Jacket advice needed.

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I cancelled my order on that mesh Yoshi jacket, mainly due to the fact that I'm going to get sunburned through the mesh. With the skin cancer problems I've had, I'm supposed to stay out of the sun as much as possible.
So my question is this: What kind of armored jacket do I need to stay cool in the summer, yet not let the sun through to my skin. ??
I see there's textile, then textile mesh, then leather with armor, etc, etc.
There's so many choices, I don't have a clue where to start. ???
Currently, I always wear my heavy leather Harley racing type jacket, but it has no armor and it's hotter than hell when it's over 90.

Last edited:
Concur...I have a Dainese perforated jacket and its great when moving...stopped, well its leather and summer so yeah, its hot. I've crashed it on the track and walked away fine and the jacket only suffered scrapes. It is also great in the winter with the full length liner that zips and snaps in.

I have had 3 different mesh jackets. All three have had not only the Cordura mesh outer layer, but also have had a fabric inner layer that I will call "perforated" as opposed to "mesh". The inner fabric is typically black, and allows very, very little, if any, light to pass through. I would surmise that, due to the inner layer, there is zero chance of exposure to sunlight for areas covered with an armored mesh jacket of any type.

I have recently ordered a new mesh jacket, made of Kevlar. It's a very spendy item, but is supposed to be even stronger than leather, though considerably cooler and lighter. We shall see. It is scheduled to arrive in 1 couple of weeks.

As for mesh jackets in general, the higher the "denier" rating, the better. I would avoid the 100% polyester jackets due to their relatively low denier - level of protection.

CW

Last edited:
No sunburn through mine either. Here is a link to the textile jacket.

JoeRocket.com

I also have the Dainese perferated, as others have stated it is ok when moving but is hotter than the textiles.

Leathers003.jpg

I never get sunburn through my mesh jacket.

I was reading some reviews on meshed jackets and a number of people were complaining about getting sunburn, especially with the coarser meshed jackets. I really haven't examined any of them closely to see how they're made, so I guess I need to do that.

I've had a couple of mesh jackets and never had any trouble with sunburn while wearing them. This is my current jacket. I'm not sure how the material compares to other ones though.

Joe Rocket Phoenix_5.0_Jacket.jpg

Kap, I use a kevlar mesh jacket that in my opinion is the best protection made for a rider..fairly expensive..but has soft armour in shoulders, chest for lung protection (see how many people end up with busted ribs and pneumothorax {perforated lungs}, forearms, elbows...
Kevlar is 20 times less likely to come apart in a wreck...no way are u getting sunlight through this jacket...Cycleport...great guy to deal with call 800-777-6499
they have different types of liners for different seasons...this jacket is almost bullet proof..I've rolled off the bike twice and fell over in a slow turn and not felt a single thing...lets lot of air through it also don't sweat to death during the summer...check it out

Infineon Trak Day 10-23-08 018.jpg

Take a day and ride down to Columbus and visit the Iron Pony store. They have gobs upon gobs of jackets in every flavor you could want. I hate buying stuff over the net cuz you just cant get the feel for something that way. So i am a junkie for that store. You can always try stuff on there and order on the net or with a sponsor for better pricing. Trust me, you'll be like a kid in a candy store, so plan a whole day around it.

If you decide to go that route PM me and I will come up and meet you!

Ride daily in south Florida where sun is stronger than most other states and never been burnt or even felt the sun thru my mesh jacket ?
I would like to meet the person who said he got burnt thru his .

Take a day and ride down to Columbus and visit the Iron Pony store. They have gobs upon gobs of jackets in every flavor you could want. I hate buying stuff over the net cuz you just cant get the feel for something that way. So i am a junkie for that store. You can always try stuff on there and order on the net or with a sponsor for better pricing. Trust me, you'll be like a kid in a candy store, so plan a whole day around it.

If you decide to go that route PM me and I will come up and meet you!

OK thanks, that sounds like a nice destination ride for me and the wife.
I'll see how her schedule looks as she's still working...

I live in GA and it gets pretty damn hot down here. I wear a perforated leather jacket most of the year including December, but when it is really hot I wear a textile jacket. Not once have I had a problem with sunburn or even direct sun light in my textile. They are linked below.

1. Teknic Mercury perforated leather
teknic_mercury_jkt_black__13740_zoom.jpg

2. Cortech GX Air textile

Cortech_GX_Air_Jacket_White-Black_zoom.jpg

Wear a long sleeve shirt under your jacket. Under armor or just any old T-shirt. On hot days, white or gray. Why buy another jacket and have too many (like me)
I have both, leather and textile. My quest for the most useful jacket ended with the Tourmaster Flex 2. The outer shell is wind/water proof. Unzip the outer shell and there is a mesh jacket which contains all the armor. Inside the mesh is a removable thermal liner. When the jacket is all together it will keep you comfortable from 40 degrees to 90. Over 90 degrees is just hot. Under 40 too dang cold without electrics.

flex.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Tourmaster jacket with ALL the vents open all through the Texas summer. It gets a little warm at traffic lights, but the tradeoff is that you are VERY visible, I have never had anybody even get close to me when using it. Our company safety officer has told me how I have caught his attention at over a mile away.

tourmaster_transitions_2.jpg

currently using the firstgear mesh/textile jacket with no issues.. Speed and Strength make some nice jackets also.. :thumbsup:

I was reading some reviews on meshed jackets and a number of people were complaining about getting sunburn, especially with the coarser meshed jackets. I really haven't examined any of them closely to see how they're made, so I guess I need to do that.

Mine is a Joe Rocket. I wore it on one of our Cassoday meets which is an all day deal. Coming back to Kansas City we rode by a bank sign that said 107 deg. No problem with sunburn all day long.

Last edited:
Back