Rear drag slick

r1d3on3

Registered
I am debating on what tire to buy for running at the drag strip with. I just bought a spare wheel off ebay to use for drag racing only. I want to put the best sticking tire I can find on it and will just change wheels when I get ready to head to the drag strip so DOT is not an issue.

I see you can get flat out drag slicks, Mickey Thompson's, etc, or there is the option of going with a tire like a Shinko 003 Ultra Soft. I really don't know which way to go here. One would think with a Mickey there would be much more rubber on the ground but I don't know about the squared off tire? And is a Shinko softer, stickier? I'm new to this and could use a little help. Like I say it's drag strip use only, so what sticks the best?

Thank you ahead of time for any input.:beerchug:

are you trailering there? any class stipulations you'll be racing in?

no classes, and yes i will be trailering it there most likely, may ride it and change when i get there too. but no street riding will be done on this new tire.

i would try a radial first and see how well it hooks for you. i.e. shinko hook up, power one, mickey makes one i think its called a mcr2 or similar.

i dont know much about the square slicks, but i think you may need to look into if they need tubes, and if they need a wider wheel. that could end the search there. if it wont fit in the swingarm.

does anyone use sport compact slicks? there are a number that would fit on the rim, but would they work?

Micke Thompson slicks do not need tubes, and if you do not need to run a DOT tire for the class they are the best option. They will stick everytime, even on poorly prepped tracks, they will last forever....and are fairly inexpensive (approx.$180.00). they have a 5inch and a 7inch that will fit with no problem.

if you want a DOT tire the best is the Mickey thompson shootout. I love this tire, but it does not last as long as the SHinko's

I currently am running the new Shinko, it hooks great and is pretty durable. I have only put about 8 passes on mine...its pretty good, it is heavier than the Mickey and added a tenth to my times all weekend.

I run the 7 inch mt square slick. It doesn't take much of a burnout and hooks everytime. Only issue I had with it was that it would spin on the wheel a little. Had to screw it to the wheel.

I run the 7 inch mt square slick. It doesn't take much of a burnout and hooks everytime. Only issue I had with it was that it would spin on the wheel a little. Had to screw it to the wheel.

So the 7 inch fits in the stock swingarm? How much air do you run in this tire?

also keep in mind the slick is way taller than your stock size tire. be prepared to buy some sprockets. i run 15/47 with the slick and go through the 1/8 in the top of 4th.

I'm running on stock swing arm and i'm currently 17/43. That will probably change at some point but i'm still trying to learn to ride what i have, plus the track is supposed to go 1/4 mile within a month so i don't want to get to caught up in messing with the gearing just yet. I'm just more concerned with the mickey fitting now more than anything. Sounds like thats the only way to go unless your running classes. Thanks for your input.
If anyone else knows if a mickey will fit in a stock swingarm let me know. Thank you for the replies guys! :thumbsup:

Back