suggested ride route from IA to Reno

JUSTANOVA

Registered
I am going to be riding from Iowa to Reno for the busa stampede this year :beerchug:and was looking for suggested ride routes to/from there. I am not necessarily looking for a straight shot as I have a few days to do it. so to anyone between here and there lets hear all your "must ride" roads.:please: so I can put together an exciting and scenic ride out there.

thanks in advance.

Not sure about which roads are a 'must' but I would definitely try to include The Badlands in South Dakota, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Grand Teton National Park, and Yellowstone. The rest looks like slab travel but maybe someone else with chime in. Looks like a fun ride....take lots of pics.

* Extra points for you if you swing to the middle of Nevada and tackle the 'Loneliest Road in America'...Hwy 50

Last edited:
Good luck on the trip man. I wish I could ride out with you. I have to go to Reno for work on the 20th, or I'd be down. Be safe and keep us posted on the trip.

Not sure about which roads are a 'must' but I would definitely try to include The Badlands in South Dakota, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Grand Teton National Park, and Yellowstone. The rest looks like slab travel but maybe someone else with chime in. Looks like a fun ride....take lots of pics.

* Extra points for you if you swing to the middle of Nevada and tackle the 'Loneliest Road in America'...Hwy 50

I have been playing around with google maps and I am leaning toward going a little south into colorado, and hitting the "million dollar highway" plus some other twisty looking roads on the way and it looks like highway 50 is on the way.

Alright bro...been giving this some thought. Understanding the fact that I don't know you at all, if you're trailering the bike, if you're interested in natural scenery, care about National Parks/Monuments, or if you just want to hit the twisties. That said, here is how I would skin that cat. If your desire is to only ride twisties then by all means disregard. On the other hand, if you want to make this a lifetime ride through some of the most dramatic scenary and twisties this nation has to offer then consider these routes....

Going there....

Coming Home...

Let me know what you think...

Last edited:
Alright bro...been giving this some thought. Understanding the fact that I don't know you at all, if you're trailering the bike, if you're interested in natural scenery, care about National Parks/Monuments, or if you just want to hit the twisties. That said, here is how I would skin that cat. If your desire is to only ride twisties then by all means disregard. On the other hand, if you want to make this a lifetime ride through some of the most dramatic scenary and twisties this nation has to offer then consider these routes....

Going there....

Coming Home...

both routes look interesting, when i was playin with the maps the other day I was looking at routes similar to the return trip you posted for the way out, but i am not opposed to doing it the way you suggested out then back. I am going to be riding the bike the whole way and was looking for routes that wouldn't be just slabbin it out on the interstate. I am definately down with great scenery and lifetime style trip.

It looks like warp10 may be heading out too and he seems interested in more of a northern route but I havent spoken to him yet.

I appreciate the suggestions

How's about a straight line and the fun ride starts when you get here ... ? :cool:

There are so many roads out here it would takes months of riding to see them all, just ask Pashnit. :thumbsup:

How's about a straight line and the fun ride starts when you get here ... ? :cool:

There are so many roads out here it would takes months of riding to see them all, just ask Pashnit. :thumbsup:

If I could roll a buck forty + the whole way I80 would be fine, but yeah would love to spend about a year in that area just riding around but this damn career gets in the way of all the fun stuff on my list.

I'm hoping to be in reno on monday sometime and do a little relaxing before the fun starts on tuesday.

Going there....

Coming Home...

I'm not sure if you thought of this but the only other thing about the route that goes through the black hills etc... is that sturgis is going on aug 9-15th so I'm betting traffic would suuuuuck anywhere around there, but at any other time I bet it would be an awesome route to ride.

I am hoping to leave Tuesday a.m. and it is only a 3 + hr ride for me... My wifes Mom was admitted to the hospital yesterday and I will have to play it by ear...

Back