Beat the Heat! Cooling Vest!

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I'd finally had enough, and 100+ or not, I was going for a ride. So I geared up (leather pants, mesh jacket, boots/gloves helmet) and went out. It was HOT; over 100 and high humidity. I motored down the the local Cyclegear store amd they were selling those Motoboss cooling vests for $34.95. I figured, what the heck, so I bought one, cut the tags off and soaked it in the bathroom sink.

It works. It's worth about 10 degrees difference in temp. I was still pretty hot, but not nearly as uncomfortable as without it. I went ahead and rode another hour or so since it wasn't so bad. When I got home it was starting to dry out. My t-shirt was damp, but not uncomfortable (as pouring a bottle of water down my jacket would be).

When I got home I did a little reserach, and found a site that sells the same thing for less (and has black and safety lime green colors; Cyclegear has the gray one):

Cooling*::*Climate Wear*::*PalmFlex

1712-T.jpg

1711-T.jpg

1071-T.jpg

Looks like the same vest. I think the purchase was worth it. I'm thinking this might be PEFECT for wearing under my leathers for these incredibly hot trackdays down here in the South...maybe even soak it in my Ice cooler before buttoning up and going out...I may be onto something here....

Works through evaporation I'd guess. Wonder if it will still work well in low 90s with big humidity #s.

They are not intended for high humidity, last time I wore mine was in Ohio a couple years ago. Even though the humidity was a little high, it still cooled me off. They are worth $30.

They are not intended for high humidity, last time I wore mine was in Ohio a couple years ago. Even though the humidity was a little high, it still cooled me off. They are worth $30.

Ya know, I don't mind it being hot out, but this 85-100% humidity is killing me. It's like driving around with a blow dryer in your face all day long.

UPDATE: This weekend I managed to get a ride in...this time I put the vest in the freezer for awhile before I went out. It was 96 and I was pretty danged comfortable. Keeping my core temp down also kept my legs from sweating much in my leathers. There were plenty of people out riding in shorts and t-shirts and looked miserable; I could pull up beside them at the stoplight and they'd look at me like "how can that guy stand it?"

I'm going to put it in my ice chest between sessions at next trackday (14th at Nashville); it's going to keep me cool for at least 20 minutes and will make a big difference in comfort/stamina (not that i'll be any better a rider, just more comfortable!)

Last edited:
Good idea, I looked at those this weekend when I bought my new tires. I may have to pick one up. Rode to work today and actual temps are supposed to be 104, the index will be higher than that. :poke:

Soak it, wring it out and throw it in freezer at least hour before riding...you will be amazed...

Is it like putting on a wet sweater, or what ?? I can stand the heat, but the humidity here KILLS ME !!

I have one and wore it all last weekend for 700 some miles.

Works for the afternoon portion of the ride. In the 90's in the canyons. Up to 9000 ft down to 2000 ft an hour later. :(

Strange thing about a cooling vest is headed up the canyon into Yosemite NP, I was cold - in 93 degree heat. Weird huh.

They do work great though. Well worth the 35 bucks. Definitely one of those products I should have bought years ago.

Back