ride with high beams on during the day for the exact same reason as you do. If anyone has a problem with it....screw em!! My safety is more important than their annoyance!

ALWAYS ride with high beams during the day, ALWAYS!
As per that guy... it was simply one person who's mad a life and has nothing else to do then flit out at everything he sees JUST BECAUSE. Some people don't know how to live otherwise.
As per the gun... well you got a reasonable concern and I'm glad you made it out ok.
Ride safe

always ride w/ the high beam in the daytime. yes, it's annoying but they can always flip there mirror.

I ride with my high beams on during the day both for visibility and because, if an element is going to burn out, I'd rather the high beam burn out first so I'm not blinding everyone after dark. Just a habit I've picked up over the years.

Back